• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Vents & silencer question for a 600 RMK

S
Sep 24, 2009
MN
Newbie question here. After being away from riding for an entire decade I am jumping back into it with a 2006 RMK 600 HO. And without putting a single mile on it I have started to do the customizations to make it my own. Got the HRP spindles and SLP Air Horn. Next up, vents.

Question: Who makes the better dash vent kit to work in conjunction with the SLP Air Horn; Fire n Ice or Mo-Flow? Of a manufacturere I am not yet aware of perhaps?

And while I have your attention, is it worth putting an SLP silencer on while keeping the stock pipe? Any noticeable power gain or is it mostly a better sound?

Most of my riding will be on trails.

Thanks for your help. This site was extremely helpful in my decision to buy the 600 even though my heart was set on the 900 Fusion. At this stage in my life the less maintenance the better. :)

GoHiSK1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2007
Melfort Saskatchewan
I think you picked the correct sled. The 600 will give you more trouble free miles. Hard to beat the Torque of the long stroke 900 though !!!!
The SLP muffled is an OK choice . If you are looking for a little more noise [I am getting more mature now and like the quiet style systems] you will have to find a older SLP muffler item as the last couple of years SLP as adopted a Stealth [stock sounding] on the 600 Polaris . I have the 2009 SLP muffler on my 2007 Switchback and there is NO exhaust rumble at all, None. Zero.
I also have a 3 or 4 year old muffler on a 600 Fusion and it sounds like sleds most people are used to hearing. The older style muffler is about half the length [ and weight ] of the new systems so I guess that is were stock sound comes from.
Vents a always a good thing. I put the SLP dash vents that fit in the stock location as well as vented side panels and SLP shock tower vents on my son`s 600 RMK. [ actually my boy`s did the installation ]
Happy sledding this winter, I am looking out my window to another 1" or 2" of more snow on top of 3-4" for the last 5 days. Took the CFI Switchback for a 3.8 mile loop yesterday on our frozen back roads. [ Frozen dirt under the snow not gravel ]
I am Grain Farmer and it is Thanks Giving weekend here in Canada. We don`t often get snow this early and all the farmers across Canada and the Northern USA need more warm dry days to finish the 2009 harvest.

Chow For Now.

Jigger

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
I use an SLP Silencer. As the other poster mentioned they are quiter than the older SLP silcners. Mine does add a better meaner tone than stock.

For the Dash vents I run the SLP prefilters with 2 Flowrites on each side like you see in the picture below. These can be purchased here: http://www.gobigparts.com/Filters-Pre-Filters-Hot-Air-Elimination-Kits/

slp_IQpsprefilter.gif

P
Dec 4, 2007
Redmond, Wa
The only reason i would go with a aftermarket can is for weight savings. If you want noise get a hps. As far as vents there are so many to choose from i like xxx mod rods with a little slp in there.

For vents I prefer the Fire N Ice, but it is up to you. Any vent is better than none. I feel the Fire N Ice are made to withstand a little more beating (I typically do a lot of boondocking), and prefer the materials they use (especially in the shock tower vent).

For silencers, if you are looking for a loud machine, the HPS is prob the best sounding loud silencer out there (I runn one on my 700). SLP will be quiet, but they do "break in" and get a little louder after you put some miles on them, and get a nice tone to them. All your going to get with any silencer is mostly weight savings. They all claim to make extra HP's, but I personally don't think they do (its all in how you read the dyno sheet).

Just my 2 cents.

B
Nov 27, 2007
Kfalls, Or
Along with vents, you may want to consider a radiator delete kit... the stock system overheats very easily at medium to low speeds, especially on groomed trails...

Premium Features