• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

dd oil?

C
Oct 17, 2001
Ft Collins CO
Does anyone know what oil I can use in my diamond drive other than Arctic CAt brand? There are no dealers around here and I would like to change the oil in my dd while I have it out. Thanks.

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
i've been running 10w hoist oil, its antifoaming and only about $10 a gallon. you can get it at any parts store, the brand i'm running is aerolube. the best part is being able to flush it everytime i change the oil...

BD-Xtreme

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
There's been alot of discussion on the threads about what oil to use in the Diamond Drive gearbox's. I appreciate the responses that have been made but I would like to clarify the issue. We have tested many types ( including the hydraulic, ATF, different grade transmission oils ) oils for 2 years during the testing phase of the gearbox from 2000 to 2002. The only oil that made it through the duration testing (5,000 miles) was the oil that Arctic Cat and Black Diamond sell. It was specifically blended to meet all the stringent requirements that this gearbox can encounter. I know that other oils will work for a period of time and may look better but the additives that are in the DD oil for the high load and RPM of the planet gears are a must if you want maximum life. The planetary gears can spin up to 40,000 RPM during high speeds. I know the oil is a bit spendy but for $6.00 a year it's very good insurance. Thanks for listing, my professional advise is get the oil from Arctic Cat or Black Diamond and have fun riding!
Ray

T
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
There's been alot of discussion on the threads about what oil to use in the Diamond Drive gearbox's. I appreciate the responses that have been made but I would like to clarify the issue. We have tested many types ( including the hydraulic, ATF, different grade transmission oils ) oils for 2 years during the testing phase of the gearbox from 2000 to 2002. The only oil that made it through the duration testing (5,000 miles) was the oil that Arctic Cat and Black Diamond sell. It was specifically blended to meet all the stringent requirements that this gearbox can encounter. I know that other oils will work for a period of time and may look better but the additives that are in the DD oil for the high load and RPM of the planet gears are a must if you want maximum life. The planetary gears can spin up to 40,000 RPM during high speeds. I know the oil is a bit spendy but for $6.00 a year it's very good insurance. Thanks for listing, my professional advise is get the oil from Arctic Cat or Black Diamond and have fun riding!
Ray

Makes complete sense!! That's why Cat has product validation testing to prove which oil will work best for this application. If there were other oils that perform better under longevity and loads they would use it. Other oils most likely break down significantly faster, thus increasing heat/friction.

Premium Features