• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Should I Buy Either Sled??

C
Oct 28, 2023
Washington
Hey guys, we got our first snow here a few days ago, and since dirt biking season is about over, I'm kinda wanting a snowmobile again. I like to ride my quad in the winter, but I'm thinking I might have more fun on a snowmobile. I was given a Skidoo Touring 380 last year that needed rebuilt, but I ended up selling it for $300. I set the money aside for something fun, and am being tempted by a snowmobile. My dilemma is that I've never ridden one before, and don't want to spend alot of money on one, in case I end up not liking it. I tried down hill skiing and snowboarding (actually got pretty good on skiis) but just never enjoyed it, so I would like to have a winter hobby...
Anyway, I'm looking at a 97 Skidoo Sumit 670 for $500 that supposedly runs great, and a 2001 Polaris RMK 700 for $1,000 that also runs great, but doesn't have reverse. Did it come with reverse, or did they just not have that as an option?
I probably won't be hauling either anywhere to ride, as we live next to a few sections (640 acres a peice) of state land.
Are either of those good options you think?
Thanks in advance!
Courage Screenshot_20231028-214015_Facebook~2.jpgScreenshot_20231028-214033_Facebook~2.jpg

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
i havent had either one but I believe the plaris 700's were pretty good engines. From the pictures it looks like the polaris has been taken better care of, probably better suspension on the polaris too.

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
Out of those two I'd go with the rmk. Those 700s were pretty good.
The 670 was a great motor as well, but that f chassis isnt going to handle as well.
I've seen some s chassis 670 summits for around a grand. That would be more comparable to that rmk

C
Oct 28, 2023
Washington
Thanks so much for responding!
The 670 sold, but I'm not set on buying one of those 2... all of you said I should go with the RMK anyway. Is it supposed to have reverse? Is that a good price for it?

BigAir

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Montana
Hey guys, we got our first snow here a few days ago, and since dirt biking season is about over, I'm kinda wanting a snowmobile again. I like to ride my quad in the winter, but I'm thinking I might have more fun on a snowmobile. I was given a Skidoo Touring 380 last year that needed rebuilt, but I ended up selling it for $300. I set the money aside for something fun, and am being tempted by a snowmobile. My dilemma is that I've never ridden one before, and don't want to spend alot of money on one, in case I end up not liking it. I tried down hill skiing and snowboarding (actually got pretty good on skiis) but just never enjoyed it, so I would like to have a winter hobby...
Anyway, I'm looking at a 97 Skidoo Sumit 670 for $500 that supposedly runs great, and a 2001 Polaris RMK 700 for $1,000 that also runs great, but doesn't have reverse. Did it come with reverse, or did they just not have that as an option?
I probably won't be hauling either anywhere to ride, as we live next to a few sections (640 acres a peice) of state land.
Are either of those good options you think?
Thanks in advance!
Courage View attachment 410589View attachment 410590
First, that isn't a 1997 Summit, it is a 1996. I owned a 1997 and they were blue and in the S-chassis, not the earlier F-chassis that ended in 1996. I also owned a couple 2001 RMKs, but both were 800s. Don't fret that the Summit sold, you definitely would be better off with the RMK. If it was an 800 you would have to worry about the crank breaking, but the 700s were solid. None of the mountain sleds in those years came with reverse. It was the mid-2000s before all 3 manufacturers started including reverse.

That RMK wouldn't be a bad first sled. Not as easy to ride as something newer, but plenty capable. How many miles on it?

I.P.Yellow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
It’s a ‘95 670 Summit. I had one just like it. In ‘96 they switched to the S chassis. It was green as well. I had one of those too.
I’d go with the RMK over the F chassis Summit for sure.

C
Oct 28, 2023
Washington
First, that isn't a 1997 Summit, it is a 1996. I owned a 1997 and they were blue and in the S-chassis, not the earlier F-chassis that ended in 1996. I also owned a couple 2001 RMKs, but both were 800s. Don't fret that the Summit sold, you definitely would be better off with the RMK. If it was an 800 you would have to worry about the crank breaking, but the 700s were solid. None of the mountain sleds in those years came with reverse. It was the mid-2000s before all 3 manufacturers started including reverse.

That RMK wouldn't be a bad first sled. Not as easy to ride as something newer, but plenty capable. How many miles on it?
It sold right after I started this thread, otherwise I would have bought it.
Thanks for you help though guys!
How many miles are considered high on a sled?
Thanks!

Premium Features