• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Rode the boondocker pump gas turbo pro climb m8

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
now that's another ballpark all together! at those track speeds in that snow, and i'm gonna start agreeing. but turn it at NA m8 and m7 track speeds and the performance falls off quick in comparison.

I find it to be the other way around, less power and it works better in some ways, suspension setup is key. But it also loves to launch out of holes under boost where the CE likes to dig deeper.

As far as being a game changer compared to the current m8, a better suspension would help a bunch when sidehilling the steep and crossing tree wells, humps and bumps its huge, just a revalve on the old ones made a huge difference. referring to the way I ride anyway, so if it is different (which it is) something will change better or worse.

A

ACMtnCat

Nov 26, 2007
Utah
My brother checked a HCR T1100, so I'll get to ride that early next winter. I'll be putting a new CE on my old TM8 and see how it compares to the PC and ride it till the ProClimbs get the kinks worked out. Then if I can't do without a ProClimb, I can snag a used one for cheap and put the track of choice on it and have a super sled!

My CPC TM8 is just too much fun to toss it aside for the first new philly that comes along look'n all purty!

Last edited:
Reactions: wasatchcomm

smokindave

Canada Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Calgary Alberta
On the far right...Dave Knight? Dan Adams to his left?
attachment.php

Correct...and Dan Davidoff with the shaved head with what looks like fangs on the back.

Castlegar ride 2011 012.jpg

Last edited:
A

ACMtnCat

Nov 26, 2007
Utah
Just curious... whats the point of this pic... am i missing something?
It's to show how Dan Adams' backpack is a accident waiting to happen! His shovel handle and probe are sticking out of his pack like two long grapling hooks waiting to hook on any tree he passes and rip him off his sled!

That is one of the first things a person learns in any Avy class. DO NOT HAVE THINGS STICKING OUT OF YOUR PACK LIKE THAT! SUPER DANGEROUS! AND A HORRIBLE PACK DESIGN!

Last edited:
P
Feb 28, 2008
Castlegar BC
hey turbo guys, here's a question for you...

when riding the boosted sleds downhill at idle, and after sitting at idle for a bit, there was a bit of a bog to get through before being able to get on the power again. i mentioned it to the boondocker guy (still don't know his name), and he knew about the problem, but said that he could probably spend some time and tune it out (kit had only been on the pro climb for something like 8 days up till that point). but i think i remember the same problem, only not as bad, on the '11 race gas kit. is this a common trait of a boosted 2 stroke? or just the boondocker kits? or is this just a tuning issue? if it's something that you just live with, are you able to just change throttle techniques to compensate for it? i remember a friend mentioning that his race gas kit was loading up down low, earlier in the season, so thats what i thought of when i noticed it on these sleds.

i could see it being a problem if a guy was rolling up slow to the edge of a cornice drop, or if you needed to get the nose up quick to get over a hole or something...

A

ACMtnCat

Nov 26, 2007
Utah
My sled has this loading up a bit. I changed my throttle technique as you mentioned, but I was doing the same thing when I had my twin pipes. So I've been using that technique for 4 years and I'm so use to it now that it's just how I ride now. As far as your cornice drop scenario, I power brake or hit the brake and gas it at the same time a second before dropping it. Down hill loading up is a non-issue most of the time. I pop the throttle allot as I go down hill. When I'm looking to do a down hill turn back up hill I tap the brake as I start to give it gas, step back one step on the boards to make the rear end slide down and give it gas hard and be ready for it to whip up hill! With turbo you better be ready to hop to the other side fast! Like Chris Burandts hop move or you get caught on the down hill side and down you go!

