• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

XP rolls down Highway @ 70 mph

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
I
Dec 14, 2001
Archer, Idaho
Well, not a good start to the season :(

Just left HPS having installed their new silencer on SnoJo's new XP-X.

Returning home back to Rexburg Motor Sports to pick up my new XP, 40 miles North on I-20 here in Idaho, crossed the Snake River @ Thorton Bridge doing 75 mph towing our 19' enclosed Interstate trailer, hit the road seam gap as we entered the bridge, already is a significant bump.

Trailer tongue POPPED of the ball, started violent fish tails across the bridge and on down the road, Sparks everywhere lit up the night, car lights behind me bailing out everywhere - It was alot of traffic. Lots of sparks, violent jerking, I tried to get the trailer speed down but could see the trailer sideways almost hitting both side's of my outift, so increased speed on and off so as to not get sideswiped and put the F250 into a spin, and still trying to slow down / stop.

The trailer chains finally gave way and I saw in my rear mirror the tongue hit a road seam and the trailer flip over and crossed the right hand lane into the borrow pit with SnoJos new XP inside :( :eek:

The most important thing was that Miraculously everyone following was able to stop and get out of the way with no collisions.

Was able to get the trailer door open, it was chaos inside, will take pics later this morning and show you. We drug SnoJo's XP out, incredibly, minor damage to the handle bars, bent her new handguards and a broken kill switch, a few minor scratches. Hit the electric start and it fired, started, then stalled, hit it again and it roared to life and I DROVE it up to the road. Taking it in in a few hours to have it checked over.

WOW, what a night :(

p.s. ......... Guess this finally puts to rest all the worries about these XP's hitting a pine cone and totaling eh ?? !!! :D

Last edited:
R

RMK7SledHead

Oct 20, 2001
p.s. ......... Guess this finally puts to rest all the worries about these XP's hitting a pine cone and totaling eh ?? !!! :D

why? was there a pinecone in the trailer with it? seems to me that it was shielded from all life-ending cones by the trailer during it's ride off the roadway. :)

sledr900

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2007
WSS, MT
Sorry for the bad luck and I am glad no one was hurt. But, since you mentioned the pine cone I will analyze the situation further:
Basically what has been proven here is that if you leave the XP in an enclosed trailer you should not have to worry about it crumpling like tin foil when the trailer hits the infamous pine cone. But, if by accident there is a pine cone in the trailer and due to rough roads the pine cone is flying around inside the trailer we still don't know if the XP would be totalled.

Slim,
Did you inspect the interior of the trailer for a pine cone? That may have been the cause of the bent handlebars.
Once again, sorry for the accident and also sorry I have to be such a smarta** on a Saturday morning.

T
Nov 26, 2007
Rigby ID
Holy Crap, man that section has always been rough....
Sorry to hear, thankfully you are OK....
was Jo with you?
Let me know if you are getting another Interstate, I know a guy
in Boise.

B
Nov 21, 2007
Jackson WY
Holy Cow. It is supposed to be exiciting to pick up a new sled but you guys must be X-treem.
Sorry about your bad luck, any idea what caused the coupler to come unglued?

I
Dec 14, 2001
Archer, Idaho
Thanks Barry

Holy Crap, man that section has always been rough....
Sorry to hear, thankfully you are OK....
was Jo with you?
Let me know if you are getting another Interstate, I know a guy
in Boise.

Yup, she was with me, she's bummed of course, but we both know this could have been extrememly more serious. We are thankfull noone behind us collided with the wadyward trailer :) Insurance should cover everything, hopefully we wont take to bad a hit on upgrading to a new trailer, there is now an Interstate dealer in IF, its where Josh - Alticity bought his. I'll see what kind of price I can get and then see if your guy in Boise can beat it.

Justin T. came all the way from Idaho falls with his trailer so we could load it and take it home, that man is one "too ride the river with" ;)

One thing peoples, I hear all the time that most dont strap down their sleds inside an enclosed, I always doo, and I think this helped save alot of damage to SnoJo's XP, other the the gear tool box etc. that was flying around hitting it did the damage. WHich is not insured yet !!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

Strap those sleds down !!!

Cant figure why it came off, bad tongue design we think, we just drove 1500 mileslast weekend taking our sold sleds to drop off in Cananda, and no problems. After 4years I am stumped, I made sure it was locked in, since you cant latch the coupler unless it is all the way down on the ball, the ball is cut to hell, so dunno, will have a "clamshell/collar" installed on the new trailer (like our horse trailer).

Last edited:

Ace Freely

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2002
Wenatchee, WA
Slim, wasn't the old 2 5/16" hitch on a 2" ball trick??? ;>

....man that blows, at least no one was hurt!!!!

Ace

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT
No worse feeling than letting a rig get out of contol ,at least no injuries. Sorry for the bad luck. HV

Bagger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
South Central WA
Holy *hit

Slim, glad that all are ok, jeeze........you know I have never tied 'em down either......till now.
If you need a trailer you can use mine 'till you get set up. I have a small two place that I can use local, no problem just whistle. J

Premium Features