• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Rode the boondocker pump gas turbo pro climb m8

D

dmkhnr

Nov 26, 2007
NV
Let me ride your sled, I bet I can make it bog going down hill in 3-4ft of powder. I have found that to be true with every sled I have ever rode.

The owner of the sled says, "My sled never bogs!" I take it for a rip and... guess what? It bogs just like any other sled.

When you turn the sled upsidedown and go down hill in 3-4ft it bogs!

Turn upsidedown and go down hill in 3-4' of powder, for slowing down or stopping to help a stuck friend? Yah, I get that!! The only reason it would bog under this situation is air starvation, and my solution, a cold air intake that stares you right in the face!
Anybody can manipulate a bog on a mod sled (pump the throttle a few times while cruising down the road and then slowly roll it through the mid range and your likely to get a loaded fuel bog.
This is 2011/2012 and the turbo builders have them pretty well figured out. If your rideablity is suffering from a bog than you have a piss poor setup or something is wrong.

Back on track with the guy who got to ride the proclimb turbo M8, as that is what we really want to hear about. I'd also like to know if the poo pro turbos had the new intercooler setup, did the proclimb M8 have an intercooler?

P
Feb 28, 2008
Castlegar BC
pretty sure there was no intercooler in the pro climb, however the new hood design keeps everything under there pretty well hidden, so i guess i can't say for sure. but being that it was the pump gas kit, i tend to think that there wouldn't be one.

can't comment on the pro rmk. didn't get close enough to it. but i know the other guys did...

smokindave

Canada Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Calgary Alberta
pretty sure there was no intercooler in the pro climb, however the new hood design keeps everything under there pretty well hidden, so i guess i can't say for sure. but being that it was the pump gas kit, i tend to think that there wouldn't be one.

can't comment on the pro rmk. didn't get close enough to it. but i know the other guys did...

No it didn't have a intercooler,only the race gas sled had one.

A

ACMtnCat

Nov 26, 2007
Utah
I totally agree! I like being able to pop the cap and look at the level of gas left, never rely on the oldschool gas gauge. So was the fuel level gauge in the cap or was it on the dash LCD?

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
The pro climb comes apart easy I can tell you that, I think 4 bolts removes all the plastic and tank making it fairly easy to access the engine. One thing is for sure, after loosing the air intake and muffler it should offset the weight of a turbo. I plan on loosing the whole hood after seeing one from all sides, but will prob reinstall the gauges and some kind of light. The snow flap has no room to grab the rear bumper, I take them off any way but this new one is a joke. Pretty sure the front bumper will get upgraded before production. The skis, don't even bother. Looking forward to starting with half a sled next season. lol

The motor looks like it can't move much, ie real motor mounts, huge plus after having a m1000.

Last edited:
D

dmkhnr

Nov 26, 2007
NV
That video is the first time that I have looked at that sled and thought that it was narrow. I've said it before and am convinced that the M8 will be the flagship of the new AC's. A few lightweight parts and a turbo will be alot less $$$-wise Vs trying to make the M1100 lighter and more powerful.

K

knifedge

Dec 20, 2009
Colorado
--The motor does not move much because it is hardmounted to the TorqueLink and Secondary clutch. The motor mounts do not see any torque in this configuration. If it does move, both clutches move with it. It is a great setup. Belts should last quite a while with proper clutching.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
--The motor does not move much because it is hardmounted to the TorqueLink and Secondary clutch. The motor mounts do not see any torque in this configuration. If it does move, both clutches move with it. It is a great setup. Belts should last quite a while with proper clutching.

That mount isn't the only one that matters, if the right side mount isn't as good the clutch may not move backward but it could twist the motor, I had this problem on my m1000-- pto side solid, mag side weak and would jump forward twisting the clutches out of alignment.
I didn't get to see the 2 stroke but on the 4 stroke the motor mount on the right side is just as solid, very nice. unless it cracks out the bulk head

phatty

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2007
Salt Lake City
www.boondockers.ca
That mount isn't the only one that matters, if the right side mount isn't as good the clutch may not move backward but it could twist the motor, I had this problem on my m1000-- pto side solid, mag side weak and would jump forward twisting the clutches out of alignment.
I didn't get to see the 2 stroke but on the 4 stroke the motor mount on the right side is just as solid, very nice. unless it cracks out the bulk head

dont think it will be an issue. but it sure adds vibration.

im more concerned about the wheel bearings on the skid... be afraid... be very afraid...

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
dont think it will be an issue. but it sure adds vibration.

im more concerned about the wheel bearings on the skid... be afraid... be very afraid...

I don't think the 4 strokes have near the vibration factor, the only bearings that matter are the two rear (the rest come off), are those the ones to worry about. I also have some grease that eliminates wear so unless they just fall apart now worries, even at that its pretty easy to build a better one.

phatty

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2007
Salt Lake City
www.boondockers.ca
I don't think the 4 strokes have near the vibration factor, the only bearings that matter are the two rear (the rest come off), are those the ones to worry about. I also have some grease that eliminates wear so unless they just fall apart now worries, even at that its pretty easy to build a better one.

ive ridden these sleds 3 times and blown out bearings on the skid: 3 times.
Hopefully the supplier was fired and a new one is found for the production models. You should see the pile of wheels with bad bearings at the R&D center...

The problem is the bearings are not changable. No snap ring holding them in, so when they go, the destroy the entire plastic wheel and there is no fixing it. YOUR F-D. You have to swap out the entire rear axel... Really piss poor design IMO.

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
Oh boy.

My dealer will have to stock 100's of rear wheel assembly's to keep all us loyal Cat sledders sledding if they blow out every ride.

LOL.

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
What is the deal with bearings these days?

I had a 99' summit X that I sold this spring. Never, in 12 years of riding this sled did I go through a bearing in any of the skid wheels.

Are the bearing manufacturers getting cheap on us or what?

Seems like this basic technology should be getting better not worse.........

What gives?

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Would aftermarket rear billet wheels that are removeable from the axel with better bearings help, or is there some other issues causing these rear skid bearing failures?

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Would aftermarket rear billet wheels that are removeable from the axel with better bearings help, or is there some other issues causing these rear skid bearing failures?

I would say its a combo of things, Just put the old style in after the first ones go, they are proven.

Premium Features