• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Switched to Legend Oil

tdbaugha

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2009
USA
Hello, first off I just want to say that this is my first season on a mountain sled and I've read snowest religiously for the past 8 months.

As a lot of you know, Legend oil is supposedly sooo much better than all the other oils. When I read this I was skeptical as many of you are. Legend oil happens to be about 45 minutes from my hometown in downstate Michigan. Two of my roommates and I decided to give it a try. We went with the "special race" ZX-2SR oil. We went directly to the Legend facility and had a hour and a half conversation with the owner and lead developer Mark Zaic. Let me just say that he is very knowledgeable. He is in the business more for the science than the money. All the profits go towards his R&D. He has many things he's working on, some not related to oil at all. I know that he was giving us a bit of a sales pitch but we had already bought the oil and I could tell that he was pretty straight with us.

Back to the oil. We have two M7's and an RMK 600. One running APV, one running a brown synthetic "mystery oil", and one running VES. We all put on about 120 miles before switching to the ZX-2SR to see if there was a difference.

This is our second ride on the oil and we all agree that there is a noticeable improvement idle quality, and throttle response. Just generally more smooth and powerful motors. We're all very very impressed with the oil. Never before would I have thought that running a different oil would give you performance gains. Also, no smoke like the bottle claims. I'll have to wait and see how the power valves look after this season but if it's anything like everybody else has been saying, they should be pretty clean.

I just thought I would share my experience with Legend oil and recommend it to anyone looking for a quality oil.

E

Evolution Powersports

Nov 23, 2006
I use the Mystik Sea and Snow. It is rated JASO FD and costs 14.99 per gallon at Fleet Farm. Works great. Never had any oil related problems in any of the 10 snowmobiles I own.

A

aktreekiller

Dec 16, 2008
Anchorage, Ak
hey

I'v been running legend oil for about 500 miles, and it really is amazing oil. It burns so good, and theres no black oil in my intake boot, or my pipe. I noticed a huge difference in how my sled ran when I got through the second tank of it. great stuff. The only problem is that it dosen't smell like two stroke,(lv that smell), but i can bring my riding gear in and not smell the whole house up. Tim

Last edited:

tdbaugha

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2009
USA
I'v been running legend oil for about 500 miles, and it really is amazing oil. It burns so good, and theres black oil in my intake boot, or my pipe. I noticed a huge difference in how my sled ran when I got through the second tank of it. great stuff. The only problem is that it dosen't smell like two stroke,(lv that smell), but i can bring my riding gear in and not smell the whole house up. Tim

I was thinking the same thing as far as the second tank. I siphoned out as much APV as I could but it is still a mix of legend and APV that I'm burning. I look forward to running 100% legend.

Qreiff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
Yes! I couldn't agree more.

AK........didn't you mean "no more" black oil in my intake boot or pipe??

Just wanted to clarify.........

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
I've gone through ~5 gallons of SR2 in my M8 now, seems to be working pretty well ..

We'll see how it holds up to turbo abuse this year :)

C
Feb 9, 2010
Missoula, MT
I am one of the M7's that switched to it in the original post and I am still on my first tank of it but so far I can definitely tell a difference in acceleration, throttle response, and just overall power. I am very happy with the oil so far and am glad that I made the change. There is no smoke either which is nice, and I also think that it made the sleds run quieter, but that could just be me thinking so because I know we made a switch.

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
I am one of the M7's that switched to it in the original post and I am still on my first tank of it but so far I can definitely tell a difference in acceleration, throttle response, and just overall power. I am very happy with the oil so far and am glad that I made the change. There is no smoke either which is nice, and I also think that it made the sleds run quieter, but that could just be me thinking so because I know we made a switch.

You are the reason they created a placebo. :face-icon-small-win

E

elvis1280

Apr 23, 2009
STEAMBOAT SPGS, CO
Too bad everybody isn't as open minded about switching their oil to legend. Its nice to see that you toured the factory and met mark. He is an encyclopedia of knowledge and is the only engine builder out there who created his own oil. He saw first hand what synthetics do to two stroke motors and fixed it.
pretty cool in my book, i wish i was that smart. I found legend oil in 09' and now there are 10 m series and 1 poo that i have got on this stuff. good for you for reading and reading.

chris

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
What do synthetics do to a 2 stroke motor? I was recently told (by a very reliable source) to get that crap out of my sled.

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
Catforlife;2523423so far I can definitely tell a difference in acceleration said:
i am not going to dis any oil....but oil just doesn;t have the magical qualitys above unless you were using bunker oil in your sled...and a comment as well is made that the profits from sales of Legend go back inti R&D...well i want that done ahead of time before i put it in my sled...nothing is better then Redline...im not saying Redline is the best...im just saying NOTHING is better then Redline

Last edited:
R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
Good luck with that. You just bought into the one of the biggest hoaxes I know of.

As mentioned, I'll happily put my redline race oil against legend snake oil any day. At least it has sound engineering/formulation and a good basestock.

Are you saying good luck to me? cause i havent bought into anything yet. just trying to get some facts before i do make a change.

J

JasonAK

Dec 5, 2007
Good luck with that. You just bought into the one of the biggest hoaxes I know of.

As mentioned, I'll happily put my redline race oil against legend snake oil any day. At least it has sound engineering/formulation and a good basestock.

Seriously! You are going to tell us that it is a Hoax and it is not as good as Redline, but give us no information as to why. If you know something we don't, let us know.

Maybe you could start by telling us all what is a good base stock is and why? This seams to be one of your concerns.

Maybe give us a rating comparison between the two oils and how they relate to Arctic Cat, Ski-Doo, and Polaris Min. Standards?

Maybe help us understand what sound engineering is? I assume you have information pertaining to where the engineers for both company's went to school.

Or a brief overview of your education as relating to chemical engineering.

I have a open mind and I willing to here a educated theory as to why redline is better.

Or is this just one of those "my dad can beat up your dad posts"

Jason

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
Redline is better...well....because...its better...like do we need to fall into a septic tank to know it stinks...do we need to go to Rome to know it exists...lol...just joshing..i just stand by my believe that Redline is second to none

E

elvis1280

Apr 23, 2009
STEAMBOAT SPGS, CO
Redline is better...well....because...its better...like do we need to fall into a septic tank to know it stinks...do we need to go to Rome to know it exists...lol...just joshing..i just stand by my believe that Redline is second to none

that just a very intelligent answer? You should meet the owner of legend, areospace engineer, chemical engineer, snowmobile engine builder for 25 years! Is your redline oil synthetic? If So you should learn that the synthetc molecule does not burn!
IF its not combusting than its eventually going to cause blow by due to the glazing of the unburnt oil. I am not saying LEGEND IS THE BEST, THERE IS JUST NOTHING BETTER?

Premium Features