• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

sled deck on a 1/2 ton ford truck

I
Nov 26, 2007
Prince George BC
Safety is part of it but liability is the big thing I think - how many sledders are in accidents? Next to none in comparison to the number of vehicles on the road. BUT - you dont even need to be at fault if a sharp lawyer proves you were overloaded - kinda like driving drunk... Id hate to have some moronic grandma drive under me and then have insurance tell me to pound salt and I have to cut her family a cheque for a couple million :mad:

I
Dec 5, 2007
Red Deer, AB
Dude just asking a simple question and want some honest answer dont need smart a... comments. For shure I dont need you to tell me its ok to run a sled deck If I wanted too I would. Like I said before I drive truck for living and 10 times out one the vehicule is over weight so I now what is over weight/ I was just looking for people that are running 1/2 ton trucks with sled decks how the truck is outfitted. Why dont you quit your bull s... keep your comments to yourself. Thanks
IT'S YOUR LIFE DUDE, SOUNDS LIKE YOU MADE UP YOUR MIND, PUT THE DECK ON AND SHUT -P, YOU ASKED, MOST ARE TELLING YOU TO BUY THE TRAILER, YOU THEN CAN HAUL 4 SLEDS HAVE NO PROBLEM, YOU MAY BE ONE OF THE TRUCK DRIVERS WHO WILL MAKE THE NEWS AS BEING OVERLOADED AND KILLING SOMEONE OR YOUR FAMILY, i SUPPOSE YOU DON'T HAVE HELMETS EITHER, YOU MUST BE A RENEGADE

C
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton, AB
IT'S YOUR LIFE DUDE, SOUNDS LIKE YOU MADE UP YOUR MIND, PUT THE DECK ON AND SHUT -P, YOU ASKED, MOST ARE TELLING YOU TO BUY THE TRAILER, YOU THEN CAN HAUL 4 SLEDS HAVE NO PROBLEM, YOU MAY BE ONE OF THE TRUCK DRIVERS WHO WILL MAKE THE NEWS AS BEING OVERLOADED AND KILLING SOMEONE OR YOUR FAMILY, i SUPPOSE YOU DON'T HAVE HELMETS EITHER, YOU MUST BE A RENEGADE

Sigh, sadly you do not understand the weight limit for semis. 90% of them are rated max per tire to not hurt the road and not anywere near the capacity of the truck, and why in the winter they can legally haul 10% more.

He was just asking for people's comments on running the deck he came here asking instead of just doing it to see how others felt about it. Therefore he WAS trying to be safe. I'm sorry to tell you, but a overloaded 1/2 ton on the highway is the least of my worries :rolleyes:

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
I like how lots of guys are so worried about this topic in the name of safety....but then the same guys will tell you that tying your sled down on/in the trailer is a waste of time LOL

R
Jan 16, 2008
michigan
Main reason of using a sled deck

I just wanted to clear this up a little. More than likely I will buy a 4 place open trailer when I need to. I do own a inline three place that I use right now. Sled deck just offers some flexibility that I like, but with all the money that I would spend on the truck to haul the sled deck just not worth it right now. Just let you now ibdoo'n I been driving truck for 13yrs now never been in an accident that I have ever caused or ever will. Also why do you assume that I am going to buy a sled deck right now? Why dont you read my post correctly. Dam dude thanks for reminding me about wearing a helmet I never thought of that. Ya right wake up I always wear a helmet. Thanks again for all the info it has already helped.

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
For what it's worth, I used to haul all sorts of stuff in and with my half ton. The most I ever had in the bet was 3800lbs. Yes, I had airbags with an onboard compressor. All that did was make the ride spongy until it bounced off the overloaders.

I went through more drivetrain and front end parts than you could imagine. I towed a 24ft enclosed trailer (gross around 8k) and an equipment trailer with skid steers and tractors every weekend and let me tell you, it beat the truck to ever living hell and back. It got to the point where I would stock U joints at home because I had to replace them every 3-4 months. Same with ball joints, idler arms and rear axle bearings.

The best thing I ever did was get a 3/4 ton diesel. I tow/haul bigger loads and have only replaced the U joints as a precautionary measure when I bought the truck 2 years ago. No more broken parts, no more being stranded or worrying about when I would be.

Take it for what it's worth.

K

kovs

Nov 29, 2007
saskatchewan
overweight

not sure about anywhere else, but in b.c. when they do there dot checks in golden, which are quite popular, if your over on your 1/2ton you will be leaving a sled there before your rig goes anywhere, its that simple. buddy had it happen to him, had to make a trip back from calgary to get it, where he left other one, then got stopped here in sask again by dot, they weighed him up, over on rear axle limit, no ticket but if they seen 2 on there again, it would be impounded with a fine.

S
Aug 16, 2004
Winnipeg MB
not sure about anywhere else, but in b.c. when they do there dot checks in golden, which are quite popular, if your over on your 1/2ton you will be leaving a sled there before your rig goes anywhere, its that simple. buddy had it happen to him, had to make a trip back from calgary to get it, where he left other one, then got stopped here in sask again by dot, they weighed him up, over on rear axle limit, no ticket but if they seen 2 on there again, it would be impounded with a fine.

seen it myself and actually put the buddies sled in our trailer outside of Jasper on the way to McBride. this is not BS we speak of. they will make u take the sled off before the truck moves

P
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta
Aluminum deck on a 2008 GMC 1/2T 4x4 with 2 sleds, truck full of fuel with buddy and gear puts me 211 lbs over GVWR of 7005 lbs at the weigh scales (3280kg). Use Timbren rubber springs in the rear and truck sits level.

X
Dec 19, 2007
n. id

man, theres no reason to be like that. not like he wants to put the deck on your rig. If the tread is pissin you off move on and find a new one.

Snorider

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 3, 2008
Beware, a lot of 3/4 tons have semi floating axels now days. They are just bigger than the 1/2 tons. Another reason to go with a 1t.

depends, during the 90's this was the case, but i know on my 04 2500hd it's a full floating axle just like my newer 3500 is. not sure if it's in the packages or not, but most of the 02's and newer 3/4 tons i have looked at have the full floating.

I
Sep 9, 2009
Rd Dr Alberta
I don't know what your province / state regulations are, but in Alberta and BC you cannot carry 2 on a sled deck unless it is a 3/4 or 1 ton. A little more food for thought - the driveline / rear axle and wheel bearings on a 1/2 ton may not like the extra load very much (u-joints, steady bearing, etc). Not to mention you may experience brake fade on longer downhills. IMO, I'd go for the 4 place and run trailer brakes...

you are partially right, you need to weight your truck and see what you can legally carry. i have a 8200 f150 that will carry a sled deck and 2 skidoo xp 154 sleds. i can legally carry 2100lb on the back with only 200 lbs on front axle. and yes i have checked weights on the scales. although most 1/2 tons will not legally carry the load.

R
Nov 25, 2009
Pocatello, Idaho
I want to make one this spring for my truck, but I'm worried about throwing 950 lbs in it, I'd only be hauling one sled, but the truck is a regular cab shortbox half ton w/ the 4.8 V8 5 speed, it'll pull a 4 place with sleds all day long.

Premium Features