• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What sled should I buy?

T

Theron

Dec 10, 2007
Anchorage
profile.myspace.com
I have had 03 and 07 summit revs and I am look at a new sled again. I am thinking I will probably get the 09 800xp 146 but I am also considering the Dragon 800 or the Assault not sure of the difference. I havn't ruled out the M8 either. I am not a brand specific guy. I used to ride a polaris before the Rev but once I rode the rev I was sold. Im an experienced rider that likes the deep and moderately steep. I am looking for unbiased feedback please. Especially people who have riden both. Even better if you have ridden both but own niether.

A

AKkatz

Jan 9, 2008
ANCH. AK
Well the good news is that all the sleds you mentioned will rock! I ride 07 m8 and m1000, but ride with an assortment. I think the Dragon is a fun sled but I don't think much of the fit and finish that Polaris is producing right now. If they can't get the hood to fit on the side panels what else haven't they done well? Also I think that Pol 800 gets too much credit. It looks good on paper, but the one I rode was smooth but not much for the giggle factor (i.e. Torque). BUT it was bone stock. I will say that the Dragon rides very nicely, but so does the Cat. I can say the Cat 800 with Y-pipe and can rocks, and the 09 is better still. I don't think the chassis can be beat for all round rallin'. The Xp probably offers the most power to weight, but its' such a weird chassis. But so what, right, you'll get used to it. The cat and Polaris chassis' are basically the same geometry, and the XP and REVs are rider forward. I think all of the above come with pretty good shocks, the Assault, or Cats HCR should have better shocks but both will have very hard composite tracks. Also consider the dealers that you'll deal with. So clearly a bit biased but those are my observations.

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
I love your elite! I have seen you (or it) at articman. I am a polaris guy but must say it is hard to pick a bad one these days. It comes down to dealer alot, and what YOU feel most comfortable on. I would try to get a ride on on each of the sleds before cropping $10,000 these days. I don't think you are after an Assualt. Dragon yes, but the Assualt is more of a race sled with a long track. Just what the doc ordered for alot of people, but not for everyone.For me *** well, it boils down to the fact I have a toolbox full of polaris specialty tools,manuals,knolwedge, ect that I would have to start over from scratch again if I were to "jump ship". Not to say I wouldn't ever jump, it's just something that I think about. I also have sleds for my wife and kid and it is easier to stock spare parts around here and on the hill when they are all the same flavor. I broke a motor mount up at lost lake a few years back on a glory powder day. It took me 6 belts to get out of there that day to get it to where we could tow it out. I was thankful that my wife and buddies all rode the same flavor sleds that day or that sled would have been there for a while. Good luck with your chioce. Hard to pick a bad one these days.

Nov 26, 2007
Anchorage, AK
I was in the same boat a week ago, bought an 09 M8 SP 162. seriously considered the D8 163 price was within $500 either way. Basically came down to who I trust and the dealership. I bought from a place where I know the guys and know I will always be taken care of. I bought their last SP 162 and have only broken in a belt so that really doesn't even count as a ride but I really like the chassis. With that said you will be happy with whatever you decide to buy/ride I think were in a great place where all 3 are great sleds, just personal preference.

T

Theron

Dec 10, 2007
Anchorage
profile.myspace.com
I am still leaning toward the xp mainly due to the weight. I am 230lbs, and since I am not going on a diet why not get a sled that already has. I am just not looking forward to dealing with clutch issues as I did with my 07 summit. Finaly got the DJ kit and am happy so far but dont have the miles on it I would like to see if it fall off with time like the stock setup did after every visit to the dealer. Speaking of dealers, I bought my 03 summit from AMDS an got fed up with them so went to CC for my 07. Have been happy with CC but its a pain when the clutch doesnt work and I have to make the trip out to ER every week. Like I said before I am not brand loyal but I still think the xp is the dominant mountain sled. Im not trying to provoke an argument but the numbers are hard to argue with. Am I just biased because I loved my revs? Either way Im keeping my 07 summit just in case.

