• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Who Uses A 1/2 Ton?

Long Gone

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2007
Twin Falls, Idaho
I am in the market for a used enclosed trailer. I do not want to have to upgrade to a 3/4 ton pick up. Does any one use a 1/2 ton pick u to pull a 4 place enclosed with 4 sleds in it? How does it handle on slick roads?

xcr800man

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
The only way that I would pull a 4 place with a 1/2 ton is if it was a Floe with a Protector cover on it. Otherwise you are asking for an accident or a damaged vehicle.

I had a 24' Pace 4 place that I pulled with a 1/2 Ton. It was white knuckle driving almost the entire time. I wouldnt let anyone else drive it for fear of them crashing. The 1/2 tons just dont have the suspension, power (most of the time) or brakes for that matter.

Now I have a 2500HD and a 2500 Suburban and they make towing that trailer a dream.

As for the Floe...

These trailers are perfect for the guy that wants a enclosed trailer but doesnt want a 3/4 ton. The Protector cover from Floe gives you the light weight pulling from an aluminum open trailer with the basic enclosure that keeps the sleds out of the elements. My friends and I pull a 20' Floe with a 1/2 ton pickup Ext Cab, a 1/2 ton suburban, and a 1/2 ton Tahoe. All have the mass and power to handle that trailer on the slickest roads.

Only drawback... Floe (although I feel makes the best "open" trailer out there) has pathetic brakes. Hardly worth mentioning that they have brakes.

Anyway, these are my .02 but If you have to pull an enclosed with a 1/2 ton, go for a Floe with an enclosure or something similar. ESPECIALLY in the mountains.

Trashy

⚙️
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2003
Sherwood Park, Ab, Canada
trailer/ half ton

I have used a 20' featherlight with a 1/2 ton (7700 GVW F150) and it pulled ok. It DOES involve a compromise tho... its not a sled trailer; it's only 7 feet wide so that means you need to load each pair forward and backward side by side so they fit. That trailer was light being aluminum, and didn't push much air because it was both narrow and low to the ground like a car hauler instead of the trailer sitting entirely on top of the axles like most sled trailers... Because of the distance we have to travel to ride (5-8 hours) I don't feel that an extra couple minutes to load is a big deal, and the trade off of MUCH improved gas mileage is well worth it. It towed very well and had excellent brakes; I am having a new one built and going one step further with a slightly narrower width and a lower overall height.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
I am in the market for a used enclosed trailer. I do not want to have to upgrade to a 3/4 ton pick up. Does any one use a 1/2 ton pick u to pull a 4 place enclosed with 4 sleds in it? How does it handle on slick roads?

My 1/2 ton was fine for a 4-place open trailer ... but as soon as I got my enclosed, albeit a small enclosed, it was a different story. The enclosed trailers pick up a lot more wind .... drag going forward, as well as wind wagging the trailer from side to side.

I upgraded last fall to a 3/4 ton and it's been MUCH better for pulling my enclosed ...

Long Gone

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2007
Twin Falls, Idaho
Thanks, those are the same thoughts that I have had. I didn't know if I was just trying to be overly conservative. The only way that I have thought about pulling a full 4 place is if it was a all aluminum trailer.

Trashy

⚙️
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2003
trailer/ half ton

I also cannot put enough emphasis on the need for a good equalizer hitch with bars.... all the difference in the world when it comes to minimizing trailer wag/sway from wind/passing vehicles/etc... hard to find a setup for most v-nose trailers tho.

jsledder

Lifetime Membership
Jul 9, 2001
SD
www.outdoorsupplyonline.com
Speaking of which.... I saw a 1/2 ton F150, like a 92-93 or so, pulling a 26-28' 5th wheel camper and a 1850 lund behind that. It's hemmy's were dragging on the ground.

W
Nov 26, 2007
St. Cloud, MN
pulled a 24 foot 7foot wide with three sleds in it up the pass to the parking lot outside of cooke city with a dodge half ton hemi. It did ok but when the weather got bad it was not much fun. I think that trailer was pushing the safe factor. Your talking about another sled and most likely a 8.5' wide you will be catching alot more wind.

