• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Thoughts coming from polaris?

TJ427

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2012
Bismarck, ND
Two in our group bought new 2023 Polaris RMKs. One has pull start, the other electric start. SHOT is so much better than either one.

The new 10.25 Doo gauge is so-so. It looks good, but the Polaris gauge is better. The Doo gauge has no buddy tracking and it's trail mapping is inferior.

The Doo tether is nicer and smoother to use. On the Polaris, the plastic section where the tether is located looks like it will pull off each time you pull the tether off. The plastic flexes quite a bit and the tether release is not as smooth as the Doo's.

The stock Doo rail scratchers are much nicer than the Polaris ones. The Doo ones will not break if you go into reverse with them down.

Doo's Linq system is better than Polaris's latest attempt at a tunnel system.

Polaris has much better stock storage than doo. Doo's stock storage is small and the shape makes it less useful.

Polaris has less rotating mass and lower rotating mass than the Doo. Polaris uses a belt drive and their secondary clutch is lower than the one on the Doo. All that means the Polaris is easier to maneuver.

Polaris's body panels are much easier to remove. Doo just can't seem to make its hood easy to take off.

Polaris has a vertical steering post, Doo's is more laid down. You can add post-forward on the Doo to get it more vertical, but even then the Polaris will be more upright. Some like a more upright post. I'm fine with the Doo's once you add the post-forward.

Motor - the Doo is smoother and more refined. Has more low and mid grunt. Polaris seems to have more upper end grunt.

The Doo has a decent removable snow flap, the Polaris has none. In harder or low snow conditions getting to the mountains the Doo will run cooler and the hyrax will be happier. There is an aftermarket snow-flap in the works for the Polaris.
Nice synopsis

Reactions: NHRoadking

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Two in our group bought new 2023 Polaris RMKs. One has pull start, the other electric start. SHOT is so much better than either one.

The new 10.25 Doo gauge is so-so. It looks good, but the Polaris gauge is better. The Doo gauge has no buddy tracking and it's trail mapping is inferior.

The Doo tether is nicer and smoother to use. On the Polaris, the plastic section where the tether is located looks like it will pull off each time you pull the tether off. The plastic flexes quite a bit and the tether release is not as smooth as the Doo's.

The stock Doo rail scratchers are much nicer than the Polaris ones. The Doo ones will not break if you go into reverse with them down.

Polaris has much better stock storage than doo. Doo's stock storage is small and the shape makes it less useful.

Polaris has less rotating mass and lower rotating mass than the Doo. Polaris uses a belt drive and their secondary clutch is lower than the one on the Doo. All that means the Polaris is easier to maneuver.

Polaris's body panels are much easier to remove. Doo just can't seem to make its hood easy to take off.

Polaris has a vertical steering post, Doo's is more laid down. You can add post-forward on the Doo to get it more vertical, but even then the Polaris will be more upright. Some like a more upright post. I'm fine with the Doo's once you add the post-forward.

Motor - the Doo is smoother and more refined. Has more low and mid grunt. Polaris seems to have more upper end grunt.

The Doo has a decent removable snow flap, the Polaris has none. In harder or low snow conditions getting to the mountains the Doo will run cooler and the hyrax will be happier. There is an aftermarket snow-flap in the works for the Polaris.
I don't necessarily think shot is better. It is awesome and is lighter but still have to pull the rope where estart you don't. You have a battery to deal with but shot hasn't been completely trouble free either. It is kind of like a belt drive. The concept is great and seems like a no brainer but is not the only way to skin a cat. I think there is a placebo effect there.

• Haha
Reactions: jdog1
M
Jan 26, 2013
I don't necessarily think shot is better. It is awesome and is lighter but still have to pull the rope where estart you don't. You have a battery to deal with but shot hasn't been completely trouble free either. It is kind of like a belt drive. The concept is great and seems like a no brainer but is not the only way to skin a cat. I think there is a placebo effect there.
Placebo?? Placebo has zero benefit other than psychological, shot on the other hand makes my motor run. Necessary... no, more beneficial than a paste tablet ABSOLUTELY! ?

