• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

sled deck on a 1/2 ton ford truck

R
Sep 1, 2001
Maple Grove, MN
First of all DOT people or scales will not have any bearing on a 1/2 ton because it won't be commercial which means it won't have to cross the scales.

That being said. All you need to do is look at your door sticker, or manual for the truck you exactly have and simply do math. It's not rocket science what so ever.

Here is information regarding a 2008 F-150 FX4 Automatic with 3:73 gears, 18's for tires, 6.5' box and the 5.4L engine 151" wheel base. It would be a bit over if I did a sled deck with 2 sleds but with air bags you would be safe in terms of handling etc, it's just not what the OEM wants to see people doing on an everyday basis.

GVWR 7200lbs.
GCWR 14,500lbs.
Max Trailer 8700lbs.
Max box load 1630lbs.

But----

If you were a regular cab 4x4 the box load jumps to 2730 with identical chassis, which would allow you to do the sled deck. So you can kind of see it is possible. I wouldn't do it without the bags, but would very seriously consider it with them and probably do it sitting here today.

Trashy

⚙️
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2003
Sherwood Park, Ab, Canada
F150/ sled deck

I agree completely... the point I was trying to make was that it doesn't matter what the emblem on the fender says, if it is legal its legal, and if its overweight its overweight...

R
Jan 16, 2008
michigan
1/2 ton truck

Thanks for all the replys about this topic. I now about payloads whats over weight I drive truck for a living in michigan. My trucks gcwr is 7200 pds the box measures 6'8"with stock tires 275 65/18. I liked the idea of not dealing with a trailer but it just seems that if I had a 3/4 ton truck it would work. I am stuck with this truck until it it is payed off no big deal. I will probably get a four place open or enclosed with all the family members that will be snowmobiling in the next few years. Thanks again.

BigT

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sequim, WA
RJ--your not helping the situation. If you do the math and it works out that you are over weight--DON'T DO IT. Running over weight affects tires, brakes, bearings, axles, trans, and the list goes on.
Bottom line (it has been mentioned many times) weigh the truck, do the math and act accordingly.
Air Bags assist the ride but do not increase load capacity--period!

BigT

ndmtnsledder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
ND
If you grab a Ford F150s brochure at a dealership is has all the specs of capacities and weights by equipment options easiest way to quickly figure it out.

R
In my neck of the woods the DOT have been known to stop and weigh certain vehicles that are obviously over weight. It's more of a safety issue when somebody has 2 Apexes on a deck and pulling a 4-place trailer loaded up using a 1/2 ton...I've seen it. BC is less forgiving in alot of cases. I used my '04 Dodge 2x4 for two years with no problems. Yes it had air bags,that's the only way to go. My '06 dually has bags on it also just to smoothen out the ride. Use common sense when towing or hauling. Braking power for the weight your packing or pulling comes into factor also.

03.07.06 013.jpg 041607 043.jpg

Trashy

⚙️
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2003
Ford truck specs

In case someone repainted your driverside door jam, you can find everything you need to know here...http://www.ford-trucks.com/specs/index.html
Find your year, click on it, then click on specifications on the upper right side.
Don't forget to check the weight ratings on your tires!
Then humor us all and please weigh the thing. At least then you will know where you stand.

Last edited:
C
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton, AB
I don't know why people say BC is so bad, i've been there plenty there are more 1/2 tons with 2 sleds on a deck then you can count, and NEVER seen one pulled over. Not saying you should do it, but they are rarely if ever bothered if it's just a deck and 2 sleds. A 3500 won't get close to being overloaded with a deck, if you are you need to go on atkins or your carrying 300g of fuel or something because a 1 ton can legally haul well over 4000lbs in the bed. If your really careful and have light sleds you'd probably be fine.

Trashy

⚙️
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2003
BC

BC has different regulations on many DOT things than most other parts of Canada... partly because the terrain is pretty unforgiving compared to flatland. For instance you can triple tow (tow a trailer behind your fifthwheel trailer) in most provinces but not in BC.

