• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Who Carrys a second avy pack canister with them?

1500psi

Lifetime Membership
Feb 11, 2008
Just thinking lately after being in a avy in the morning most people don't go home.

AKDoug

Lifetime Membership
Jan 27, 2009
I figure that if I have to pull the handle my sled is probably damaged and I imagine I'd have no more interest in riding that day. I don't know because I haven't had to pull the handle yet.

I do take fairly extended trips from home with no place to recharge a canister, so I'll be picking up another one soon to have in the truck or at the lodge.

GreenState

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2012
McCall
We're putting an extra cylinder in the truck next season. I've been on two rides this year that people have deployed bags, neither one involved an avalanche. One guy aggressively grabbed for his hydration hose in the middle of a meadow and picked the wrong side. The second guy caught the handle on his sled while getting it unstuck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

flying frenchman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 27, 2009
Alberta, Canada
We used to have a spare in the truck between a few of us just in case. Sold the airbags and extra cannister.
2 things I hated the most, 1 weight and 2 always getting my helmet hooked on the handle. Just a pain in the a** .
Don't put yourself in a bad situation. If you deploy it your already in it.

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
We don't. I have thought about it though. Maybe time to rethink. Are the canisters interchangeable between different avy pack manufactures?

A

AMAX

Dec 22, 2014
Word has it that it's pretty embarrassing to arrive at the pearly gates having to tell them you bought the farm in the SECOND Avalanche you triggered that day.

R
Feb 29, 2016
I think the reason to have a spare is in case of an inadvertent release, not because you are so bad you like setting off slides and testing your bag. I have seen two different accidental releases. Having a spare means you can go about your riding and still have a functional airbag pack.

Meadow Muffin

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2012
SE Iowa
I purchased a hand pump to refill the cylinders.http://www.pyramydair.com/ The pump is for a pellet gun and takes about 10 min to completely refill an empty tank. We have had tanks leak down from a bad o-ring ect. This works well and you never have to go looking for a refill station. Cost was around $150.00 shipped and no adapters need for BCA.
Hope this helps,
Muffin

jokerman

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
Wy.
If you have a BCA bottle; buy a 80cf scuba tank and yoke,then you can refill in the trailer or not; has served me this season when an acci-deploy; $7 to fill,that way your not looking for a refill station on an extended trip:) just my 2 pennies

1500psi

Lifetime Membership
Feb 11, 2008
Hard to imagine having to deploy the bag AND still wanting to press on with MORE RIDING that same day.

So When everyone is witness to a Avy they run for the truck? Or it's the it'll never happen to me until your in your first slide of the day and then you run for the truck? I've never seen anyone leave and run for the truck after being in a Avy even completely buried and not breathing and having to be revived, I'd think if you did that you'd never ride again. I asked the original question for real life situations, you drop into a area and it breaks and the only way out 2 other avys happen and your without a airbag. Being in the truck doesn't help at the time. I've been thinking about the scenario a lot.

R
Feb 29, 2016
So When everyone is witness to a Avy they run for the truck? Or it's the it'll never happen to me until your in your first slide of the day and then you run for the truck? I've never seen anyone leave and run for the truck after being in a Avy even completely buried and not breathing and having to be revived, I'd think if you did that you'd never ride again. I asked the original question for real life situations, you drop into a area and it breaks and the only way out 2 other avys happen and your without a airbag. Being in the truck doesn't help at the time. I've been thinking about the scenario a lot.

If you ride an area with THAT much avy danger, it is going to get you, probably sooner than later. That strikes me as a pretty cavalier attitude towards back country avalanches.

If somebody in my group is buried and has to be revived, I am going back to the truck, you bet your sweet a$$. No amount of riding is worth dying or taking risks as big as the ones it sounds like you take.

Good Luck

1500psi

Lifetime Membership
Feb 11, 2008
If you ride an area with THAT much avy danger, it is going to get you, probably sooner than later. That strikes me as a pretty cavalier attitude towards back country avalanches.

If somebody in my group is buried and has to be revived, I am going back to the truck, you bet your sweet a$$. No amount of riding is worth dying or taking risks as big as the ones it sounds like you take.

That's not how I'd state it but i can think of many scenarios on why to carry a extra bottle and I was just wondering if anyone thinks about it or does.

R
Feb 29, 2016
I bought a spare when I bought the pack over ten years ago. I have always maintained a second full canister and handle. I never carried the spare on me but I think there was usually a spare in the truck somebody was carrying that fit all of our packs.

I worry so little about it anymore that I don't wear the pack at all, much less carry an extra canister.

I can see how your choice of terrain could make the pack and spare a good idea. Personally, I have fun without going those types of places anymore.

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
If you have a BCA bottle; buy a 80cf scuba tank and yoke,then you can refill in the trailer or not; has served me this season when an acci-deploy; $7 to fill,that way your not looking for a refill station on an extended trip:) just my 2 pennies

This is what we do. Val is a scuba instructor so we bring a high pressure 80 with us-- typically get 4 fills out of one.

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
Great post and i often tell those who buy an abs to purchase a spare canister and handle, one between the group is fine as accidental deploys are rare but can happen, also the reason many guys have been buried with any packs in the last few years, 25% has several scenarios but one is guys think they will wait and decide if it is big or not and by that time it can be to late, if you feel anything pull the bag, and yes if you are getting caught then you are making mistakes and it really means you should not be out on that day, because you can't seem to manage the dangers. Having a spare in the truck means with the abs you can reload the bag in about 3-4 minutes. Also a bca or snow pulse tank should take about 25 minutes to do properly and many stores now are not doing them right on the spot as they need to service customers in the store, I had 3 buddies arrive to have their bca canisters filled before coming to Carl Kusters place and they would not fill them right there so they all bought extra ones. I don't blame the store as if the shop is busy it is pretty hard to send someone off to the back to fill three canisters for a total of 45.00 dollars and not help customers where they will make more money, so many of them do the filling after hours for the next day. I encourage every group to have a spare filled among them, if your way out there then you can reload your any pack pretty easy and if you live a long way from a store it means you can reload and go fill it or exchange it on your next trip to the dealer...

CB.8

Skidoo hill crew
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colfax, WA
Our group has a half dozen BCA bags. I was the first to get one in 2010 after 2 locals were killed in McCall. At the time BCA was offering a deal if you bought a spare bottle, so I did. There are guys I ride with that have had an accidental deployment and rode the rest of the trip without their bags.
I carry a spare in the truck for these occasions and will give it to anyone that needs it in my group or not. I also bought the adapter to fill at the fire station. I fill anyone's tank that wants to test their pack or has had an accidental deployment at no cost. I buy the o-ring kits. This is my small part to try to make sure everyone makes it home after every ride. Alive and well.

1500psi

Lifetime Membership
Feb 11, 2008
Let me put it in more perspective on why since I don't think many people understand

Here's a real life example. You take a trip to Revy and the first 3 days are great avy danger at a low, the last day you ride you forget to check the avy forecast and it just so happen to drastically change that night but you forget to check the Avy report because it's been fine everyday... Avy danger is so bad the very first thing you drop into breaks in a huge way and you pull your avy vest cord and bam all is good but the only way out is out the other side which also faces the same south direction so it's going to break also. The canister in the truck idea isn't going to help you out much except maybe a accidental discharge in another situation. Just stating some real life facts, blast away

Premium Features