• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

sled deck on a 1/2 ton ford truck

R
Jan 16, 2008
michigan
I have 2004 ford fx4. In my research you need a 3/4 ton truck to use a sled deck. Well there is got to be people out there that are using 1/2 trucks with sled decks. I would like to hear from people with 1/2 ton trucks what kind of up grades that have done to there trucks to make them work. Just looking for honest opinions on this topic. Most people tell me go buy a 3/4 ton truck but not that easy just bought my ford will not get a dam thing for trade on it. So I am stuck with it. If this idea cost to much money I plan on buying a open 4 place trailer I have 4 more future snowmobilers coming up.

sledmanhof

Lifetime Membership
Sep 17, 2005
Canistota, South Dakota
from what ive heard its doable but it can get a little squirly on handling when going on ice and hardpack snow. ive got a f150 and thought about it also but i think i'll wait till i buy a 3/4 ton

F

firecatguy

Nov 26, 2007
End of the Road!!
I have 2004 ford fx4. In my research you need a 3/4 ton truck to use a sled deck. Well there is got to be people out there that are using 1/2 trucks with sled decks. I would like to hear from people with 1/2 ton trucks what kind of up grades that have done to there trucks to make them work. Just looking for honest opinions on this topic. Most people tell me go buy a 3/4 ton truck but not that easy just bought my ford will not get a dam thing for trade on it. So I am stuck with it. If this idea cost to much money I plan on buying a open 4 place trailer I have 4 more future snowmobilers coming up.

same boat here!!i gave up going to go 4place for now
but you can add air bags or more leafs"ford i think" to the rear and "GET BY"

same boat here!!i gave up going to go 4place for now
but you can add air bags or more leafs"ford i think" to the rear and "GET BY"

true you can do an " add a leaf " lift for more support but it would make your unloaded ride suck, go with airshocks or air bags. or you might be able to find some overload springs to put on there to stiffen it up towards the 'half loaded' mark on your springs, i have some on my 85 f-250 and ive put 2 cord of wood in the back and it only squatted 4.5-5 inches

Blu Du

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2008
Nisswa Mn.
air bags + 1/2 ton= no problems. maybe an upgraded tire too 1/2 usally have a light duty tire. if you have a long box that is better too. j.c. whittney has them for $220. there not too bad to put on.

rmkboxer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Bonney lake WA
check and see what the payload is on your truck, I think the newer f-150's payload is like 2500 pds which is plenty. if not you may want to get some airbags. and it depends if you have overloads or not also

R
Sep 1, 2001
Maple Grove, MN
You most likely would want to put a airbag set up in it. Not overloads or anything like that. A airbag set up with a onboard compressor to inflate the bags and you would be fine as long as you stay within your ratings on the truck. Two sleds and gear, plus the sled deck shouldn't be over 2500 lbs and the current F-150 will handle that.

Wheel base and width is comparable to the 3/4 and 1 ton's so that's not an issue. Now if you do a sled deck and trailer with gear, you may start to approach the GCWR of the truck which is not a good thing to go over.

0neoldfart

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Thorsby, Alberta
May want to check with DOT

I don't know what your province / state regulations are, but in Alberta and BC you cannot carry 2 on a sled deck unless it is a 3/4 or 1 ton. A little more food for thought - the driveline / rear axle and wheel bearings on a 1/2 ton may not like the extra load very much (u-joints, steady bearing, etc). Not to mention you may experience brake fade on longer downhills. IMO, I'd go for the 4 place and run trailer brakes...

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
I've got the same exact truck. I haver air bags, they changed the way it handles under load tremendously. I have been considering the sled deck as well and because of the airbags, I'm not really concerned about the weight, I'm more concerned about the length of the bed. 12'-12.5' sleds go way out the back on that particular truck bed. The tailgate would probably have to stay down to allow the back of the sled deck foundation more room.

Blu Du

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2008
Nisswa Mn.
if you don't have a 6'8" box or bigger i don't think a deck would work unless you left tail gate down

C
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton, AB
if you don't have a 6'8" box or bigger i don't think a deck would work unless you left tail gate down

That would cut out any short box. The dodges are only 6'4" and I know others are around the same. All I did was move the legs on my deck, and the deck is fine, as far as stability it's connected to my gooseneck hitch, not really concerned about the deck moving :)

As far as doing it, you would have to buy an alumium deck that is light, and would depend heavily on the sleds as they can range by a lot in weight. First off i'm not trying to offend anyone but the DOT couldn't give 2 craps if your towing/hauling more then ford or dodge tells you to. The only thing DOT is there is if your trailer is over the weight for your state/province and needs brakes, and the maximum your allowed per tire. As far as DOT is concerned, you can haul a deck on a 1/2 if you've got the tires and it looks safe they won't bother you, DOT's MAIN concern is commercial theres a reason a private registered vehicle doesn't have to go threw weight scales.

