• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

sled deck on a 1/2 ton ford truck

C
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton, AB
cyle, weigh your truck, and you will see you may not have the payload you think you have

I've weighted my truck, it's well under 8,000lbs. My 3500 can legally weight 12,000lbs, my axles are rated at 6k a piece and my tires are over 3,500. As far as legal I will find out i'm going to have about 3500lbs in my box coming up from the US pretty soon, not one bit worried that it's not legal. As far as center of gravity, it gets raised 18", wider tires help that also. The thing that bugs me is there is no cut and dry no deck and 2 sleds on a 1500. There are WAY to many varibiles to consider, decks and sleds weight can each vary a good 300lbs. However MOST of the time a 1500 shouldn't be using a sled deck with 2 sleds and a trailer is a better idea, but there are some people i'm sure who do it legally. What about 2500s with a deck with 2 sleds pulling a 4 or 5 place enclosed? I think that's a LOT more unsafe.

Last edited:
I
Dec 5, 2007
Red Deer, AB
The guy wants to haul 4 sleds plus his family, people are trying to give hime good advice, hate to see him take out his kids. He asked, was getting the old you can carry anything routine. If you weighed you truck and you are under the limit no problem, good to go. I have had several salesman tell me i can carry big loads ,only find out after weighing, could only carry 500 lbs.
Weigh the truck before purchase, watch the smiles leave the salesman's face as he plays dumb. Like to tell him he's a dumb fk

L
Sep 24, 2003
Boise, ID
I bought a new tundra last year and I used a sled deck all season.. I put air bags on it to help out, they definatly helped with the ride but I for me it's way better than toting a trailer and having to store it all winter...

Trashy

⚙️
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2003
Sherwood Park, Ab, Canada
sled decks

I've weighted my truck, it's well under 8,000lbs. My 3500 can legally weight 12,000lbs, my axles are rated at 6k a piece and my tires are over 3,500. As far as legal I will find out i'm going to have about 3500lbs in my box coming up from the US pretty soon, not one bit worried that it's not legal. As far as center of gravity, it gets raised 18", wider tires help that also. The thing that bugs me is there is no cut and dry no deck and 2 sleds on a 1500. There are WAY to many varibiles to consider, decks and sleds weight can each vary a good 300lbs. However MOST of the time a 1500 shouldn't be using a sled deck with 2 sleds and a trailer is a better idea, but there are some people i'm sure who do it legally. What about 2500s with a deck with 2 sleds pulling a 4 or 5 place enclosed? I think that's a LOT more unsafe.

I agree with you. your 3500 is way safe. And the no-cut and dry across the board rule that if you had a higher GVW F150 (mine is a 7700; I'm allowed 4800 # on the rear axle alone. But I STILL wouldn't do it) AND had the lightest deck possible AND two light sleds AND carried no extra fuel/gear/stuff in truck/passengers/etc AND had ten ply tires AND airbags AND drove like grandma you probably could get where you're going & just barely legally. BUT that just sounds a little too un-nerving for me, I would rather get my addrenaline while riding, not while white-knuckling it to the hill. Which is anywhere from 5-8 hours for anyone around here...

R
Sep 1, 2001
Maple Grove, MN
300 to 400 lbs some more some less, scales don't lie.

Scales don't lie? The ones all the sled manufactures use sure do! I think what you wanted to say was numbers don't lie.

1/2 ton properly equipped with handle the sled deck. Will it also pull a trailer and so on and so forth, just depends on what's on the trailer etc.

The 1/2 ton in the first post, it will not handle a 2 place sled deck the way it's set up if you go right by the book, but then again who really ever does that to a "T"?

Last edited:
J
Nov 26, 2007
tri-cities, wa
right or wrong i do it.

I have been doing it for years with a dodge 1/2 ton,air bags, home built deck, the truck is lifted too. I have never felt out of control. It handles the bad roads better than towing a trailer. I have to travel two hours to get to the snow/cabin. Sometimes i pull a two place trailer. i never bothered to get the whole thing weighed, but it's probably over it's limit. We've been to revy a few times with this set-up and I've never been bothered.

Granted my next truck will be a 3/4 ton diesel.

It would suck to have a blow out and try to control it, but i suspect that would be the case no matter what.

P1120325.jpg

S

schu

Nov 26, 2007
Houston, AK
A zillion replies and nobody has really touched on the real problem :rolleyes:

The gross weight and springs do matter, but more importantly the type of axle is the crux of the issue.

A 1/2 truck has a semi-floating axle which means the axle comes out though a bearing and the weight of the truck rides on the axle and bearing.

A 3/4 and 1 ton truck have a full floating axle which means the axle passes though a set of bearings attached to the housing and drives the wheel. So the weight of the truck is on the bearings/housing and the axle ONLY drives the tire.

Look at the picture:

14050_275_3.jpg

The axle on the left is a semi-floating axle and the one on the right is a full floating axle. Notice that there much bigger bearings supporting the direct load of the axle on the full floating axle, where on the semi floating axle there is only one bearing and it's off to the side.

