• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

>>Ski-Doo 850 Summit-X: First Ride Impressions

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Got out on my 850 for the first time today, just road riding with my daughter but still fun. She loves how easily it wheelies..lol. I'll have a better review when I can get out on my own.
Speaking of WHEELIES.
Oh ya, she is VERY HAPPY to stand up isn't she!!:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap

mtncat1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
south jordan ut.
i guess that those vipers weren't as light as they said they were when the yamaha and cat marketing guys hung a bunch of sleds from a tree and claimed they were all within pounds of each other , i found out years ago with my zrt 1080 no amount of lightening could hide the extra engine weight .

N
Nov 26, 2007
Chinook Pass, Wa
Speaking of WHEELIES.
Oh ya, she is VERY HAPPY to stand up isn't she!!:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap

To follow up a little on my review: overall I like the sled, it carves and sidehills effortlessly, which I expected having been on an XM the last few seasons. The motor feels strong, but the clutching does need some work. I feel like this motor needs to be loaded harder (that may or may not help with the clutch heat). Hoping some of clutch guys get some seat time and come up with something. That being said, the sled pulls hard and the track hooks up good, but I feel like there is more to be had. I'm going to have to do some suspension adjusting to keep the skis a little lower to the snow and limit the transfer a bit, but other than that, I can't wait to get into some deep powder to really try it out.

O
Nov 28, 2016
Nice to read you jumped ship .... I will conquer with you the 850 is a blast to ride ... The entire powerband is very responsive with excellent low end and midrange torque resulting in very impressive power to the ground .... Right out of the box the 850 rips imho.

Best upgrade for $100 - 2 rear torsion suspension springs if your over 250#

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
AMEN TO THAT BROTHER!!

While I am anything BUT an expert on 2 strokes, I am willing to bet this new 850 is going to force Polaris and Arctic Cat to up their power output to stay competitive. And there IS plenty of power left in those other engines, but I suspect this will be a game of one upmanship.

Just as soon as there is enough snow, I will get my friends who are riding Axys to come out for the weekend so we can get some real HEAD TO HEAD comparisons.

Careful now Chris- that's a tall order / LOL - That Mountain cat will sneak up on ya pretty easy... and the Axys is no slouch - a bit more "flickable" - I know you have a good Head to Head
Ha ha .. such a competitive sport.....

Anyway to my point-

EXCELLENT posting, and what a follow up by your sons!
As we discussed earlier I am in almost the same boat with physical issues with my older son also...
Nothing ABSOLUTELY nothing beats a day in the powder with your best riding partners ... your sons!!!! After 35+years of riding sleds - I would not have it any other way!!!!:face-icon-small-hap

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Careful now Chris- that's a tall order / LOL - That Mountain cat will sneak up on ya pretty easy... and the Axys is no slouch - a bit more "flickable" - I know you have a good Head to Head
Ha ha .. such a competitive sport.....

Anyway to my point-

EXCELLENT posting, and what a follow up by your sons!
As we discussed earlier I am in almost the same boat with physical issues with my older son also...
Nothing ABSOLUTELY nothing beats a day in the powder with your best riding partners ... your sons!!!! After 35+years of riding sleds - I would not have it any other way!!!!:face-icon-small-hap

Right there with ya.
There is something very cool about being able to spend the day on the mountain with your own boys.

As for the head to head.
You KNOW this is going to be FUN!!

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
AMEN TO THAT BROTHER!!

While I am anything BUT an expert on 2 strokes, I am willing to bet this new 850 is going to force Polaris and Arctic Cat to up their power output to stay competitive. And there IS plenty of power left in those other engines, but I suspect this will be a game of one upmanship.

Just as soon as there is enough snow, I will get my friends who are riding Axys to come out for the weekend so we can get some real HEAD TO HEAD comparisons.

All good for us mountain riders, personally handling is much more
Important to me than more power. My AXYS currently has the capability to put me where my 60yr old body has no business being.
The current crop of mountain sleds are absolutely amazing and will take us wherever our riding abilities will allow us to go.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
All good for us mountain riders, personally handling is much more
Important to me than more power. My AXYS currently has the capability to put me where my 60yr old body has no business being.
The current crop of mountain sleds are absolutely amazing and will take us wherever our riding abilities will allow us to go.

Agreed on all points.
The sleds are now FAR more capable than most of the riders are!

But I admit, I do LOVE the power..

Calvin42

Premium Member
Oct 14, 2008
Cantonment, FL
Great review Christopher! Sounds like you've raised a couple of awesome boys as well! Can't wait to get my new 850 out and compare it to my AXYS. Have had Polaris now for some time and have been very happy with them. Last year was a serious game changer with the AXYS and am anxious to put the Doo and Poo head to head. I, like a lot of riders have always hoped Yamaha could be more competitive in the mountain segment regarding weight, but they're just not there yet. They build a great quality sled, but as I've said in other posts, and have adamantly disagreed with you regarding the weight issue, they have a way to go. Am so glad to hear this is such a passion for you and your boys. I know in the forty three plus years of riding, I can't ever imagine giving it up. Looking forward to your future reviews. Until then, take a deep breath of the two stroke smoke, it's kind of addicting.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Great review Christopher! Sounds like you've raised a couple of awesome boys as well! Can't wait to get my new 850 out and compare it to my AXYS. Have had Polaris now for some time and have been very happy with them. Last year was a serious game changer with the AXYS and am anxious to put the Doo and Poo head to head. I, like a lot of riders have always hoped Yamaha could be more competitive in the mountain segment regarding weight, but they're just not there yet. They build a great quality sled, but as I've said in other posts, and have adamantly disagreed with you regarding the weight issue, they have a way to go. Am so glad to hear this is such a passion for you and your boys. I know in the forty three plus years of riding, I can't ever imagine giving it up. Looking forward to your future reviews. Until then, take a deep breath of the two stroke smoke, it's kind of addicting.

Ya.
About all that SMOKE in my trailer and garage.
Man, I DO HOPE that after the breakin period is over with that VOLUME of smoke coming out of those sleds drops down.

Dang man, I can't start them in my garage unless I am willing to SMOKE out the whole garage! I need some kind of a smoke evacuation system just to start them and drive them out of the garage and into the trailer.

hqdefault.jpg

2Huskies

Lifetime Membership
Jul 19, 2009
Rigby, Idaho
Ya.
About all that SMOKE in my trailer and garage.
Man, I DO HOPE that after the breakin period is over with that VOLUME of smoke coming out of those sleds drops down.

Dang man, I can't start them in my garage unless I am willing to SMOKE out the whole garage! I need some kind of a smoke evacuation system just to start them and drive them out of the garage and into the trailer.

hqdefault.jpg

He wont allow me to even start the sleds in the garage. I have to back them up till the exhaust is even with the garage door and then I can turn them on.

lol

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
just run klotz oil and you will enjoy the smoke

That is EXACTLY what Steve Janes told me at the SnoShow in Boise.
Then in the very next breath he said that was probably NOT the best oil for the 850.

I think i will just try the Candle in the Garage

klotz%20candle-600x600.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Hope they get lots more, they need it. Only 2-3 inches up 2 weekends ago now, this past weekend I don't think it added up much. But yesterday possibly
I think I saw that Jackson got 18 inches out of that storm.
Winter is here now and the snow is falling and finally starting to pile up.
It will be a good season, just slow and let to get started.
We have a cabin rented in Tog in 2 weeks for the 1st of three different events there this winter.:face-icon-small-hap

Premium Features