• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What ever happened to the full carbon fibre sled?

spoon

Wrenching to ride is half the fun
Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
Which one? There have been many built over the last 15 or so years. C3 used to build them in Sicamous, made Cat and Ski Doo chassis. Still a few kicking around. Expensive to do and resale value was not the greatest. There was a Proclimb turbo one built by TSS for sale in BC last year. Doc Zoom had one built around 2011 using the Doo 1200 4 stroke with an insane turbo kit.

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
A guy two houses down has the one off mountain mod mania I believe. Looks just like it. The xp 2 stroke one.
Someone butchered the tunnel to be a cool kid.
Reminds me I need to go see if he wants to sell it. It's been outside all summer.

My buddy Andy has a full carbon cat. Suzuki 800. We've really had to do a lot of repairs. That chassis design needs more strength in the suspension mounts

He got a hold of the builders through a deep rabbit hole and I guess there was one more cat chassis sitting they wanted full price for.

Screenshot_20201109-112644.png 10802.jpeg

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
You don’t need carbon fibre to make a sled expensive anymore. Can spend over $30k ordering one from the dealer these days… well, in Canada anyways. Not sure about south of here.
Yes, sleds are expensive, but if you a want light weight sled, CF and Ti are the only alternatives. Building a light weight 9R and there's a Buch of Ti and CF going it.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Yes, sleds are expensive, but if you a want light weight sled, CF and Ti are the only alternatives. Building a light weight 9R and there's a Buch of Ti and CF going it.
Show off this labor of love! Where you find the most weight reduction? Where does it need extra strength?

Cinno

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Stillwater,Mn
What say you?
I owned a Team Fast blade 700cc trail sled back in the day, as one of my buddies helped design and build it for the Karpik brothers out of Eveleth, MN. Best handling sled i ever rode, but I spent more time fixing it than riding it. The durability of the light weight components weren't beefy enough. Same issue with a CMX (Crazy Mountain Extreme) sled (800x154) from the 90's. I now prioritize riding time more than fixing time.

Cinno

Premium Features