• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Rode the boondocker pump gas turbo pro climb m8

P
Feb 28, 2008
Castlegar BC
june 17 18 and 19, boondocker had a bunch of sleds here on the mountain for demo rides. still lots of snow up high, but unfortunately not the ideal conditions for testing out a sled. still lots of fun though.

as for the pro climb chassis,

the things i liked about it were:

-very comfortable stand up riding position. i've never stood on a sled that fit so perfectly. (still not 100% perfect, but really damn nice. i'll get back to that later) i even liked the feel of the bars, and their exact position ( i'm very particular about bar position and shape, so this shocked me ). and the tapered tunnel cleared the insides of my boots nicely. when i first rode the pro rmk, i liked the riding position too, but the bars didn't feel nearly as nice.

-the footwells are a nice depth compared to the toe smashers in the m sleds up till now. hopefully they don't fill up with snow too badly in the deep pow.

-i like the starter cord handle placement. great for righties or lefties, and you will never hit it with your knee by accident. nice clean look as well.

-the spindles are not nearly as obnoxious in person compared to what i thought of them in pictures. maybe i'm just used to them by now after seeing so many pics, but i really didn't even notice them while looking over the sled.

-the steering is much lighter than the previous m's.

-the skid/chassis combo soaks up the bumps extremely well, and this is coming from a guy with an ez-ryde under his sled. i swore that this sled had a 162 under it by the way it kept the front end from bucking, despite the whoops in the hills and the turbo, but it was in fact a 153. impressive.

-nice view of the gauges!

the things that put me off a little about the pro climb:

-first off is the power claw track. any of you that know my opinion about this track know that i don't like it. and i don't think that the pro climb makes it any better, but in fact i think the power claw makes the pro climb worse than it could be. well actually, the fact that it absolutely cannot hook up could be part of the reason that the front end stays so flat all the time. i know that was the case with my M. but i would be willing to bet that this sled could find a whole bunch more ground speed with another track (just like my M did). but to be fair, i was riding on june snow. could be another story in the pow. (i say this solely for the people that swear the power claw is the best thing since sliced bread)

-the front end felt a bit rigid when up on one ski. might be able to adjust this a little, might just take some time to get used to riding it. not sure. however the boondocker guy agreed, and said he would like to get the narrower a-arm kit on it. i would say that the pro rmk felt a little more nimble on one ski, however i rode the pro in waist deep pow, so that's not a fair comparison at all. and with the narrow a-arms, it could be a totally different story anyhow.

-the air intakes still seem a little funny to me. of course i still don't know for sure, but i can envision them with a whole bunch of snow stacked on top of them on a pow day. yet to be seen.

-the snow flap got sucked into the track and it was a real pain to get it back out.

-because the footwells go so far into the engine bay, there is a hump in the tunnel for the brake/chaincase, making your stance a bit wider up front. this is something i absolutely hate about the xp chassis, and i don't particularly like it on the pro climb. however, the pro climb is at least an inch narrower than the xp, and the tapered tunnel doesn't force you into a bull-rider stance like an xp does. it kinda annoyed me, but i could get used to it. definitely not as bad as an xp.

-the seat is really tall. maybe i'm just too used to the old M seat, but it seems even taller than the '10, '11 shorty seat for the M's. its comfy when cruising on the flats, but it felt a little weird when coming back down the steep climbs.

-the pro climb should come with knee pads from the factory. your feet are so far forward that your knees are right on the panels when descending. if i were one of you guys that snow checked one already i would demand knee pads to be included.

-the fact that the hood is now separate panel sections, and the motor is buried in the chassis kinda blows. but its the nature of the design i guess, what can you do. can't have it both ways i guess. historically you don't need to have the hood open often for these motors anyways, haha. i guess it might even turn out to be easier to access the clutches now, not that it was that tough before... whatever.

