• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Water to Air intercooler on m1000?

sledfvr

Lifetime Membership
I would like to put a water to air on my m1000, but I'm wondering if these sleds have enough power to run the water pump? The guy I bought the sled from had a battery to run the afr gauge. Would it be hard on the stator if I do run one? I have a water/air on my apex and it works great. Any input would be great.

If you have a updated CCU you should be good on voltage. What is your fuel pump and oil pump being ran off of? With the updated CCU the only thing I ran off of the reverse beeper is the oil pump. The fuel pump and afr gauge have their own circuit. I know I've seen a few water to air kits that have very low voltage draw. It your building your own. I would check out frozenboost.com they have alot of good stuff.

I used frozenboost on my apex, it is really good stuff for a great price. I'm not sure if the ccu is updated or not. Thanks for the info

GetAttachment.aspx

fuel pump is wired to accessory, the oil pump is wired to the old fuel pump line.

Last edited:
Does anything charge the battery being used for the afr gauge. I think I would power a charging wire off that accessory circuit. And use the battery for the afr,fuel pump and the to be water pump.

It doesn't have a battery in it anymore. It was used to power the afr gauge and then he pulled them out once tuned in and it has egt's now. Is my ccu updated?

ccu.jpg

Last edited:
I can't remember what wire i tied into for the afr and the fuel pump. Hopefully hillclimbpro will tell us here in a minute. I know the oil pump for the turbo was ran off the reverse beeper wires.

I would like to put a water to air on my m1000, but I'm wondering if these sleds have enough power to run the water pump? The guy I bought the sled from had a battery to run the afr gauge. Would it be hard on the stator if I do run one? I have a water/air on my apex and it works great. Any input would be great.

I pm'ed my # to you, give me a call if you want.

I guess I have to ask. Why?

Why do you want to run a water/air exchanger or a intercooler on a turbo M1000?

In the fourstroke world it is a must. But on my TM1000 I don't feel a cooler or intercooler would make a hill of beans of difference in performance (other than a negative due to lag caused by the increased volume of the charge chamber). This is at 11lbs of boost. I suppose if you plan to run 18lbs, and pull 2500' long chutes the charge temps will play a larger roll. But at 11lbs I haven't found a hill long enough to have the charge temps cause a problem.

IMO

Thunder

In the fourstroke world it is a must. But on my TM1000 I don't feel a cooler or intercooler would make a hill of beans of difference in performance (other than a negative due to lag caused by the increased volume of the charge chamber). This is at 11lbs of boost. I suppose if you plan to run 18lbs, and pull 2500' long chutes the charge temps will play a larger roll. But at 11lbs I haven't found a hill long enough to have the charge temps cause a problem.

IMO

Thunder

More horsepower at lower boost on lower octane fuel.
I wanna try one on one of my M1000's...

More horsepower at lower boost on lower octane fuel.
I wanna try one on one of my M1000's...

The idea behind water to air is simple. Consistency, You can keep the water one temp with a properly sized and built system. If you can keep the cooled charge temps within a small operating range no matter the conditions it is going to always run the same. With air to air you have a lot of factors that stack up against you. Ground speed and heat soak being the major two. At one point and time you may be pulling a big hill and moving twice as much air through the intercooler as you would if you in 5 foot of fresh powder just creeping along.

Also it is no secret that water to air with an ice box. Much like a snowmobile with a dedicated loop for the intercooler can produce super high efficiencies for the intercooler sometimes as high as 95%.

The only downfall of a water to air intercooler is added weight and voltage needed to run the pump. If someone was creative they could run a mechanical pump off the oil pump side of the water pump shaft very easily.

IMO

Thunder

More power at less boost, colder intake temps mean less chance of detonation. Also, a more consistent intake temp for less messing with tuning.

Premium Features

Back