I
Dec 5, 2007
Red Deer, AB
I'd suggest you take your f150 to the weigh scales and have it weighed. The gvw rating on the sticker on the drivers door minus the weighed truck weight is the max you can legally carry. Period. Air bags, will not increase this weight capacity, talk to the dot they will give you the particulars. For what it's worth, get the correct info and don't listen to old clem, as he has no idea of the legalities, If you get into an accident with an overloaded truck you may find yourself without valid insurance and facing some hefty bills.

If you like taking chances with your life put the deck on the f150. They are usually rated to 1000 lbs max 2 sleds will put you in the 1300 lb range , deck another 300 gas oil gear 300, each buddy another 200

Man you are overloaded buy the trailer, be safe not sorry and have fun.

polarisfornow

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jun 2, 2008
Beautiful Colorado
i looked it up and it says that the max payload for a f150 is 1350 "when properly equipped" so you would be at max payload plus the sled deck is up high so the center of gravity is higher. could be some hairy moments with that combo.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
what were doing on my buddies 1/2 ton is making a flatbed for winter, its gonna be like half the weight of the bed, and will drop center of gravit 2 feet lower, chevy cab and half with 6'8" bed

ndmtnsledder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
ND
It should be doable but it will be close to still be legal. I know on my 07 F150 crewcab 6.5ft box I'm legal for 1750#s in the box and I think my 05 F150 supercab 6.5ft box was about the same. So if the deck weighs 400#s and two sleds at 650#s that puts you at 1700#s just under the limit.

I've had 2000#s plus of shingles, lumber, chemical, and seed in mine on numerous occasions with nothing done to my pickup and it handles it. My 05 I upgraded the stock passenger tires to LT tires which made a huge difference in handling and putting LTs on my 07 now. I'm looking at either going with airbags or helper springs that aren't supposed to affect the unloaded ride before winter to help with pulling the enclosed and misc loads.

Trashy

⚙️
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2003
Sherwood Park, Ab, Canada
F150/sled deck

Regardless of where you are ( I am familiar with the BC rule of no 2-sled decks on half tons) you cannot legally exceed the GAWR on either axle of the truck or the GVWR of the entire truck. That said I am pretty sure if you were to challenge the BC rule you could win on a couple counts...
1. that "law" has been around forever, and have you looked at the GAWR of some "1/2tons" lately?
2. two sleds is not necessarily two sleds.... Do 2 Rev XP's weigh the same as two Mountain RXTons?
Check your weights, add the airbags and be sure to leave a good margin of safety, considering that we all drive on some pretty brutal winter roads, and happy travels!

Last edited:
J
Dec 30, 2007
for whatever it's worth two of my friends run decks on GMC 1/2 tonnes with airbags. Been doing this about the last 6 years, have been through MOT safety blitzes no problem. Just have the "F150" lettering removed and happy sailing.

M
Jan 18, 2008
Ibdoo'n is dead on!--When you get in trouble in Canada the GVW posted/plus legal tires, is the only thing inspectors/cops go by.---I drive a 1-ton crew-cab diesel 4 x 4!
--with 2 sleds/gas/1 buddy/gear, I am on the bubble for payload!---remember if you are overweight and in an accident,your insurance may be void!!
-funny story,I stopped at the scales (B.C.) at the Crowsnest to check my weight. After weighing,the officers asked why I stopped with such a big truck?--As one of them had a 1/2 ton with 2 sleds parked with 2 sleds,I told them I did not think they were legal??--They went and checked and they were 900 pounds over!!---One week later, I drove by and the deck was off and only 1 sled in the back!!

0neoldfart

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Thorsby, Alberta
Payload

Bear in mind that when the manufacturer lists payload capacity - the key phrase is "when properly equipped" The manufacturer's payload capacity is a base truck with the smallest engine, no A/C, no gas, etc, etc. Weigh the truck, and subtract that weight from the GVWR sticker on the door. The resulting number is what you can LEGALLY carry.

Premium Features