-they ditched the nice big gas cap from the M's and went with a tiny little thing.

as for the boondocker turbos:

wow! i've never ridden turbo sleds before, so this was pretty cool for me. the pump gas kit on the pro climb worked really well. fast for sure, but really manageable. nothing to be intimidated about. just fun.

but i also tried an '11 m8 with a race gas kit and a track that was actually hooking up (camo extreme), and holy faaaack! scary. blinding fast compared to what i'm used to. it would pull up the front end despite the 162 and ez-ryde it was equipped with. couldn't keep the throttle pinned for more than a few seconds. climb was over too fast!!

not me riding, but this was the sled.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6B0VidIRP1A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3kXgxJYzL8&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nh6pHmaElos&feature=related

photo(3).jpg photo(5).jpg photo(6).jpg photo(4).jpg photo(7).jpg

Last edited:

smokindave

Canada Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Calgary Alberta
I have some helmetcam footage from Saturday ride of this sled and will post tonight after work.

I have to say I really liked it.

I got on this pump gas boosted beast and felt at home immediately.After a very fast climb over a well climbed hill & coming down over some very rough hill the front end absorbed the bumps nicely.

For me holding this sled on its side was effortless and the steering felt VERY light.
For those of you that have snowchecked one...you are going to be very happy.

A very big THANK YOU to Mainjet and to Boondockers for bringing out all the new machines for us to ride,it was a good time.

Castlegar ride 2011 006.jpg Castlegar ride 2011 002.jpg Castlegar ride 2011 005.jpg

Reactions: Momma
P
Feb 28, 2008
Castlegar BC
Cool... Next time post some video worth a damn! Seriously! Why even post those vids?

Thanks for the write up tho.

sorry about that. i'll have to fire my film crew. they didn't bother to show up, so i was forced to capture what i could with my cell phone. the other riders didn't want to cooperate either, and they wouldn't beat on it near where i was standing.
:face-icon-small-ton

updated the original post. thought of a couple more things.

L
Jun 8, 2011
Boondocker guys say if they are doing anything with the m1100turbo?

they got lots in store for you, bigger turbos and a bunch of other stuff, it was kinda information overload.....but i can tell you this....that proclimb is my new fav sled....the first little tear i took that thing on i came back and got mad at jared cause he just cost me $20000!!!!!! so much fun.....but then again....the 2011 with a race gas kit was a runner alright......had my hand shaking pretty good with a rip on that thing.....it was running at 14lbs of boost.

Reactions: Momma
I

Insaneboltrounder/sjohns

Nov 26, 2007
Looks like you guys were riding the HCR with the wide stance , on hard snow which should make things even tougher handling and getting it on one ski. Did you find it much of a pain? Of course narrower will always be easier but is the wide stance of the HCR a deal breaker. Im asking cuz i ordered one. sj

Reactions: ACMtnCat
L
Jun 8, 2011
Looks like you guys were riding the HCR with the wide stance , on hard snow which should make things even tougher handling and getting it on one ski. Did you find it much of a pain? Of course narrower will always be easier but is the wide stance of the HCR a deal breaker. Im asking cuz i ordered one. sj

i ride a 2010 std m8......wasnt much harder then that....not sure what they had the skis at for a stance, but i thought it was fairly easy. stayed there easily as well, large balance point....

P
Feb 28, 2008
Castlegar BC

i overheard him say more than once that the panels were not original, and that this sled was in fact not an hcr. it did however have the vert post, which is only supposed to be on the hcr, but i guess that's an easy swap, and so are a-arms. who knows.

i certainly wouldn't want the stance to be any wider than it was. personally i would try to get one with the narrow a-arms right off the bat, but i'd be willing to bet that in the pow, and after a day or 2 of riding, you wouldn't even be too concerned about it. more time on the chassis will surely go a long way.

on a side note, i also rode a stock etec summit 800, which is an improvement over the original xp, but not by much. and despite the extremely narrow stance on it, the pro climb still felt a hundred times more easy to get up on one ski and hold it there. the two feel nothing alike, in case anyone was wondering.
but again, to be fair, i have never spent enough time on the xp/etec sleds to learn how to ride them right. i know they are capable of working. i've seen it. but on both the pro rmk, and the pro climb m8, relearning how to snowmobile isn't necessary.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
I'm one of those guys that is all for the PC track, but in spring --- I mean summer snow it is not going to work like a CE, that is obvious, the PC seems to hook pretty well until it is overpowered then it looses traction (especially on boost) but in the dry pow I still don't think the CE compares, imo. I just wish I could ride one of these new sleds. Thanks for the info.

