• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Spot

S
Nov 26, 2007
FU
got a few from Snow JW for me and my friends. They are great insurance, like wearing a jock strap and keeps the GF happy. My buddy wrote a program to post messages on the Sledmods.com forum. So if there is an emergency all the local riders (the ones who are memebers) will know and act accordingly

Yamadoo04

Premium Member
Oct 4, 2005
Herriman, Utah
www.youtube.com
got a few from Snow JW for me and my friends. They are great insurance, like wearing a jock strap and keeps the GF happy. My buddy wrote a program to post messages on the Sledmods.com forum. So if there is an emergency all the local riders (the ones who are memebers) will know and act accordingly

Can your buddy write one to put onto snowest?

D
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton, AB
I'll stick with a radio.

Biggest thing I have against SPOT in an emergency is that it's a one-way pager. No way of relaying information as far as what type of emergency, how many involved, response needed, or other helpful information to responders. I can do that with a two-way.

All that and you don't know if your message got out or not. It'll tell you it transmitted but there is no validation back from the satellite. Since there isn't one perfect backcountry solution SPOT has its place as PART of the solution.

J

John

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jan 27, 2003
Boise, Id
I'll stick with a radio.

Biggest thing I have against SPOT in an emergency is that it's a one-way pager. No way of relaying information as far as what type of emergency, how many involved, response needed, or other helpful information to responders. I can do that with a two-way.

That is a biggie too. When my buddy broke his neck last season they were going to send an ambulance...we were 17 miles up a nasty trail. I didn't push the button (911), I went up on a ridge and called and had to convince the 911 operator that we needed a chopper. Hard telling how much time would have been added to the response had I just pushed the button. That said, it never hurts to hedge your bets by having one.

Yamadoo04

Premium Member
Oct 4, 2005
Herriman, Utah
www.youtube.com
That is a biggie too. When my buddy broke his neck last season they were going to send an ambulance...we were 17 miles up a nasty trail. I didn't push the button (911), I went up on a ridge and called and had to convince the 911 operator that we needed a chopper. Hard telling how much time would have been added to the response had I just pushed the button. That said, it never hurts to hedge your bets by having one.

I agree a call is best. But as soon as something happens you can hit the 911 button and start sending a signal. For us we can't get cell service in a lot of areas even if we do get to a ridge top. We do carry a sat phone but that sometimes takes 10 -15 minutes to get a signal. then the call gets dropped. Nice to know with this, someone should be getting a signal and know exactly where we are with the GPS cooridinates. Help could be on its way and know exactly where your at before you can get the sat phone out and start to dial.

P
Nov 26, 2007
I got one this spring and used it all summer. Did many checks from wilderness etc never had any trouble at all. I did drop it in a lake, it is water proof and did not bother it at all.

This is one of the best electronic gadgets I have ever owned. I do lots alone and out of cell service. When I am out I send my wife the OK signal when I get where I am going and when I leave to come home or get back to camp for the night and she worries much less. The message always goes through.

As far as the 911 feature. Never have used it. In a real emergency, I see no dowside to having it around.

The one flaw in the device is the belt clip. It does not hold on very well.

Yamadoo04

Premium Member
Oct 4, 2005
Herriman, Utah
www.youtube.com
FYI for those who are interested in if this thing works or not in a backpack, I tested the Spot when I got home today and it worked great from inside my backpack. I guess I won't need to get a strap after all. I can just stick in my pack and away I go.

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
Mine is always in my pack, always works and is out of the way......believe me, if you ever get in a real back country situation, you will want very resource you can get your hands on, I carry a phone, radio, GPS and SPOT.....I don't care which one works, I want help and I want it NOW!

Been there done that, hope I never do it again:eek:

Premium Features