• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Why are you buying a Lynx?

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I love my re except for the trenching. Was debating on trying a freeride because it's so much lighter. I love the suspension. It rides better than anything I've ever been on. Just got towed out by my buddy's boost because I put a rock through my front heat exchanger. They were whining how sore they were and how rough the trail was. Told them it was good on the lynx. I do like the tank area is a fuzz narrower.
Mainly it's the suspension for me.

K
Sep 9, 2013
Bend, Oregon
I'm on a 22 lnyx. Going to snowcheck a 24. Gen 5 now.

Reasons...
1) I dunno I like to be different.
2) and the main one ..That rear suspension is something to behold. I can't go back to ski do. Lynx its like a dirt bike in the whoops, which yea we have to ride them here, it makes me enjoy them honestly like i'm on my dirt bike.

M7sleddn

Lifetime Membership
Dec 11, 2007
Twin Falls, Id
The suspension just works better. On a rough trail it works better. Side hilling it doesn't collapse when you hit ruts. Climbing if you hit old tracks or anything it absorbs everything. Turboless Terry convinced me to put slydog skis on and they made it even better in all situations. I have a freeride and I like riding it, but I would choose a lynx all day long over any of the ski doos. Rode an expert last weekend. Again I would take the lynx because the suspension works better. Of course this is my riding style. I enjoy climbing but I prefer riding in the trees and being on edge the lynx just works better for me.

Blu Du

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2008
Nisswa Mn.
My kids boondocker 4100 just flat out rips. I would have no issues giving up my turbo r for a na lynx. I am going to order a re turbo for a spare sled

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
I was amazed at how much I preferred the Lynx over my Doo, I just rode it for a short time but it felt more predictable climbing and on edge. Almost like a blend of a Doo and a Polaris. Suspension felt very plush.

It is like 20-25lbs heavier, which is substantial IMO, but I really couldn’t tell. The hood and side panel area looks really wide when on the sled… your brain tells you its a big sled, but it doesn’t feel big or wide while actually riding.

I’m back on a Polaris for the time being, but I think I would go for a DS over an Expert.

B
Dec 16, 2017
Thinking about Snow checking a Lynx Shedder DS 4100, I'm currently riding a 2022 Expert Turbo 165. I've got a few questions for the people that have them;

-Is parts availability a big issue over Doo? Is the dealer able to cross reference part numbers and get you fixed up or is this a pain?
-Is the trenching issue as prevalent with the 4100?
-What is the track longevity like compared to the 22 Doo? I realize there is a new track coming for 24 but perhaps they will be similar. Would like to be able to run the trail without having to worry about loosing lugs.
-For the guys running the SLY DOG Skis, which model are you running?
-Are you loosing Deep Snow performance over the Summit X or Expert/Freeride?

-Were we ride is a bit of a unique spot, once you get to the mountains it is typical back country BC Norther Rockies. However there is 50km + Of trail to run either way from camp. Basically I'm hoping the Lynx will be a good fit as it sounds like its an awesome trail machine, (Ours aren't always the best) as well as a beast in the back country.

-Also for reference I'm 6' 5" and weigh 240lbs without gear. Any other bigger guys think this is a more robust option or is it just me?

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
No idea on track. Big thing ia not running too fast on trail with 3 inch. Most i know that had problems were going over 50.
Best sled I've rode on trail.
Less traction than 16 wide.
My re trenches bad but limit strap is full long. Buddy said his 4100 is good.
I run slydog attack
They are more robust. 2 rivets in running board kickup, full size ski rubbers, 2 screws in clutch intake. They are just built stouter. That is why their heavier.

R

Reddragon800

Feb 26, 2013
I own a Shredder DS4100 and absolutely love it. Im 6'8" , 235 and dont mind the extra weight. It may bother smaller riders tho. the shredder has a few things that need to be changed. The stock 15" track is the first thing to go. The added weight makes the sled trench. I put the NEW skidoo 3" on and it so much better. Put the limiter strap to the second hole from the top, this also helps with the trenching. Must have some aftermarket drivers, either Avid or Powderfreaks. I run the slydog attacks and they are better then the stock wide DS skis. The rear suspension is just so good.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I own a Shredder DS4100 and absolutely love it. Im 6'8" , 235 and dont mind the extra weight. It may bother smaller riders tho. the shredder has a few things that need to be changed. The stock 15" track is the first thing to go. The added weight makes the sled trench. I put the NEW skidoo 3" on and it so much better. Put the limiter strap to the second hole from the top, this also helps with the trenching. Must have some aftermarket drivers, either Avid or Powderfreaks. I run the slydog attacks and they are better then the stock wide DS skis. The rear suspension is just so good.
I love my re but trenches like crazy. Limit strap is full long. I'm 6'1 and 180 so i have to throw a leg when you just shift your weight. Shortening limiter means planted or heavy to me. Doo track seemed stiffer to me. Did you just throw a 16 wide under it? They are coming with new track for 24. Hope it's for the good. Was about to throw 2.75 off 9r. Can't make that track trench. We have tighter trees down here. Roast around a corner and you might not have a place to go. Reallly unforgiving there. Just roasted my heat exchanger going downhill on a 40 degree slope. Sucked a rock and stuck going downhill. Buddy came and gave me a pull so i could get it out and down to trail before i ran out of antifreeze. Still couldn't get it. It would move forward but would just keep digging deeper. Finally dug front-end out and leveled front some. Buddy was asking how i found a rock. Go look at that trench. Going for a ds 154 turbo. I will leave limiter in probably 2 where you're in 3. Most of weight difference is in track frame so should be 25 pounds less than my re with big guage. Like the suspension too much to go to a freeride. Love the sled for 75 percent of my riding. Not willing to go to a 165. Just have to ride it faster.
Slydogs are night and day.