R
Sep 1, 2001
Maple Grove, MN
RJ--your not helping the situation. If you do the math and it works out that you are over weight--DON'T DO IT. Running over weight affects tires, brakes, bearings, axles, trans, and the list goes on.
Bottom line (it has been mentioned many times) weigh the truck, do the math and act accordingly.
Air Bags assist the ride but do not increase load capacity--period!

BigT

Airbags don't add to the capacity, correct! They do make it handle with whatever load you have way better which in turn makes it safer. Legal if stopped, no. Same thing in terms of guys with mirrors that can't see around the load as well. They aren't any more or any less legal. All things
being taken into consideration it physically can be done. Is it over weight? In a majority of 1/2 ton cases it probably would be as it is in this case. A sled deck can work on a 1/2 ton though. (numbers will allow it with the proper options)

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
The weight is not the only safety consideration here.
The LOCATION of the weight is the problem.

For easy math, lets say you have 2000 lbs capacity after passengers & gear.
If you put 2000 lbs of sandbags in the box it will still handle reletively well.
However, the sled deck will raise the c.o.g. significantly.
Also, the length of sleds will place much of the load behind the rear axle, simulating a heavier load than you are actually carrying.
The 2000 lbs sleds & deck will feel like 3000# in corners etc

Does that make sense?

I
Dec 5, 2007
Red Deer, AB
sorry to inform you, legally you can carry that weight, but you should go weigh your truck at a scale, i'll bet your truck is a lot heavier than you think. Take your scale weight from your gvw and this is what you can carry, and only if your tires are heavy enough. I'll bet you will be overweight alot more than you think, pays to be informed as you will have to pucker up if you get in an accident.

I
Dec 5, 2007
Red Deer, AB
I don't know why people say BC is so bad, i've been there plenty there are more 1/2 tons with 2 sleds on a deck then you can count, and NEVER seen one pulled over. Not saying you should do it, but they are rarely if ever bothered if it's just a deck and 2 sleds. A 3500 won't get close to being overloaded with a deck, if you are you need to go on atkins or your carrying 300g of fuel or something because a 1 ton can legally haul well over 4000lbs in the bed. If your really careful and have light sleds you'd probably be fine.
cyle, weigh your truck, and you will see you may not have the payload you think you have

I
Dec 5, 2007
Red Deer, AB
I have 2004 ford fx4. In my research you need a 3/4 ton truck to use a sled deck. Well there is got to be people out there that are using 1/2 trucks with sled decks. I would like to hear from people with 1/2 ton trucks what kind of up grades that have done to there trucks to make them work. Just looking for honest opinions on this topic. Most people tell me go buy a 3/4 ton truck but not that easy just bought my ford will not get a dam thing for trade on it. So I am stuck with it. If this idea cost to much money I plan on buying a open 4 place trailer I have 4 more future snowmobilers coming up.
If you are asking this question you already know the answer, Are you trying to get yourself killed. come on, get with the program, put the sled deck on if you want, you asked and were told your overweight, buy the trailer. Quit the bull s... do you want some clown to tell you it's ok and everything will be alright.

You asked and got told.

Trashy

⚙️
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2003
decks

so were talking 1200-1400#'s plus fuel plus gear plus all your crap you keep in the box plus your buddies in the truck... likely on the ragged edge. And the fact that you just raised the center of gravity about three feet. And now go drive on some God-awful winter roads. I just don't think I would feel safe doing that. Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but why not settle for an open two place trailer?

Sep 9, 2008
i had a 04 fx4 crew cab 5.5 ft box with a deck

ok yes i know you should have a 3/4 ton but i did custom make a alum deck for my 5.5 f150 cc and i did haul 2 sled on it and 2 on a trailer from calgary to edmonton it was quite a load but the truck handled it fine.i usually just hauled my 2 sport quads and my 1 sled on it but it can be done.

Premium Features