• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

super lightweight pro

P

pelon

Oct 29, 2008
Billings Montana
399 dry weight with a turbo....I don't think so..... maybe 499. If it is 399 lbs, I want to know how that"s possible

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Doable? YES!! CUBIC DOLLARS, BABY, CUBIC DOLLARS!

399 dry weight with a turbo....I don't think so..... maybe 499. If it is 399 lbs, I want to know how's possible

This from a Yammi guy, go figure. (No offense just an observation)

It is not cheap but by borrowing the existing technology from the aircraft, the aerospace, and the bicycle industry (as well as Formula 1 car technology and others) and focusing on the strength to weight ratio of every single part, You can get there.

R&D at Polaris has a 340# dry weight PRO RMK proto type that has been on the snow for three years now. Basicly you trade all the metalic parts you can for Carbon Fibre ones. The ones that need to be metal you choose the best strength to weight ratio alloy for the function that part does; whether chromoly, Titanium, or high strength aerospace alumuinum. All the fasteners that need to be strong should be Titanium, others can be 7075-T6 Hard anodized aluminum (especially with the adhesive they are using now, as the fasteners on the chassis portion are there to hold it in position while curing for the most part).

This will piss off ICR yet again, but in the next few years, I will have My Version of the Polaris PRO RMK completed. My Goal is 400# Wet Weight (full of all the needed fluids) Ready To Ride and while doing so engineer out out the factory failings (read compromises) as far as strength and durability as well as incresing the efficiency of the sled. That said I need to cut about 10-15 more pounds than they did on the Polaris R&D sled to make up for the fuel, oil, and coolant, weight.

Definately will not be a cheap build but doable for sure. Just think in cubic dollars, unless you can make the molds and do most of the Carbon Fiber parts yourself (which in itself is pretty daunting expense for the equiptment needed). As well as the fabrication of all the exotic metal pieces. You are not going to get there buying the current offering of off the shelf aftermarket parts as most companies are keyed for volume sales and not the ultra strong, ultralite weight, extreamly high quality parts one needs to reach these numbers.

Last edited:
A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
399 dry weight with a turbo....I don't think so..... maybe 499. If it is 399 lbs, I want to know how that"s possible

It's 399 with oil and coolant full, no fuel. If it didn't have turbo I'm shure it would be close to 380lbs. But I see in some of his pics his lightweight spindles are back to stock, so 401 now lol !!!!

S

SNWMBL

Feb 14, 2010
AK
Anything is possible if you think outside the box. Just bolting on everybody's parts will not get you there though. They've got pretty strong composite and fiberglass fasteners now that are considerably lighter than even aluminum that would work in any non load bearing location (oil tank, coolant tank, plastics, ect.)

Last edited:
A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
Cmx weights from the website

415 no turbo 155" track

425 turbo 163"track

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
406 with oil and coolant, 900 big bore no turbo, 3 in track which is 11lbs heavier than the stock track. This is a sled that carls cycle built.

vertical800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Columbus, ND
It is a 146 track and skid. RMX does that to cut weight down they said in the Snowest article that they did on the 2012 sled they built. Rocky Young of Boondocker turbos has a 2013 pro 155 that he's go all modded up and claims it's in the 375-380 lb. range in the Oct issue of Sled heads magazine.

Last edited:
P

pelon

Oct 29, 2008
Billings Montana
Anything is possible if you think outside the box. Just bolting on everybody's parts will not get you there though. They've got pretty strong composite and fiberglass fasteners now that are considerably lighter than even aluminum that would work in any non load bearing location (oil tank, coolant tank, plastics, ect.)

I definitely agree. You can make any sled considerable lighter than stock. Even a Yamaha can weight 500 or less wet naturally aspirated.

P

pelon

Oct 29, 2008
Billings Montana
This from a Yammi guy, go figure. (No offense just an observation)

It is not cheap but by borrowing the existing technology from the aircraft, the aerospace, and the bicycle industry (as well as Formula 1 car technology and others) and focusing on the strength to weight ratio of every single part, You can get there.

R&D at Polaris has a 340# dry weight PRO RMK proto type that has been on the snow for three years now. Basicly you trade all the metalic parts you can for Carbon Fibre ones. The ones that need to be metal you choose the best strength to weight ratio alloy for the function that part does; whether chromoly, Titanium, or high strength aerospace alumuinum. All the fasteners that need to be strong should be Titanium, others can be 7075-T6 Hard anodized aluminum (especially with the adhesive they are using now, as the fasteners on the chassis portion are there to hold it in position while curing for the most part).

This will piss off ICR yet again, but in the next few years, I will have My Version of the Polaris PRO RMK completed. My Goal is 400# Wet Weight (full of all the needed fluids) Ready To Ride and while doing so engineer out out the factory failings (read compromises) as far as strength and durability as well as incresing the efficiency of the sled. That said I need to cut about 10-15 more pounds than they did on the Polaris R&D sled to make up for the fuel, oil, and coolant, weight.

Definately will not be a cheap build but doable for sure. Just think in cubic dollars, unless you can make the molds and do most of the Carbon Fiber parts yourself (which in itself is pretty daunting expense for the equiptment needed). As well as the fabrication of all the exotic metal pieces. You are not going to get there buying the current offering of off the shelf aftermarket parts as most companies are keyed for volume sales and not the ultra strong, ultralite weight, extreamly high quality parts one needs to reach these numbers.

For future reference try taking your sisters underwear off before you reply to a post. You won't seem so much like a puss right off the bat. In addition, I'm not a yammy guy.....it's just what I prefer right now until one of the manufacturers has a good base to start with....including a motor.

Other than that, I think almost anything is doable if you have the money, but so many claim their sled is so light, but it always turns out to be dry weight and naturally aspirated.

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
Add 35 lbs for a complete turbo system plus 66 lbs for fuel = 507lb. Will get lighter as the day goes on though.

What's your point? Add fuel to burandts sled and it's 465 wet. And It already has a turbo. Looking at his build there is more that could come off the sled.

Premium Features