I
Dec 5, 2007
Red Deer, AB
you may be able to tow a 27 footer with a honda civic if you can get it hooked up, some of you guys are missing the point, your vehicle has a specific gvwr and towing capacity. Check your weights, it's your life, only it is usually the innocent bystander that gets injured or killed. If you are in an accident and someone sees your load AS IN POLICE, you may want to think of this again. you may have insurance canceled, fines, sued by injured party, man long gone you must have the cash, to take this kind of risk, I would love to have you crack a fender on my ride as I would maybe fill the truck box with a bit of your cash.

Check your weights, Brakes etc, as you are likely overloading your truck, Dot's will love you.

Maybe this is a joke question, You're Very Funny

U
Nov 26, 2007
NW Montana
The only way that I would pull a 4 place with a 1/2 ton is if it was a Floe with a Protector cover on it. Otherwise you are asking for an accident or a damaged vehicle.

I had a 24' Pace 4 place that I pulled with a 1/2 Ton. It was white knuckle driving almost the entire time. I wouldnt let anyone else drive it for fear of them crashing. The 1/2 tons just dont have the suspension, power (most of the time) or brakes for that matter.

Now I have a 2500HD and a 2500 Suburban and they make towing that trailer a dream.

As for the Floe...

These trailers are perfect for the guy that wants a enclosed trailer but doesnt want a 3/4 ton. The Protector cover from Floe gives you the light weight pulling from an aluminum open trailer with the basic enclosure that keeps the sleds out of the elements. My friends and I pull a 20' Floe with a 1/2 ton pickup Ext Cab, a 1/2 ton suburban, and a 1/2 ton Tahoe. All have the mass and power to handle that trailer on the slickest roads.

Only drawback... Floe (although I feel makes the best "open" trailer out there) has pathetic brakes. Hardly worth mentioning that they have brakes.

Anyway, these are my .02 but If you have to pull an enclosed with a 1/2 ton, go for a Floe with an enclosure or something similar. ESPECIALLY in the mountains.

Couldn't agree with you more.
On icy mountainous roads you want the total trailer weight to be 40% max or less than the "total gross combined vehicle weight". Again that 40% is max, 30% or 20% is what I would consider safe to really safe.
Forget about the mfg's towing weights, thats for dry roads.

I have been thru a half a dozen truck and trailer combos over the years, been scared a couple of times and finely ended up with a 4wd crew 1ton dually and a floe enclosed 2 place with 2 more sleds on the truck. I live up a narrow gravel road so this setup is probably a little over kill but it sure is solid in every winter condition imaginable, period. my .02

C
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton, AB
you may be able to tow a 27 footer with a honda civic if you can get it hooked up, some of you guys are missing the point, your vehicle has a specific gvwr and towing capacity. Check your weights, it's your life, only it is usually the innocent bystander that gets injured or killed. If you are in an accident and someone sees your load AS IN POLICE, you may want to think of this again. you may have insurance canceled, fines, sued by injured party, man long gone you must have the cash, to take this kind of risk, I would love to have you crack a fender on my ride as I would maybe fill the truck box with a bit of your cash.

Check your weights, Brakes etc, as you are likely overloading your truck, Dot's will love you.

Maybe this is a joke question, You're Very Funny

If a properely equipped 1500 is overloaded by a 4 place enclosed, you must sled with guys who weight 1000lbs, or your sled must have a frigging 360 in it. A 4 place enclosed MIGHT weight 5k, that is quite generous. A 1500 is rated to tow 7k easily, not saying you SHOULD but that is LEGAL. Icy roads do NOT affect your legal towing limit, it is stricly limiting how much anyone would WANT to safely tow. Now i'm going to agree that a 1500 shouldn't tow a 4 place enclosed, but don't go posting a bunch of bull**** that it's illegal and would lead to all this blah blah blah.

