• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Thoughts coming from polaris?

F
Oct 2, 2011
sask
Turbo? Need the post as well?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

I would think the theory and physics behind the post forward mod would apply regardless of what’s bolted on after the motor. If I remember correctly you didn’t have to do any airbox mods with the turbo to do the post forward but with the NA motors you did cause of airbox shape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT
I would think the theory and physics behind the post forward mod would apply regardless of what’s bolted on after the motor. If I remember correctly you didn’t have to do any airbox mods with the turbo to do the post forward but with the NA motors you did cause of airbox shape.

On the 22’s turbo model needed new steering post, and heating the air box to do a remolding job.

P
Feb 4, 2008
Cle Elum, WA
$500 for a post forward kit including the steering post makes me want to ride with out it for a while. What are you guys running for height on a riser?
I’m coming from a Polaris but have taken a break for a while from sledding so I was going to ride it and get a feel for it before changing stuff.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
I use an adjustable riser. The low riser crap doesn't work for me at 6 feet tall without boots on.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
I’m 6ft before boots and I am really liking the stock expert bar set up this year.
Is the bar height at your belt/ waist height when standing on the sled?

Mine was several inches below that.

Some people are longer in legs vs torso for the same height.

F
Oct 2, 2011
sask
Is the bar height at your belt: waist height when standing on the sled?

Hmmm now that you mention it not sure. Will have to check after work. I know it felt very natural to me. I rode a buddies 2023 X Turbo non expert with the higher riser and it felt “off”

F
Oct 2, 2011
sask
Is the bar height at your belt/ waist height when standing on the sled?

My bars are at my hips. Perhaps I’m longer torso shorter legs than you. But I find the expert bars/riser height comfy and feels pretty natural.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
I doubt I'll be switching to Doo, but I will say that SHOT seems like something I would pay good money for. I can live with pulling the handle every time, and the idea of paying more money and carrying extra weight doesn't appeal to me, so I don't see e-start on any sled of mine until I can't stand pulling the rope any more (hopefully that'll be a while). I think I'd have to be in pretty rough shape to not want to pull the handle ever, so long as the sled is easier to start in the cold than my Pro at least. With just a few extra pounds, SHOT is worth the price, just not something I'd switch brands for at this point.

Poo used to be the better value, but it's hard to find one for less than the equivalent Doo anymore. A friend just picked up a '22 Doo 850; he might have bought a Polaris at the same price, but everything was more. He mostly upgraded for the features and chassis improvements, not power, and I'll probably be the same boat when I upgrade. I think if anything, the market for a value-oriented sled is going to grow, but right now the most basic models kind of suck, and you either accept that, or you fork over $2-3k to get what you want (at a cost to them of $500 or so)

Anyway, the handling of Doo/Lynx vs. Poo seems to be converging. Doo is talking about a "planted" feel with the G5 expert (not necessarily in those words), while the Khaos is a big step the other way. I'll definitely ride all three, and I'm pretty sure one priority will be something more playful than my Pro. That said, if someone can crack the code and build a great sled for closer to $10k - one that has enough oomph to not be a straggler and comes with good enough components that I won't end up systematically replacing them - I might be there regardless of the name or engine or whatnot. At the end of the day, it seems like they're all converging on the same point: it's turning into Coke vs. Pepsi. With that, plus Poo stepping in it with recalls recently and mostly pushing the top end of the market, I'm not sure brand loyalty is enough to keep me with them. So I'm watching Doo, and really interested to see what Cat comes up with. And hoping we can somehow sidestep the fallout from Brandonomics, but that's another topic...

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
the cost to the manufacturers has be approaching 10k if not more.

H

hkollie

Apr 21, 2013
You missed my point. I was using a belt drive analogy. Shot is great. To say it's better is a stretch. I've had everything. It's lighter. Can't say it's better when you have to pull the rope.
Your opinion, so you can't be wrong. Most will dismiss your opinion because many factors:
- Generally only pull the rope 1 time per day
- the pull is so easy
- the shot is awesome and very reliable
- the shot weighs pounds less and weight matters
- analogies feel great to create and are terrible for persuasion
- your only argument is the one pull = battery better....see above pull is easy

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Your opinion, so you can't be wrong. Most will dismiss your opinion because many factors:
- Generally only pull the rope 1 time per day
- the pull is so easy
- the shot is awesome and very reliable
- the shot weighs pounds less and weight matters
- analogies feel great to create and are terrible for persuasion
- your only argument is the one pull = battery better....see above pull is easy
I'm not disagreeing. Was just arguing for the sake of arguing.
If you get it to start your sled, you can't say it's better if you have to pull the rope. You got it so you didn't have to. I don't care how easy. It's an alternative.
If you are worried about weight you wouldn't have either because they both add weight, especially since it's sooo easy.
It has nothing to do with an analogy or feel. You don't agree, which is fine. Say it like it is.
I also never said a battery is better. You don't have to pull the rope. It's an alternative. Pick what you want.
If i had to choose I'd take shot. It's not better. It's lighter and more or less does the same thing.
Also , it’s not the weight difference holding people back. It's skill level. Let's be honest

Last edited:
F
Oct 2, 2011
sask
Care less about sitting in the parking lot pulling the pull rope on my sled to start it at the beginning of the day. Shot is worth its wait in gold when I finish getting unstuck and I am gassed and I can just stand on my sled and hit a button. Or those off camber situations also worth it. Won’t take the weight penalty of electric start but willing to take it for shot any day. I wouldn’t change brands for it but I am not leaving Ski-Doo anyways

C
Dec 8, 2020
I just picked up a G5 Summit X Turbo 165. Came off a Kahos 165 NA. I figured I'd give a quick review before the newness wears off.

Overall I'm extremely impressed. I was really nervous getting this sled since my past experience with doo's has been the older xp and xm chassis. They are boat anchors. I don't think we need to discuss power other than it is linear and plenty of. Turbo has a tad bit of Lag but i think even at it's worst it has the power of my NA just way more in a second. But that is not apples to apples.

Handling: Limit strap was out all day. Very ski high happy. I thought the kahos was loose but you ride this with very gentle foot input. Side hilling did excellent but not as easy as a poo. This skis on the G5 likes to grab ruts and try to rip the bars out of your hands. I got used to it but was something to watch for. I do have to ride opposite foot forward more often than the polaris.
Suspension: The G5 is amazing on the trail surprisingly. Suspension kills it on the bumps. Less tippy than the kahos too. I'm not really sure how they pulled that off being 34 wide. But i'll take it.

My only negative is it has a check engine light every now and then. From what I've read this is normal on break in. It seems to come on around 5k rpm on the trail. Also at 6'1" i would have liked the taller riser the standard summit has.

Premium Features