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
who needs to side hill when you can go strait up the hill. :D

T
If you have troubles sidehilling on a certain brand sled, buy a short track and save yourself the hassle.:beer; I'm a polaris guy, but I was impressed with 08' 800xp. Granted, he had this sleds clutching spot on and that sled could really climb well. It does feel real awkward, but it takes time to adapt. I liked the Cats as well, but they didn't ride as nice as my D7. The M1000 with the slp single pipe was awesome. That's my $.03

A

AKboondocker

Feb 4, 2006
Wasilla, Alaska
a 146 are 154 everest was 7800 brand new last I checked.

You must be thinking the summit 600 carb model, and even then good luck getting one up here in AK for that price off the showroom floor. The 09 Summit 800s are low to mid tens and the 154's are about $300 more. The 600 e-tecs are about $500 less than the 800's on average.

A
Jan 28, 2008
dankorage
just some cents comin in.. i ride polaris so of coarse that what i recommend.. i had an 08 7 rmk last year and got my assault in about a week ago.. rmk is a great ride, not the biggest fan of the revs and the feel of em but you obviously like em.. power wise id say polaris has it and is a great ride but most new ones compete, idjust put em ina hat a draw one

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
You must be thinking the summit 600 carb model, and even then good luck getting one up here in AK for that price off the showroom floor. The 09 Summit 800s are low to mid tens and the 154's are about $300 more. The 600 e-tecs are about $500 less than the 800's on average.

Im talking about a 08 xp 800 summit left overs, you just have to call around. I had friends last year buying them new for 8500. And yes it was Alaska.

Last edited:
C
Nov 26, 2007
dankorage
Ridden em all but the assault and new M8.. Get the XP, clutch it, maybe try to get a different track on it for sure as the powder max just doesnt seem to work as good as it used to. Non of the sleds have to torque of the XP, and thats not on paper, thats in the seat of the pants. Race one and see. If your comfortable on your REV youll like XP if your lookin for something new. I personally like the REV more because it is tougher from what iv witnessed. At this same time though, im buying a 153 09 M8... So pick your poison.

A

AkSummit

Nov 28, 2007
ALASKA
I dont know about the XP but I know my dragon is wider than my Rev. I enjoy riding the Rev more.

I know I feel more comfortable on it.

I would get the assualt before the dragon though. It just depends on what your doing. If you want to sit on top of every mountain you see then buy the "easy button"= the dragon.

Last edited:
A

AKboondocker

Feb 4, 2006
Wasilla, Alaska
Im talking about a 08 xp 800 summit left overs, you just have to call around. I had friends last year buying them new for 8500. And yes it was Alaska.

He mentioned buying an 09. I guess by the way you wrote your response I thoguht you were talking 09's. Makes a bit more sense now but I still doubt the 7800 new for the 08 summits. Post up the dealer thats selling them in AK for 7800 OTD to the average customer. Your friends got seriously hooked up. 8500 in Fairbanks if its OTD is a smoking deal for a new 08. The 08's like you said also come with updated driveshaft, 377 belt and updated handwarmers. It may be worth looking into if he is dead set on the Summits.

Last edited:
Call Alaska Snow Safaris, Chris has the new XP, M and Dragons. Rent one each weekend and take guess out of it!!!!!:light:

Thanks for the plug! We do have 15 Skidoo's to choose from with most being XP's and we should be getting our RMK's this month, that is the good news and here is the bad....

We had a misunderstanding with Arctic Cat this year and even though our dealer ordered our 10 Arctic Cats, we found out that we need to become a "rental dealer" and that took a couple months this fall. Now we have our dealer number, we can only order from the factory and they only have 1000's left and I don't have a huge market for those. As of this week, we are going to sit out on cat, get more XP's and RMK's and just plan on ordering some this spring for 2010.

Theron: To answer your orginal question, We have had all of the sleds you speak of and we would be glad to rent you one if you would like to check it out before you buy. Otherwise, I would go with the one you are leaning towards, the best rebates after the new year, and the best service department. All the sleds are in at least a second year on the chassis and most of the bugs have been worked out. We have had great luck with our 09 XP's with over 700 miles on some. PM me if you have any specific questions.

Chris

Premium Features