K
Sep 9, 2013
Bend, Oregon
Thinking about Snow checking a Lynx Shedder DS 4100, I'm currently riding a 2022 Expert Turbo 165. I've got a few questions for the people that have them;

-Is parts availability a big issue over Doo? Is the dealer able to cross reference part numbers and get you fixed up or is this a pain?
It kinda sucked on my 2022 Lynx. Mine got damaged in shipping and new side panel didn't show up until the end of the season which I have still not picked up even on season 2. ( a sticker was scuffed lol ) - Most of it is ski doo parts anyway, so like a ski doo skid plate or bumper will work, just had the wrong logo on it.

However... I got a new bumper for it pretty quick when i kissed a tree.
-Is the trenching issue as prevalent with the 4100?
I have no idea, not noticed vs my old ski doo. ( 4100 '22 boondoocker vs 2014 summit 165 )
-What is the track longevity like compared to the 22 Doo? I realize there is a new track coming for 24 but perhaps they will be similar. Would like to be able to run the trail without having to worry about loosing lugs.
No idea.
-For the guys running the SLY DOG Skis, which model are you running?
Dunno
-Are you loosing Deep Snow performance over the Summit X or Expert/Freeride?
Again, I don't know
-Were we ride is a bit of a unique spot, once you get to the mountains it is typical back country BC Norther Rockies. However there is 50km + Of trail to run either way from camp. Basically I'm hoping the Lynx will be a good fit as it sounds like its an awesome trail machine, (Ours aren't always the best) as well as a beast in the back country.

-Also for reference I'm 6' 5" and weigh 240lbs without gear. Any other bigger guys think this is a more robust option or is it just me?
I'm 6'6" 240... I'm going with a 2024 lynx shredder RE. There is nothing wrong with my 2022 lynx boondocker ds, but i want the even better shocks this time.

Last edited:

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
According to their websites, the Lynx is 50 pounds heavier than the Doo Expert.

I love the look of the Lynx but that is too much of a weight penalty.

D
Dec 22, 2018
If you ride more open and shallow terrain Lynx is good. If you ride steep&deep and technical, ski-doo crushes it. Skidoo climbs better, floats better, is lighter. Lynx is more playful maybe, more stabile on high speeds.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Not sure where the 50lbs came from- heres some weights, all Turbo
Summit X 154- 448lbs
Summit Expert 154- 449lbs
Freeride 154- 459lbs
Shredder DS 3900- 476lbs
Shredder RE 3900- 495lbs (...probably where the 50lbs came from, makes sense)

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I seen 493 on 24 re. My 23 re was listed at 496 plus i had big guage which was supposed to add 5 pounds. Then i put slydogs on and bet they are 2 pounds a ski heavier. Ds+ skis look heavy but are lighter than they look. Bet mine is 505 dry. Most of the extra weight is on the back end. It's no wonder they trench a little

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
I go back and forth with whether I think the extra weight on the Lynx really matters... put a can on the DS and its with 15-18lbs of a stock Expert. Will you really notice that? I'm not convinced that you will. I sure didn't notice it when I hopped on the Lynx. Then I think about the boosted Lynx being almost 50lbs heavier than an NA Doo... 50lbs is a lot. Even if you aren't feeling it each time you pull on the bars it has to be slowly fatiguing a guy throughout the day.

Boost is kind of weird in that it makes for a more fatiguing sled, but can also help offset extra weight. Every pound does matter, BUT at what point does it actually make a difference? I'm not sure... but I don't think the additional 27lbs on the DS should be a deal breaker when compared to the Doo.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I go back and forth with whether I think the extra weight on the Lynx really matters... put a can on the DS and its with 15-18lbs of a stock Expert. Will you really notice that? I'm not convinced that you will. I sure didn't notice it when I hopped on the Lynx. Then I think about the boosted Lynx being almost 50lbs heavier than an NA Doo... 50lbs is a lot. Even if you aren't feeling it each time you pull on the bars it has to be slowly fatiguing a guy throughout the day.

Boost is kind of weird in that it makes for a more fatiguing sled, but can also help offset extra weight. Every pound does matter, BUT at what point does it actually make a difference? I'm not sure... but I don't think the additional 27lbs on the DS should be a deal breaker when compared to the Doo.
I don't think it make a big difference. It's in the back mainly. I do believe that is why my re trenches worse than anything. Its like have 2 4 gallon jugs on the back of an expert and seeing how it does.
I was going to go the Freeride route but doing a ds turbo 154. Just like that suspension.

B
Dec 16, 2017
I checked both spec sheets and got a 24lb difference

2024 Ski Doo Expert turbo 165 456lbs Dry
2024 Lynx DS Turbo 165 218KG's = 480lbs Dry

I'd like to go the RE route for the shock package as well but I live for the deep days and it would be nice to keep the weight-cost down a little.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
I checked both spec sheets and got a 24lb difference

2024 Ski Doo Expert turbo 165 456lbs Dry
2024 Lynx DS Turbo 165 218KG's = 480lbs Dry

I'd like to go the RE route for the shock package as well but I live for the deep days and it would be nice to keep the weight-cost down a little.

Shredder RE 850 N/A 3900 3 inch lug = 218 kg = 480 pounds

Ski Doo Summit 850 N/A Expert 154 3 inch lug = 430 pounds

50 pound weight difference.

Premium Features