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
Legal: Yes
Safe on dry roads: Yes
Safe on wet roads: Ya, not too bad
Safe on snowy/icy roads: not in my opinion, I'd opt for a heavier tow rig to have more control over the trailer, or it'll push you all over the road (or off the road:eek:)

SAWYER

Lifetime Membership
Jan 12, 2006
Kingston Idaho
it's funny how in the mid 90's everyone seemed to be fine towing witha half ton. But now unless you have a 1 ton, diesel you can't haul a box of popcorn

R

Ron

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 4, 2006
Boise
I'd say it depends on the truck vs the load & lots of 1/2's work fine if within rated limits. At one extreme you have the 1/2 Toyota Tundra rated at 10,000+ vs some older 1/2's rated at 6000. An aluminum trailer may be only 3-400#'s less than a steel frame trailer. Charmac steel vs Featherlite Alum. for example. You can add more than that 400 lbs with heavier sleds and tools. On slick roads the trailer tires and trailer brakes are more vital than the weight & braking of the tow vehicle. In fact you can buy good traction tires on a 1/2 such as the Bridgestone Blizzak that will make for much safer operation on any tow vehicle. The equalizer hitch is a must for heavy trailers.
It's all in the total package, in my opinion & requires some careful thought no matter what vehicle you use for towing.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
just a suggestion here...I custom stud my own tires...and while I know alot of states dont allow studs..if you can use them..you should..stock studded tires normally run about 100 studs per tire..we find that putting 300 + adds lots of control..I run 650 in each truck tire ..as well as 200 in each trailer tire on my 4 place...I also run trailer brakes on both axles...even on the slickest of days it handles about the same as on rainy pavement.....towing with a half ton wouldnt be a problem...

bparks

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Evergreen, Co
4 place trailer

i have 96 dodge 1500 pulls my 26 ft enclosed haulmark steel frame trailer just fine with little mods . i put 1 ton springs get from junk yard , update brakes with cross drilled and slotted rotors and ceramic pads from summit . i pulled all around colorado,and from colorado to massachusetts no problems . i would hope the trailer has brakes so truck brake upgrade no critical . i have a v8 360 so engine power not a problem .

Trashy

⚙️
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2003
studded tires

Studded tires do make a huge difference... truck AND trailer... if it is a winter-only trailer and you can get away with them they are worth every penny!

just a suggestion here...I custom stud my own tires...and while I know alot of states dont allow studs..if you can use them..you should..stock studded tires normally run about 100 studs per tire..we find that putting 300 + adds lots of control..I run 650 in each truck tire ..as well as 200 in each trailer tire on my 4 place...I also run trailer brakes on both axles...even on the slickest of days it handles about the same as on rainy pavement.....towing with a half ton wouldnt be a problem...

R
Sep 1, 2001
Maple Grove, MN

Tons of people do this all over the midwest. I don't know about out west as mostly you see the big rigs out there but going up north or to michigan in the winter it's more 1/2'ers then anything else.

If you bought the narrower 4 place that is simply just longer it would be great for the 1/2 ton. Honestly IMO the new 1/2 tons are totally capable of pulling it, handling it and so on. Just put electric or electric over hydraulic brakes on the thing and you will be fine.

I would make sure the 1/2 ton is set up for towing though. Meaning correct gears, tires, and so on also mirrors, you best be able to see around that trailer, guys that don't have the mirrors to see around their load piss me off. You won't want to be pulling that with 3:55's and 20" wheels that aren't even load rated that is for sure.

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
I also cannot put enough emphasis on the need for a good equalizer hitch with bars.... all the difference in the world when it comes to minimizing trailer wag/sway from wind/passing vehicles/etc... hard to find a setup for most v-nose trailers tho.

That seems to be the difference. You can tow it with a 1 ton and no special hitches or you can tow it with a 1/2 ton using an equalizing hitch and a good sway control (not the friction types!). You will definitely need good brakes on the trailer with a good brake controller too. You should probably carry chains for the vehicle and at least one of the braking axle on the trailer. Both vehicles will handle it fine, the difference is the maximum speed at which you can comfortably travel. With a 1/2 ton you need to realize you are closer to its limits then you will be with a 1 ton, and you should drive accordingly. Seem like most people that say you need a 1 ton, due so because they drive there tow rig and trailer like they do there cars. IMO I would have no qualms driving my Jeep Lib. with a three place enclosed with a good hitch and trailer sway control, brakes and controller... but you won't see me going over 60mph on the interstates. I would also be chaining up much more often. But for those that don't need a 1 ton all the time, a 1/2 ton will do fine.

Speed is what is the most dangerous. I find it continually interesting that people tow with 1 tons with there GCVW close to max, but yet if you do the same with a 1/2 ton you are unsafe.:rolleyes:

Premium Features