Reactions: ACMtnCat

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
I still like my PC even in spring snow ...

I still say that is probably the best all-around track on the market today.

It fits the M sleds perfectly IMO ... it isn't the best in any one category, but all around its probably the best.

I'm still kicking myself in the *** for not sno-checking a 2012 M for next year :(

P
Feb 28, 2008
Castlegar BC
I'm one of those guys that is all for the PC track, but in spring --- I mean summer snow it is not going to work like a CE, that is obvious, the PC seems to hook pretty well until it is overpowered then it looses traction (especially on boost) but in the dry pow I still don't think the CE compares, imo. I just wish I could ride one of these new sleds. Thanks for the info.

yeah, that snow and the boost was definitely not working in the claw's favor. an unfair disadvantage. pow will be the true test.

but from the comfort of my computer chair ( :face-icon-small-ton ), i'm gonna speculate that stock vs stock, the pro climb and the pro rmk are going to be neck and neck next year, and it's gonna come down to who's track is working better on the particular snow conditions of the day, and how bumpy the terrain is. (i give the cat the advantage in the bumps, and the polaris the advantage in the majority of snow conditions that i experience in my neck of the woods) gonna be close. my next prediction is that with a different track, the cat leaves the polaris behind, all other things being equal.

Griff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007

It fits the M sleds perfectly IMO ... it isn't the best in any one category, but all around its probably the best.

I'm still kicking myself in the *** for not sno-checking a 2012 M for next year :(

Yep, I should have snowchecked one also. I need a reminder every now and then that the time is more expensive than the toys. One more year on the '09 then I'll have to choose an 8 or a turbo.

Great thread by the way, the review is informative.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
I think there is more to riding style and snow conditions than anything else. You can make either do whatever you want, but the proven part is the cat will last while making more power and the poo is poo, in the engine department. I hope everyones review is right on the handling and I don't have to buy 2 poos(one for a backup when the other fails) to make up for a cat.lol

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
I think there is more to riding style and snow conditions than anything else. You can make either do whatever you want, but the proven part is the cat will last while making more power and the poo is poo, in the engine department. I hope everyones review is right on the handling and I don't have to buy 2 poos(one for a backup when the other fails) to make up for a cat.lol

Anything short of a colossal f*ckup by Cat, I don't see myself switching back to Polaris ... I think I'd sooner buy a Yamaha quite frankly.

A

ACMtnCat

Nov 26, 2007
Utah

Don't kick yourself to hard. Let the first year hiccups get worked out of it and buy when there are aftermarket parts and such for it. Maybe the T1100 will be the sled to have.???

Plus the 2013's will have the vert posts and the narrow stance will be tested and proven. Who knows, maybe Cat will step up to a 2.5" track too!

A

ACMtnCat

Nov 26, 2007
Utah

I'm with yuh on the PC. Although there are a few days a year when the CE works better. But in the DEEP POW, you get that PC humming at 60mph and the sled seems to hover and climb stuff that makes other sleds look silly!

P
Feb 28, 2008
Castlegar BC
Yep, I should have snowchecked one also. I need a reminder every now and then that the time is more expensive than the toys. One more year on the '09 then I'll have to choose an 8 or a turbo.

Great thread by the way, the review is informative.

thanks griff,

really, when reviewing this sled (minus the turbo power), i kinda doubt that it's going to totally dominate the original M chassis when it comes to highmarking or boondocking. i mean sure, it soaks up bumps better and the steering feels lighter, but i doubt its going to be a total game changer vs the previous m8. its not going to make you look at the mountain any different- the way a turbo does. the difference is going to be in the details. and that's why i focused on the actual details of the sled- like the comfy ergonomics, the layout of the components, the visual appeal, and a few of the things that *may* be potential downfalls. i think that the real noticeable gains over the previous m8 are not going to be bigger highmarks and gnarlier lines, but improved comfort, convenience, and maybe less rider fatigue. i'm sure some of you would argue that this sled will perform better, and it probably will to some degree, but i seriously think these other factors are going to outshine the performance gains.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
On the far right...Dave Knight? Dan Adams to his left?
attachment.php

Premium Features