• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

**thunder mtn - grand mesa 09-10**

C
Nov 30, 2007
Grand Junction, CO
Ryan, Sorry you had to leave early.

It's all good Mark - wish we wouldn't have had that carnage. Mason's XP is in pretty rough shape, but at least he was able to ride it out and the insurance policy was current! When we got back to the trailhead, another guy rolled up on a Nytro with A-arms buckled. There's still a few of 'em up there - look out!

CANNONMAN

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Colorado/Wisconsin
www.thundermountainlodge.net
I did look at it today, rather deep, and he wanted me to bring the Snocat down there!!!!!!!!!! Let me think about that for a minute...NO! I still found it strange that 6 grown men and 1 woman couldn't get that out themselves. It shows you have the power 7 just yourself!!!!!!!!!!!! Experience is worth it's wait in gold sometimes. Thanks again for helping them out.

Cannonman - Did you see the hole where I pulled that guy out of the creek below the lodge Sunday? Brings a whole new meaning to the term "do NOT go in there" :eek::eek::eek:

S

SSWIM

Nov 19, 2001
Grand Junction, Colorado
These four pics in sequence pretty much sum up the riding on Sunday.
Shawn Honaker getting a facial!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:beer;:beer;:beer;
223.jpg

224.jpg

225.jpg

226.jpg

Mark, nice pictures!!!! Where were you guys? We broke out Indian Crossover. Went in behind Plexiglass. Not a single track anywhere. It was an EPIC weekend for sure.

Sam

C
Nov 30, 2007
Grand Junction, CO
Here it comes again!

Winter Storm Warning

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GRAND JUNCTION CO
355 PM MST TUE JAN 26 2010

...THE NEXT STORM TO AFFECT EASTERN UTAH AND WESTERN COLORADO
WEDNESDAY AND THURSDAY...

.A PACIFIC STORM APPROACHING THE WEST COAST WILL MOVE INTO THE
GREAT BASIN WEDNESDAY AND WEDNESDAY NIGHT. SNOW WILL SPREAD ACROSS
THE AREA ON WEDNESDAY. THE HEAVIEST SNOWFALL IS EXPECTED WEDNESDAY
NIGHT INTO THURSDAY AS THE SYSTEM SLOWS...BEFORE FINALLY PUSHING
TO THE EAST EARLY THURSDAY NIGHT.

COZ009-012-017>019-UTZ028-270700-
/O.NEW.KGJT.WS.W.0005.100127T1300Z-100129T0700Z/
GRAND AND BATTLEMENT MESAS-WEST ELK AND SAWATCH MOUNTAINS-
UNCOMPAHGRE PLATEAU AND DALLAS DIVIDE-
NORTHWEST SAN JUAN MOUNTAINS-SOUTHWEST SAN JUAN MOUNTAINS-
LA SAL AND ABAJO MOUNTAINS-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...SKYWAY...CRESTED BUTTE...TAYLOR PARK...
MARBLE...RIDGWAY...GLADE PARK...OURAY...TELLURIDE...LAKE CITY...
SILVERTON...RICO...HESPERUS...MONTICELLO AND VICINITY
355 PM MST TUE JAN 26 2010

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 6 AM WEDNESDAY TO MIDNIGHT
MST THURSDAY NIGHT...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN GRAND JUNCTION HAS ISSUED A
WINTER STORM WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 6 AM
WEDNESDAY TO MIDNIGHT MST THURSDAY NIGHT.

* TIMING...SNOW WILL SPREAD FROM WEST TO EAST ACROSS THE MOUNTAINS
DURING THE DAY WEDNESDAY...WITH PERIODS OF SNOW CONTINUING
WEDNESDAY NIGHT AND THURSDAY.

* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS...TOTAL ACCUMULATIONS OF 8 TO 16 INCHES ARE
EXPECTED...WITH LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS. SNOW WILL BE FAIRLY LIGHT
INITIALLY...WITH THE GREATEST ACCUMULATIONS EXPECTED TO OCCUR
WEDNESDAY NIGHT AND THURSDAY MORNING.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER STORM WARNING MEANS SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW ARE
EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. STRONG WINDS AND BLOWING SNOW ARE ALSO
POSSIBLE. THIS STORM WILL MAKE TRAVEL VERY HAZARDOUS OR
IMPOSSIBLE.

S

SSWIM

Nov 19, 2001
Grand Junction, Colorado
Sam - how's that massive pile of rocks looking (indian crossover/the ridge)?? Enough to have (safe) fun up there yet?