I personally wouldn't put that kind of weight on a semi-floating axle because you are asking for trouble. Sure people do it, but I won't.

Once you have a full floating axle then get some airbags and your pretty much set.

schu

Last edited:
R
Jan 16, 2008
michigan
If you are asking this question you already know the answer, Are you trying to get yourself killed. come on, get with the program, put the sled deck on if you want, you asked and were told your overweight, buy the trailer. Quit the bull s... do you want some clown to tell you it's ok and everything will be alright.

You asked and got told.

Dude just asking a simple question and want some honest answer dont need smart a... comments. For shure I dont need you to tell me its ok to run a sled deck If I wanted too I would. Like I said before I drive truck for living and 10 times out one the vehicule is over weight so I now what is over weight/ I was just looking for people that are running 1/2 ton trucks with sled decks how the truck is outfitted. Why dont you quit your bull s... keep your comments to yourself. Thanks

U
Nov 26, 2007
NW Montana
A zillion replies and nobody has really touched on the real problem :rolleyes:

The gross weight and springs do matter, but more importantly the type of axle is the crux of the issue.

A 1/2 truck has a semi-floating axle which means the axle comes out though a bearing and the weight of the truck rides on the axle and bearing.

A 3/4 and 1 ton truck have a full floating axle which means the axle passes though a set of bearings attached to the housing and drives the wheel. So the weight of the truck is on the bearings/housing and the axle ONLY drives the tire.

Look at the picture:

14050_275_3.jpg

The axle on the left is a semi-floating axle and the one on the right is a full floating axle. Notice that there much bigger bearings supporting the direct load of the axle on the full floating axle, where on the semi floating axle there is only one bearing and it's off to the side.

I personally wouldn't put that kind of weight on a semi-floating axle because you are asking for trouble. Sure people do it, but I won't.

Once you have a full floating axle then get some airbags and your pretty much set.

schu

Beware, a lot of 3/4 tons have semi floating axels now days. They are just bigger than the 1/2 tons. Another reason to go with a 1t.

B

boosted metal

Apr 4, 2008
kelowna,b.c
just curious, now your driving a half ton w deck and 2 sleds,gear,fuel etc,airbags or spring helpers whatever, you are in a accident,regardless of fault, vehicle is towed because its undriveable, towed into icbc or any insurance corp. would they not void your insurance, because of over exceeding the manufacturers weight limits,really dont think the extra weight supports will be considerd ?

Blu Du

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2008
Nisswa Mn.
i had a friend that pulled a heavy trailer home from florida with about 2001 chevy half ton. when he got back to mn he took it to the shop and they told him that the wheel bearing ate right into the axiel housing, so he bought a 3/4 ton right then and there.

Blu Du

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2008
Nisswa Mn.
what about a light duty 3/4 ton is what i have. chevy o4. any idea what axial they have.

S

schu

Nov 26, 2007
Houston, AK
Beware, a lot of 3/4 tons have semi floating axels now days. They are just bigger than the 1/2 tons. Another reason to go with a 1t.

Thanks for the heads up Ultra. Things are made cheaper all of the time.

Blu Du said:
What about a light duty 3/4 ton is what i have. chevy o4. any idea what axial they have.

Perhaps the light duty part is what Ultra was referring too. I would suspect the easiest way is to look at the lugs. If it only has 6 lugs then it's almost certainly a semi-floating axle.

Personally, between the light duty axles, single bearing, soft leaf springs, and load range C tires, using a 1/2 truck for this purpose is just asking for it.

Not be start the brand loyal crap, but the 1/2 chevys are NOT trucks, they are a car with a box on it. Sure, they sport a v8 and a little better transmission, but they are not built to do this stuff.

schu

R
Sep 1, 2001
Maple Grove, MN
just curious, now your driving a half ton w deck and 2 sleds,gear,fuel etc,airbags or spring helpers whatever, you are in a accident,regardless of fault, vehicle is towed because its undriveable, towed into icbc or any insurance corp. would they not void your insurance, because of over exceeding the manufacturers weight limits,really dont think the extra weight supports will be considerd ?

It wouldn't be over weight, the sleds and gear would have flown all over the place because like so many on here he probably wouldn't have tied anything down! :devil:

U
Nov 26, 2007
NW Montana
Thanks for the heads up Ultra. Things are made cheaper all of the time.

Perhaps the light duty part is what Ultra was referring too. I would suspect the easiest way is to look at the lugs. If it only has 6 lugs then it's almost certainly a semi-floating axle.

Personally, between the light duty axles, single bearing, soft leaf springs, and load range C tires, using a 1/2 truck for this purpose is just asking for it.

Not be start the brand loyal crap, but the 1/2 chevys are NOT trucks, they are a car with a box on it. Sure, they sport a v8 and a little better transmission, but they are not built to do this stuff.

schu

A lot of the 8 lug axles are semi floaters. The easy way to tell is to look at the hub. Semi floater will be almost flush with the wheel. A full floater will have a noticeably larger hub, about 3.5-4" diameter and about the same depth. Big difference between them.
Chevy also made a light duty 3/4 which was a 6 lug. Not sure if there still making them.

Premium Features