• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Switched to Legend Oil

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
That’s good, but in 2009 I put 3500 miles on a M8, all with Polaris VES gold because that is what I could get locally, never cleaned the power valves once, pulled them once or twice and they always looked good, just wiped them off and put them back in

Anyway, yes there are differences in an oils additive package that can make huge differences in perceived performance because of how they smell or how much they smoke,

Just for FYI, there are only a couple of plants still making base oils in America, all oils are made from those base oils, each company just has it mixed with their secret additive package or mixs it themselves.

now excuse me while I go put some Zmax in my sled:party:

H
Dec 11, 2008
That’s good, but in 2009 I put 3500 miles on a M8, all with Polaris VES gold because that is what I could get locally, never cleaned the power valves once, pulled them once or twice and they always looked good, just wiped them off and put them back in

Anyway, yes there are differences in an oils additive package that can make huge differences in perceived performance because of how they smell or how much they smoke,

Just for FYI, there are only a couple of plants still making base oils in America, all oils are made from those base oils, each company just has it mixed with their secret additive package or mixs it themselves.

WOW! I was just letting you all know my experiance with oils and that I currently use Legend with good performance!

Didn't mean to give you a "boner" Dave!

S

snobyrd

Nov 27, 2007
northeast bc
The Legend oil is a great oil.. Does it do everything that it claims?? Not sure.. But it is the best oil we have tested and for that reason we use it and will contnue to do so until something better comes along. We use to do alot of testing for Blue Marble back when it first came out.. They had a good oil, for a while, and then they altered its chemical composition until it became a very poor oil (IMO).
In any case.. IMO, synthetic oils are not right for a 2 stroke engine.. I have written a little tech article addressing the reasons why I feel that way.. you can read it at http://www.2strokeheads. QCperfor... to make it go better, boy was i wrong. jmo

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
WOW! I was just letting you all know my experiance with oils and that I currently use Legend with good performance!

Didn't mean to give you a "boner" Dave!

didnt mean for it to come off that way, plesase dont take it that way, just shareing my experience as well:face-icon-small-hap

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
So here is a piston out of my 06 M7 with 4000 miles on APV oil. (put new pistons and rings in, rkt head and secondary kit) First thing i thought was wow whats with all the blow by? after talking with Kelsey and doing some research on synthetic oils im switching to legend. Maybe im buying "snake oil" but everything ive read and told about synthetic oils glazing the cylinder makes sense to me. btw i feel the apv did very well at protecting the motor.

DSC04709 (2).jpg

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO

Dave, I wasn't even running the Polaris VES oil in my 09' M8 for %90 of last season .... I was running the Polaris Blue synthetic blend stuff ... ;)

My EV's were still very clean even after using the oldschool polaris blue stuff and then 4 gallons of Legend last spring.

I don't think the legend would have resulted in any "burning clean" of my EV's after 1100 miles of Polaris blue on them, but they looked great.

Cat EV's dont seem to gunk up near as bad as Polaris motors do.

If Beers still sold the regular polaris blue synthetic blend stuff I'd probably still be running it quite honestly.

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
I don't buy much of anything at Beers shop, I go to the KTM/Polaris shop in Rock springs

F

Firetrail

Nov 29, 2007
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
xxx

Dave:

You got some ZMax??? That is the best stuff ever. I might trade you a couple of them Cyclone things for a bottle.

I have a friend who has rented sleds as part of his business for 20+ years. Currently he rents about 40 sleds and they go average 3000 miles a year. That is 120,000 miles a year on his fleet and he trades them off every 2 years so he puts about a quarter million miles on the sleds. To my knowlege he has never lost an engine and they get the snot rode out of them. I have used the same oil for probably 15 years and have never had engine problems. I stopped cleaning my APVs because they never needed it. I use a 2 stroke oil that has been fleet proven to be easy on engines and not gum up the works. It is widely available, smells OK and is less than $5 a quart in gallons. Would I switch to another oil?? Absolutely not. No reason. Is it "the best". Who cares as long as it does what any good oil should.

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
my redline racing oil is so good i can ride hardpack 50 miles straight and not have any wear on my sliders...!!!

A

aktreekiller

Dec 16, 2008
Anchorage, Ak
wow

I just switched from regular paper towels, to sham wow's, and they are amazing. :face-icon-small-coo Whats everyone else doing? I just think its funny how these posts end up. Legends really did make a difference in the performance of my sled. Tim

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
and history is a comfortable bed for facts to sleep on...and the success of many oils under the most demanding conditions can sleep a full night on that bed...the newcomers have yet to have the age to sleep long...they can so far only claim to nap...!!!

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
Back to the oil. We have two M7's and an RMK 600. One running APV, one running a brown synthetic "mystery oil", and one running VES. We all put on about 120 miles before switching to the ZX-2SR to see if there was a difference.

This is our second ride on the oil and we all agree that there is a noticeable improvement idle quality, and throttle response. Just generally more smooth and powerful motors. We're all very very impressed with the oil. Never before would I have thought that running a different oil would give you performance gains. .

Anyway..i can;t read the thread...but for those wanting posts to be fact related...well look at the above bs post that started it all...???..improved throttle...more powerful motors...etc etc...ROFLMAO...

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
So here is a piston out of my 06 M7 with 4000 miles on APV oil. (put new pistons and rings in, rkt head and secondary kit) First thing i thought was wow whats with all the blow by? after talking with Kelsey and doing some research on synthetic oils im switching to legend. Maybe im buying "snake oil" but everything ive read and told about synthetic oils glazing the cylinder makes sense to me. btw i feel the apv did very well at protecting the motor.

i had this happen on Arctic apv oil...but not on Redline..

Premium Features