You are correct in "pile of rocks". LOL. If people saw what it looked like in the summer I do not think they would venture anywhere near it. It actually has really good coverage now. Still need to be careful (that goes for anytime up on the ridge, does not matter if we get 900" of snow, blows it off), but it is very rideable now. The snow has blown in the bottom on the north side and made for really good snow. VERY DEEP. This new front coming in should really do the trick now.

Sam

C
Nov 30, 2007
Grand Junction, CO
If people saw what it looked like in the summer I do not think they would venture anywhere near it.
Sam

That's for sure. Having hiked over the Ridge and climbed Leon Peak in the summer, unless you've been there, you have no idea! Glad to hear it's looking good! Probably get back there this weekend - several of my favorite features on the mountain are back there........including the Plexi-hip!

C
Dec 29, 2007
PG, Utah
I'm liking all the pics and videos coming out of grand mesa in the last week. Seems like that storm last weekend hit it pretty hard. Anything new from yesterday and today's system? I'm sick of breaking A-arms and nuns at the flat tops and red & white, but i've never been to the mesa? I see lots of rolling hills with gladed out pine trees in the pics and videos. Can you find any long steeps to climb or drift fields like at the snowies? Planning on getting out there as soon as i get my sled in running order.

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
I'm liking all the pics and videos coming out of grand mesa in the last week. Seems like that storm last weekend hit it pretty hard. Anything new from yesterday and today's system? I'm sick of breaking A-arms and nuns at the flat tops and red & white, but i've never been to the mesa? I see lots of rolling hills with gladed out pine trees in the pics and videos. Can you find any long steeps to climb or drift fields like at the snowies? Planning on getting out there as soon as i get my sled in running order.

There are plenty of steep climbs, but when you get almost 5 feet of snow you better bring a turbo to even consider it.
:face-icon-small-hap

BOHICA

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Grand Junction, Colorado
Winterfreak is Back

Another great day today. Me, Powderpatrol, and Winterfreak. Hooked up with GJ-RN and Frank later in the day. The powder from last week has set up making for a great base with about a foot of fresh. Boondocking was of the hook.
Winterfreak
012910006.jpg

Winterfreak
012910007.jpg

Winterfreak
012910013.jpg

Bohica
012910034.jpg

Bohica
012910086.jpg

W
Great pics. Once the Aleve comforts the body I will find the pics of carnage and stuck report , Bochica it seems I can only find one of you stuck, and ahhhmmm none of me, yet lots of Powederpatrol. I have to say yesterday was one of the best days I have had in a long time. Small group, great snow, great riders (during some parts of the day I could be called a liar) and to finish the day off with a great meal and relaxing time at the Thunder mountain lodge.

Now if only all my rides could be that perfect. Thanks BOHICA for being our fearless leader, because if it wasnt for you making me tell myself I can't be a Nancy today and made me drop off some of this vertical faces I'm sure I would have found alternative routes to the bottom and not have the memories to look back upon.

Last edited:
W
Grand Mesa 1-30-2010 Stuck and Carnage Report

Ok here is Winterfreaks Snow Paparazzi Stuck and Carnage Report for 1-30-2010 on the Grand Mesa. Beware, you never know who's watching your "cool" tricks! :face-icon-small-sho

DSCN1542.JPG

BOHICA

Stucks = 1 (Must say his Rooster Built Clutching is Kick-A$$)

DSCN1545.JPG

Winterfreak

Stucks = 3 (But no recorded proof)

Powderpatrol

Stucks = Lost Count
Track Only Shots = Oh how about 4 and I'll be nice
Tree Removal = 1 (Glad you had your saw and by the way where were you going anyway?)
Leading Others To Trouble = 1 (After Pics Below)

DSCN1543.JPG

DSCN1546.JPG

DSCN1551.JPG

Best trick of the day went to:

GJ-RN

For his Negative Nancy attitude and tree hugging love.

DSCN1554.JPG

DSCN1555.JPG

Here is another shot of GJ-RN's sled taking a nap.

DSCN1557.JPG

All that resulted was sratched bumper, popped out hood vents, and a little disorganization of the headlight councel... now stop saying your riding season is over..... jeeeeez.

Here are a few other shots from the day! Enjoy.

DSCN1560.JPG

DSCN1561.JPG

DSCN1553.JPG

DSCN1550.JPG

DSCN1541.JPG

Had a great time and enjoyed the adventure. I had forgotten all the superb riding only 4 miles from the Thunder Mountain Lodge.

Until next time.. Winterfreaks out.

Oh Powderpatrol upload some of that sweet HD video... dont forget some of me to, I need my 10 seconds of fame.

:face-icon-small-hap

Reactions: Farmer
Premium Features