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
i only pull the rope once a day. hell, even two hours later after the drive home when i'm backing the sled into the garage at day's end the SHOT still has charge. it's far better.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Placebo?? Placebo has zero benefit other than psychological, shot on the other hand makes my motor run. Necessary... no, more beneficial than a paste tablet ABSOLUTELY! ?
You missed my point. I was using a belt drive analogy. Shot is great. To say it's better is a stretch. I've had everything. It's lighter. Can't say it's better when you have to pull the rope.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012

I find SHOT a lot better than e-start. 20 pounds less weight better.

So far, no other manufacturer has come close to SHOT.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
but you only pull the rope once so how is that a valid point against?
I am not trashing on shot. Cool concept. That is how i got off on belt drives. Cool concept but it isn't some huge gain over a chaincase that everyone thinks it is. Ski doo doesn't think so or it would be on them. Ive tested them against each other.
I know why everyone thinks shot is better and thats because its lighter and you don't have to pull the rope. You do have to pull the rope once and possibly after lunch. There is some variable there on different sleds. E start you don't have to pull the rope once. You can knock 13 or so pounds out of a polaris with cv customs lightweight battery kit but then you might have to pull rope once if cold. Haven't yet but its been close. I still haven't heard beyond a doubt what e start weighs. I've heard anywhere from 20 to 25 pounds.
Also i am just bored so arguing for the sake of it. How can shot be better than e start if you have to pull the rope? If it is because of weight, shot isn't weight free. If people were so concerned about weight, even though it won't stop you from getting there, you wouldn't have either.

• Sad
Reactions: Tewstroke

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
I am not trashing on shot. Cool concept. That is how i got off on belt drives. Cool concept but it isn't some huge gain over a chaincase that everyone thinks it is. Ski doo doesn't think so or it would be on them. Ive tested them against each other.
I know why everyone thinks shot is better and thats because its lighter and you don't have to pull the rope. You do have to pull the rope once and possibly after lunch. There is some variable there on different sleds. E start you don't have to pull the rope once. You can knock 13 or so pounds out of a polaris with cv customs lightweight battery kit but then you might have to pull rope once if cold. Haven't yet but its been close. I still haven't heard beyond a doubt what e start weighs. I've heard anywhere from 20 to 25 pounds.
Also i am just bored so arguing for the sake of it. How can shot be better than e start if you have to pull the rope? If it is because of weight, shot isn't weight free. If people were so concerned about weight, even though it won't stop you from getting there, you wouldn't have either.

I'll take e-start or SHOT over pull start any day. The energy you save by not pulling the rope all day in sometimes tough spots makes either worth it. With SHOT, you get a one-pull e-start and 20 pounds less weight. If Poo snd Cat could figure out how to do it, they would.

Belt drives save weight and rotating mass, those are two advantages. Why hasn't Doo done it yet? For the same reason it took so long for them to doo LED headlights and big screen displays; money. Doo is all about the dollar.

Cat's move to a belt drive may finally push Doo to one too, we shall see.

Reactions: JH@CM

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
but you only pull the rope once so how is that a valid point against?
It’s all good. Discussing/debating sled stuff is always a good way to pass the time. Totally agree with you on belt drives as they’re a solution in search of a problem. They’re marketed as performance improvements but if any improvement is there it’s negligible and not worth the coin and we’d all have them if they were that great. I do think they’re great if you like to experiment with gear ratios and such.
I think the majority of people would think that since you have to pull the rope once on the trailer then that’s not even worth mentioning. It’s just not an issue. SHOT gives a significant loss in weight and no battery to maintain and maybe complexity too but not sure.

Last edited:

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
If i had my choice I'd take shot. I had a doo that i would load in trailer and it would work to unload and after lunch. Then had one that pull to load. Unload and after lunch

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho

Is there a post forward for the G5

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

R
May 6, 2018
It’s all good. Discussing/debating sled stuff is always a good way to pass the time. Totally agree with you on belt drives as they’re a solution in search of a problem. They’re marketed as performance improvements but if any improvement is there it’s negligible and not worth the coin and we’d all have them if they were that great. I do think they’re great if you like to experiment with gear ratios and such.
I think the majority of people would think that since you have to pull the rope once on the trailer then that’s not even worth mentioning. It’s just not an issue. SHOT gives a significant loss in weight and no battery to maintain and maybe complexity too but not sure.
No it’s 1200$ to add a belt drive…. More people would have them if they didn’t cost so much.

Premium Features