• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

>>Ski-Doo 850 Summit-X: First Ride Impressions

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
T motion takes some getting used too for sure. Now that I am totally comfortable with it I would not want to be without it. But totally get why you have issues , the first few rides I felt it to be unpredictable as well. At the end it was just me not having enough seat time to use it to its potential.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Some what you are calling unpredictable might be why I enjoyed it so much.
The sled is the polar opposite of my Yamahas that we're utterly predictable in everything they did.

With time I suspect the 850 will become more predictable though as I learn just how it responds to input and challenges

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Installed the little Ergo Seat Bag on the sled last night.
Bit by bit the game has begun!
http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=421057

picture.php

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Sleds are loaded up in the trailer and ready for a full day of riding tomorrow.

Looks like we have twice the amount of snow as last weekend!

Can't wait to take these babies out for their second rip!!

C
Nov 29, 2008
picture.php

Let me start off this review by saying,
After 8 years riding Yamahas, I finally understand.

But before I begin, I want to add one other comment.
You guys all owe me an apology.

REAL FRIENDS would never have let me keep on riding my Yamahas all those years.

Wow ... change of heart ... good to see that you now understand ... might want to soften some of the posts in the old Nytro section where people bailed for 2 strokes... hah hahha
Have tried the 850 yet (hope to) - but much happier on the pro's than the nytro ... night & day ... have fun not getting beat to a snot from the sled for a change ...
Don't worry about match colours brand for the suit - still wear blue / black / whatever is warm & dry .... (still laugh at the guys who buy a new sled then have to change their "wardrobe").
look forward to reading the write-ups ... pissing rain here yet ...

Last edited:
A
Nov 27, 2007
Alaska
Chris,
I had a similar experience as you did 4 years ago. I switched over to Yamaha in late '05 and loved the 4-stroke engine and had reasoned the weight away in my mind at "only" being 60 odd pounds heavier that my 2 stroke sled. But after getting stuck several times I noticed over the next couple winters I was not venturing into areas I used to play in because it didn't want to risk getting stuck if the snow wasn't set up. Then I bought a Nytro. I could never get it to handle, still super heavy and even heavier when the exhaust created all the ice in the tunnel. I stuck with it for 4 years before switching back to a 2 stroke and "Wow" what a difference! I could actually pick it up without practicing Lamaze breathing before the big lift. The front end felt a 1000lbs lighter and the sled felt like a toy. So easy to throw around! I felt like I'd wasted six seasons of my life riding Yamahas, always waiting and hoping they'd come out with the game changing sled or changes that I could upgrade mine to. Now I look at the direction they've gone with an even heavier, more complicated and expensive sled with the Sidewinder and I can see they don't have a clue. They chose poorly going all 4-strokes back in '05 and their pathetic market share reflects that bad decision.

Glad you like your new 850's. Yours is the forum first review I've read about them. Thanks.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Took the sleds out for their second break in ride yesterday in Island Park again.
<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/o7eBP20I8-I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
It may sound like I am being entirely over enthusiastic, but DAMN.
The more I ride this sled the more I freaking LOVE IT.

As most of you guys know one of my goals is take other people riding with me each weekend, preferably those that have NEVER been on a sled, but other friends and neighbors will work in a pinch. I just like to vary my riding group.

This weekend I had two long time riding buddies along to take the 850s out for a spin and get comments. One was a CAT lover and the other a DOO owner.

Both of them gave the exact same comment.
The 850 is SOOO responsive

I have asked both of them to jump in on this thread and post their own comments, hopefully they will shortly.

And here is a video that you just don't get to see enough of in our sport.
This is my 17yr old son on his 2nd day of riding.
No big jumps, no awesome stunts. Nothing special at all.
But.
This is the future of our sport, this is someone NEW falling in love with sledding.

If we want to keep this sport alive, we MUST keep bringing new riders into it!

