• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

>>Ski-Doo 850 Summit-X: First Ride Impressions

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Puts a smile on my face reading you and your dads posts!! I rode with you and your dad at the snowest mag party in West (I was on a red and white pro). You took my wife (Yoyo) and I to the cook your own steak place and we had a blast! We still refer to you as the Monkey Man...you had the monkey strapped to your sled...funny! I am stoked you have a renewed joy for the sport, didn't want to lose a young stud from the sport...we need you guys. I hope you make the forum ride, we will be there and hope to high five the new two smoke family Cheers from Rich and Yoyo

I remember you!:face-icon-small-hap
So your coming out for the Forum Ride at Togwotee?

My Son and I are headed there Thursday night for 3 days of EARLY season riding!

Eino's Bar and Grill, which became Hi Country Tavern and Grill.
Which I am told is now Closed.

steak.jpg

Rotax_Kid

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Regina, SK
Another comment I wanted to add.
With two days on this sled, I am growing more and more convinced that I really DO want the optional
Ergo Adjustable Toe-Holds
$ 229.99

Die-cast aluminum part. Allow user to adjust toe-hold position for different riding styles and control. Foldable to ease floorboard access. Adjustable 3" (7.6 cm) rearward and 1.5" (3.8 cm) upward. Forward/backward & top/down adjustments.

cq5dam.web.1024.1024.jpeg

I find myself FREQUENTLY wanting to brace my toes against something as I go to stand up or manuver left or right when my feet are in the forward position. Sometimes even just going down the trail quickly I find myself looking for that little extra bit of security that the toe holds offer your boot to keep you more attached to the sled.

I'm going to give mine a shot without it. I have big feet but my main reason is over the past year I've never seen so many people get feet caught in footwells and tear knees. Put some thought into that before you lock your feet in there.

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
I remember you!:face-icon-small-hap
So your coming out for the Forum Ride at Togwotee?

My Son and I are headed there Thursday night for 3 days of EARLY season riding!

Eino's Bar and Grill, which became Hi Country Tavern and Grill.
Which I am told is now Closed.
Yes we are coming to the forum ride, will be lots of fun to participate. Have a blast at Tog with your sons! We really appreciated your hospitality at West and the riding you showed us was really good too! Cheers

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
I'm going to give mine a shot without it. I have big feet but my main reason is over the past year I've never seen so many people get feet caught in footwells and tear knees. Put some thought into that before you lock your feet in there.
I am contemplating a few traction screws around the inboard side along the chain case and brake assembly, that is where there is a lack of traction , but will not go to toeholds -- I am with you there. Pulled one to many guys of there sled with messed up knees. My better halve too-- thought she had broken here leg. Never seen a knee buckled over backwards that bad without braking, she was caught hanging face down leg twisted 180 degrees of camber in 4 feet of pow and could not free herself until I got to here and pulled here up.

Last edited:

Rotax_Kid

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Regina, SK
I am contemplating a few traction screws around the inboard side along the chain case and brake assembly, that is where there is a lack of traction , but will not go to toeholds -- I am with you there. Pulled one to many guys of there sled with messed up knees. My better halve too-- thought she had broken here leg. Never seen a knee buckled over backwards that bad without braking, she was caught hanging face down leg twisted 180 degrees of camber in 4 feet of pow and could not free herself until I got to here and pulled here up.

I've got a template made for my vents on the side panels ready to go to the 3D printer. I've been debating on what I can fab in the footwell area and print out of nylon that won't get too pocketed with snow. I sound like a real downer, but between seeing the knee issues, and having a 2" stump come through the footwell hole a few years back on a XP, I'm real hesitant to cut too much more out of there.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
If you can print a traction piece in a L shape that goes around the brake assembly on the one side and the chain case on the other that would screw or rivet right on the slick sheetmetal areas around there that would be all that is needed.

Andystoy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2016
Ski-Doo 850 Summit-X: First Ride Impressions

Mid windshield on 850, rolled over once no damage or problems.

No decision on toe holds yet, because I didn't need to use them at all on the whooped out trail, I used to use the toe hold area on the XM to lean into corners on a well groomed trail but don't use them when riding off trail as I tend to stand back a bit on the boards.

I did notice that there was no engine braking when off the throttle and running down hill; this was different than the XM where coming down steep sections I liked the engine braking only touching the brake occasionally. So far so good.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Mid windshield on 850, rolled over once no damage or problems.

No decision on toe holds yet, because I didn't need to use them at all on the whooped out trail, I used to use the toe hold area on the XM to lean into corners on a well groomed trail but don't use them when riding off trail as I tend to stand back a bit on the boards.

I did notice that there was no engine braking when off the throttle and running down hill; this was different than the XM where coming down steep sections I liked the engine braking only touching the brake occasionally. So far so good.

Same here, only more profoundly so coming off the Yamahas.
This sled knows how to COAST!!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Things we have noticed on this mornings ride.

Today was the first time we have found anything approaching real snow and in a few places we found a few feet to play in. One of the biggest things all three of us have noticed is the increase in confidence to go poke around in the trees and "ify" spots that we generally avoided on the Yamahas.

First opportunity to Sidehill and this sled is a joy to lean over and hold a line!

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
Things we have noticed on this mornings ride.

Today was the first time we have found anything approaching real snow and in a few places we found a few feet to play in. One of the biggest things all three of us have noticed is the increase in confidence to go poke around in the trees and "ify" spots that we generally avoided on the Yamahas.

First opportunity to Sidehill and this sled is a joy to lean over and hold a line!

AND, your new found poking around abilities are after very limited time on your new doo's. You will find your newfound exploration abilities SO MUCH FUN!!!!
Cheers and Thank you for taking the time to post tons of useful information.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Make no mistake about it, we are honestly LOVING this new sled. I have no reservations about endorsing it nor any regrets over purchasing them at all. PRAYING that we get a few inches of fresh snow tonight and wake up to another good day to go out and tear up the mountainside with these bad boys.

Even with the carnage of having found that buried rock, the sled was remarkably easy to repair and have ready to keep right on riding.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
We had full on deep riding today in places. The 850 is a HUGE step above the XM. I was riding my 154, it amazed me.
The summer before 2015-2016 season year I was dirtbiking, in decent shape before the season. Cardio was good, strength was ok. I put on 2700 miles last year.
Last summer I rode a dirtbike twice, watercraft a few times. CRAPPY shape. All I did all summer was 12oz curls. I was not looking forward to this season.
I am a better rider now in crappy shape than I was last year on an XM after 2700 miles.
I cannot believe what I am able to do on this thing. It does the Doo trench, skis in the air, but I love it. I can wheelie over stuff, it is snappy as hell. I was able to do a quick 360 on a steep sidehill today, no stuck, it just surprised the heck out of me.
The biggest reason that I love this sled: Confidence.
I had ZERO confidence on my 16 sleds last year. For 2700 miles. Part of it was setup. I figured a few things out. But when you are thinking and worrying about things and things don't feel "right" you don't have fun. From start to finish today, I was confident. In crappy shape. Jumping off stuff that wasn't really safe but feeling great about it. In somewhat sketchy conditions.
If you like the XM, you will love this sled.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Another quick rip this morning, same impressions. Feels like a dirt bike, jumping off stuff. Love it. Some of the snap is a little less, after 180 miles should probably check the belt deflection. :)

Premium Features