• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Thoughts coming from polaris?

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
I have a 9R on order but who knows when it will show. Been thinking about picking up a 23 skidoo turbo expert. I currently have a 21 khaos 155 Anyone have experience going from polaris to skidoo? The steering has always felt funky to me. Do you get used to it?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Reactions: moose

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
Like anything, a little time on something you get used to it.

So far my 23 expert turbo runs great. About 40% left on break in.

No real issues. Just gas and oil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: bjd68 and live2beel

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I have a 9R on order but who knows when it will show. Been thinking about picking up a 23 skidoo turbo expert. I currently have a 21 khaos 155 Anyone have experience going from polaris to skidoo? The steering has always felt funky to me. Do you get used to it?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
I've rode both and could hop back and forth on either. No big deal. Now the first time was a different story. Once you're used to it, it's fine. Guys will tell you one is better than the other. Bs, it's just what your used to. Just make sure you put riser in line. Don't roll it forward. Puts the funk in it.
9r is going to be stellar. I'm going to ride a lynx this year and my wife a 9r. No trouble jumping back and forth.

Calvin42

Premium Member
Oct 14, 2008
Cantonment, FL
I've been a Doo guy for a long time with a few Poo's scattered in there. Both are great sleds, but have been on Doo's so long that I'm just really happy with the handling and quality. I visited a friend last year in Steamboat and rented a Khaos 650 155" for three days. I'm always a big power guy, but was thoroughly impressed. I rode his wife's 850 Doo for two more days and didn't see a huge difference in handling, however, I felt the Doo handling slightly easier. You won't be disappointed. Especially if you're buying a Turbo, you won't get the grin off your face.

idahoskiguy

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
Boise, ID
Ride both as my son has a KHAOS 155 850 and I ride a Summit Expert 165 Turbo R and each has its own unique feel. It just boils down to seat time.

M
Dec 11, 2018
I Rode strictly Polaris for 20 years, switched to skidoo in 2020/2021 season. Went from a 2019 AXYS 850 163 NA, to a 21 Expert Turbo 165. There was a learning curve, IMO the skidoo takes more rider input to get it in the direction you want to go, but feels more planted once you’re there. Took me about 3 days to really get comfortable, but now I’m pretty sold on the skidoo. Picked up a 2023 Expert Turbo, first ride is Saturday. So I can’t provide any feedback on that sled yet.

At this point, I’m more comfortable in the trees and crazy sh*tholes on my skidoo than I ever was on the Polaris, but it’s an easy transition back to the Polaris when a friend offers up a test ride.

• Angry
Reactions: ullose272 and damx

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
Ridden both. Our group is split with Doo and Poo, and one Cat.

Poo and Doo are both great and if you ride a Summit with the t- motion removed, they handle a lot alike.

SHOT on the Doo is something I would miss on the Poo. The Poo is better looking and gas better stock storage. Doo is higher quality and a smoother motor and more reliable. Doo accessories are nicer.

Calvin42

Premium Member
Oct 14, 2008
Cantonment, FL
Anyone who hops on a Doo for 5 minutes says there is no way they could ride one. Spend a couple days on one and you’ll be comfortable on it.
That's how I feel about Cat. They're a good sled, but I get on one and feel like I've never ridden a sled before, and I've been riding for 50 years.

M

McTwist700

Dec 2, 2010
Whitehorse Yukon
Anyone who hops on a Doo for 5 minutes says there is no way they could ride one. Spend a couple days on one and you’ll be comfortable on it.
Agreed. I spent 30 mins on an 18 khaos and did not find it difficult or uncomfortable to ride. It was different, but I liked it enough to consider getting the poo over the doo this year. Couldn't gamble on getting the poo I wanted when doo was first to open up snow check

D
Dec 22, 2018
Major difference between Pol and Doo is the steering and front suspension and how it affects on handling. With Polaris you don´t use steering that much, spindles are lower so the sled tips more easily just managing your weight on the boards. Doo on the other hand has taller spindles and more positive caster, so it requires more counter steering and use of skis when carving. Usually for the Pol guys its easier to hop on a Doo than other way around. Takes just time and some miles to get use to them. Personally I feel that only advantage on Pol´s vertical streering comes when sidehilling, otherwise its pain in the ass on other type of riding.