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ssAlehraDYM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Another comment I wanted to add.
With two days on this sled, I am growing more and more convinced that I really DO want the optional
Ergo Adjustable Toe-Holds
$ 229.99

Die-cast aluminum part. Allow user to adjust toe-hold position for different riding styles and control. Foldable to ease floorboard access. Adjustable 3" (7.6 cm) rearward and 1.5" (3.8 cm) upward. Forward/backward & top/down adjustments.

cq5dam.web.1024.1024.jpeg

I find myself FREQUENTLY wanting to brace my toes against something as I go to stand up or manuver left or right when my feet are in the forward position. Sometimes even just going down the trail quickly I find myself looking for that little extra bit of security that the toe holds offer your boot to keep you more attached to the sled.

2Huskies

Lifetime Membership
Jul 19, 2009
Rigby, Idaho
I will add my thoughts to this sled as well as I completed my second ride with Christopher that day.

1. I am able to go places in this sled I never would have thought to go before. I could see a whole in the trees and I would motion for my buddy to follow and we would just go play. I had more rider confidence in riding this sled twice than I had in riding my Boosted Nytro after 3 years with it.

2. I was able to go downhill, pull the sled on its side and reverse right back up like it was nothing. I could move through trees at an absolute whim.

3. After allowing the cat rider to ride the sled his number 1 comment was the throttle response. He said it was the most responsive sled he had ever been on and that he couldnt get over how quick and responsive the sled was.

4. I second the toe holds completely. When we are on the trail taking corners, sidehillling, or really anything much more than cruising i feel like my feet are slipping around far more than I am comfortable with.

5. Overall very happy with my purchase and I cant wait for Togwotee this weekend!

M

mtn mike on boost

Nov 26, 2007
Woodinville,WA
Another comment I wanted to add.
With two days on this sled, I am growing more and more convinced that I really DO want the optional
Ergo Adjustable Toe-Holds
$ 229.99

Die-cast aluminum part. Allow user to adjust toe-hold position for different riding styles and control. Foldable to ease floorboard access. Adjustable 3" (7.6 cm) rearward and 1.5" (3.8 cm) upward. Forward/backward & top/down adjustments.

cq5dam.web.1024.1024.jpeg

I find myself FREQUENTLY wanting to brace my toes against something as I go to stand up or manuver left or right when my feet are in the forward position. Sometimes even just going down the trail quickly I find myself looking for that little extra bit of security that the toe holds offer your boot to keep you more attached to the sled.

keep in mind, they maybe adjustable, but may still not be where you want em. that was my experience. figure ill go at least 5 rides w/o anything and see if I can adapt

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
keep in mind, they maybe adjustable, but may still not be where you want em. that was my experience. figure ill go at least 5 rides w/o anything and see if I can adapt
I find my feet are just moving around more freely than I want them to.
I will spend 3 more days on the sled before I make up my mind.
But right now I am leaning in that direction.

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
I will add my thoughts to this sled as well as I completed my second ride with Christopher that day.

1. I am able to go places in this sled I never would have thought to go before. I could see a whole in the trees and I would motion for my buddy to follow and we would just go play. I had more rider confidence in riding this sled twice than I had in riding my Boosted Nytro after 3 years with it.

2. I was able to go downhill, pull the sled on its side and reverse right back up like it was nothing. I could move through trees at an absolute whim.

3. After allowing the cat rider to ride the sled his number 1 comment was the throttle response. He said it was the most responsive sled he had ever been on and that he couldnt get over how quick and responsive the sled was.

4. I second the toe holds completely. When we are on the trail taking corners, sidehillling, or really anything much more than cruising i feel like my feet are slipping around far more than I am comfortable with.

5. Overall very happy with my purchase and I cant wait for Togwotee this weekend!
Puts a smile on my face reading you and your dads posts!! I rode with you and your dad at the snowest mag party in West (I was on a red and white pro). You took my wife (Yoyo) and I to the cook your own steak place and we had a blast! We still refer to you as the Monkey Man...you had the monkey strapped to your sled...funny! I am stoked you have a renewed joy for the sport, didn't want to lose a young stud from the sport...we need you guys. I hope you make the forum ride, we will be there and hope to high five the new two smoke family Cheers from Rich and Yoyo

Premium Features