Last edited:
P
Feb 28, 2008
Castlegar BC
yeah, i kinda figured it could be something you could anticipate and avoid if you were familiar with when and how to blip the throttle at the right times.

your description of using the brake to spool the turbo is great! it reminds me of a particular grand touring car race i was watching on tv once, where they had an onboard camera with one of the drivers behind the wheel of a v6 turbo audi... during a caution lap he was describing how he would have to ride the brakes and step on the gas before the flag dropped again, so that the turbos would already be making full boost, thus enabling him to keep up with the torque of the v8's on the rolling start. very cool.

phatty

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2007
Salt Lake City
www.boondockers.ca
hey turbo guys, here's a question for you...

when riding the boosted sleds downhill at idle, and after sitting at idle for a bit, there was a bit of a bog to get through before being able to get on the power again. i mentioned it to the boondocker guy (still don't know his name), and he knew about the problem, but said that he could probably spend some time and tune it out (kit had only been on the pro climb for something like 8 days up till that point). but i think i remember the same problem, only not as bad, on the '11 race gas kit. is this a common trait of a boosted 2 stroke? or just the boondocker kits? or is this just a tuning issue? if it's something that you just live with, are you able to just change throttle techniques to compensate for it? i remember a friend mentioning that his race gas kit was loading up down low, earlier in the season, so thats what i thought of when i noticed it on these sleds.

i could see it being a problem if a guy was rolling up slow to the edge of a cornice drop, or if you needed to get the nose up quick to get over a hole or something...

after spending a season on boost (2011 pump gas m8) i can tell you that this is the ONLY flaw with boost. I found it to be even worse on the pro rmk on boost. (yes i have one of each :face-icon-small-blu) The good news is you learn how to ride with it, teaches you to keep the belt engaged heading down steep hills. No its not a problem rolling into cornice drops or other cliffs or whatever (see Boondockers 8 due out August for proof)

I think the pro climb is going to silence alot of critics this year. A few kinks to work out from pre production models, but this sled has it all.
Someone mentioned the wide balance point range on the pro climb and how stable it felt on its side. Thats one of the first things i noticed, its so forgiving with the wide range it will balance. Should help sissy sidehillers get into new territory.

There was also mention of the footwells going to deep. I agree, I felt my feet went too far forward, and i plan to put some sort of brace there to prevent that.

The suspension is freaking amazing. throw the nastiest bumps at it and it just soaks them up and asks for more!

L
Jun 8, 2011
after spending a season on boost (2011 pump gas m8) i can tell you that this is the ONLY flaw with boost. I found it to be even worse on the pro rmk on boost. (yes i have one of each :face-icon-small-blu) The good news is you learn how to ride with it, teaches you to keep the belt engaged heading down steep hills. No its not a problem rolling into cornice drops or other cliffs or whatever (see Boondockers 8 due out August for proof)

I think the pro climb is going to silence alot of critics this year. A few kinks to work out from pre production models, but this sled has it all.
Someone mentioned the wide balance point range on the pro climb and how stable it felt on its side. Thats one of the first things i noticed, its so forgiving with the wide range it will balance. Should help sissy sidehillers get into new territory.

There was also mention of the footwells going to deep. I agree, I felt my feet went too far forward, and i plan to put some sort of brace there to prevent that.

The suspension is freaking amazing. throw the nastiest bumps at it and it just soaks them up and asks for more!

did you get a chance to ride it in some decent snow???? cause i was in spring death, and it still did well....curious to hear from someone whos rode this SOB on the deep!!!!! i loved it thats for sure.....

D

dmkhnr

Nov 26, 2007
NV
Did those pro rmk's have boondockers new intercooler setup?
My buddy and myself both have the pro turbo, and have no bog or load up like spoken about above, I too immediately thought too much oil, but could be too much helix down low as-well. Whatever it is, you should be able to tune something like that out.

A

ACMtnCat

Nov 26, 2007
Utah
Did those pro rmk's have boondockers new intercooler setup?
My buddy and myself both have the pro turbo, and have no bog or load up like spoken about above, I too immediately thought too much oil, but could be too much helix down low as-well. Whatever it is, you should be able to tune something like that out.

Let me ride your sled, I bet I can make it bog going down hill in 3-4ft of powder. I have found that to be true with every sled I have ever rode.

The owner of the sled says, "My sled never bogs!" I take it for a rip and... guess what? It bogs just like any other sled.

When you turn the sled upsidedown and go down hill in 3-4ft it bogs!

Last edited:
Reactions: wasatchcomm
Premium Features