Pol has been allways the rigid sled when Doo has been the wild horse. Locking T-motion has helped on this on past years and new expert has no t-motion or flexedge track anymore.

Tunnel is a bit wider on Doo as they use 16" track and Pol 15". For this reason some shorter riders prefer Polaris over Doo as it feels more like motorcycle and you can stand on narrower position.

Talking about tracks, in general Pol has allways had softer lugs that help the sled climb on the top of the snow better. But then Doo track has more traction when snow is a bit more packed. Interesting to see how new tack on Doo performs.

But if you have liked Pol so far, new G5 expert shouldn´t be too far off.

When talking about quality and technology and accesories, doo is far ahead. Shot, direct injection, linq...

AkSledHed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 12, 2009
Eagle River, Ak
I tried riding a Polaris RMK 155 (2014?) years ago and could not stay on the damn thing, every time I'd go to carve I'd fall off the sled but I think that was because I was riding a Doo prior to jumping on the RMK and the Doo does require a bit more input from the rider to get it on it's side. I have a buddy that's a die hard Polaris rider and he wouldn't even ride my G4 last year because he was afraid he was going to like it, he moved to Colorado and bought a new Polaris Matryx and a 22 Doo G4 600r for his wife, I have a feeling he's going to ride it this year but he will probably not tell me about it. :ROFLMAO:

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
One other thing you will notice going from poo to doo is the high inertia from high secondary. Doo riders are used to so they will say it's not there. If you were spinning a circle, in powder, and get 3/4 through and it feels like it's stuck in one spot and wants to go straight. More effort to complete the circle. It is there compared to a polaris

tdorval

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Red Lodge, MT
Guys that have done the swap, would you say track lengths compare well? I always wonder should a 165 polaris rider hop on a 154 doo since the track is wider? How do the compare in that aspect?

Reactions: ullose272
T
Jan 13, 2013
Ive bounced between polaris and cat for my entire sledding career. Just switched to doo because I was sick of blown up sleds and bending a arms without hitting anything (yes I bent a polaris axys a arm just doing a re entry on harder snow). Never felt more comfortable on a sled then jumping on a doo and ive always struggled with doos in the past. I think proper handlebar setup is more crucial on the doo because of their steering. I feel less strain on my shoulders and arms riding this sled then previous sleds and its extremely predicable over bumps much more so then the polaris and cats. The new G5 is a lot more comfortable then the G4s being so much narrower now. 34" front end also helps compensate the 16" wide track for getting on edge but it does take slightly more effect to get onto edge in some conditions. Also the built quality is so much better then the polaris and cat its almost had to believe there is such a big difference between the brands

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
Two in our group bought new 2023 Polaris RMKs. One has pull start, the other electric start. SHOT is so much better than either one.

The new 10.25 Doo gauge is so-so. It looks good, but the Polaris gauge is better. The Doo gauge has no buddy tracking and it's trail mapping is inferior.

The Doo tether is nicer and smoother to use. On the Polaris, the plastic section where the tether is located looks like it will pull off each time you pull the tether off. The plastic flexes quite a bit and the tether release is not as smooth as the Doo's.

The stock Doo rail scratchers are much nicer than the Polaris ones. The Doo ones will not break if you go into reverse with them down.

Doo's Linq system is better than Polaris's latest attempt at a tunnel system.

Polaris has much better stock storage than doo. Doo's stock storage is small and the shape makes it less useful.

Polaris has less rotating mass and lower rotating mass than the Doo. Polaris uses a belt drive and their secondary clutch is lower than the one on the Doo. All that means the Polaris is easier to maneuver.

Polaris's body panels are much easier to remove. Doo just can't seem to make its hood easy to take off.

Polaris has a vertical steering post, Doo's is more laid down. You can add post-forward on the Doo to get it more vertical, but even then the Polaris will be more upright. Some like a more upright post. I'm fine with the Doo's once you add the post-forward.

Motor - the Doo is smoother and more refined. Has more low and mid grunt. Polaris seems to have more upper end grunt.

The Doo has a decent removable snow flap, the Polaris has none. In harder or low snow conditions getting to the mountains the Doo will run cooler and the hyrax will be happier. There is an aftermarket snow-flap in the works for the Polaris.

Premium Features