• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

RK Tek 860 ETEC out there and running great!

I dont understand how you can run stock clutching with this kit and claim to have gained anything? Or am I missing something?

RK Tek

Makes some awesome products.
110% builder
I can not say enough.

09 XP Head, Pistons, Re-flash
Benefits:
Better gas mileage
Great power
Great Pulls
Mine sled beats the new etecs on climbs
no problems

I dont understand how you can run stock clutching with this kit and claim to have gained anything? Or am I missing something?

True story!! But the 872 etec I rode only had 20g of pinweight in it and had 5mph track speed over my stock xm running the same clicker as my stocker. Both sleds were on a fresh powder climb and I did the comparing, both engines had 100 miles or so on them.
Clutched and geared right the bb will haul azz. Compared to a stocker. There is a gain, and such a smooth power delivery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well it can run at lower clickers for one. I'm not sure it wasn't my sled? But being able to leave stock exhaust etc., and to have that type of performance and extra torque is pretty cool. And at low $2,000's for kit it's well worth the $. If I wasn't riding a pro turbo and back riding a doo I'd own this kit.

According to rkt standards

Barry started climbing at 30 seconds getting into the meat of the ascent to get his sea-legs, then about 41 seconds full throttle. This is his 45~46 second pull.
Barrys 2012 RKT860 163x3inch
Barry has a comment at the end of the vid.

I have another video of a BB in private meadows in a 65 second full throttle pull. Hopefully youtube can clean up the brightness and shaking.

dang...she sings good that gal...i think ya got a nice kit there RKT...sounds like a few nice kits out the for the Doo's..

If adding pin weight or clicking down and running same or more RPM, then more power is being made.....at that RPM.
I have also seen 2 sleds running identical clutching, gearing, tracks etc...same weights and pulling same RPM but one sled dyno'd 40+ HP more and was waaayyy faster. Don't ask me to explain it because I'm not smart enough, but it does happen.

If adding pin weight or clicking down and running same or more RPM, then more power is being made.....at that RPM.
I have also seen 2 sleds running identical clutching, gearing, tracks etc...same weights and pulling same RPM but one sled dyno'd 40+ HP more and was waaayyy faster. Don't ask me to explain it because I'm not smart enough, but it does happen.

Yes, this idea that more HP MUST run more pin weight is "old school" thinking that still has merit but is not absolute by any means

We now have so many custom ramp profiles and helix options available to us that a CVT (Continuous VARYING Transmission) can self compensate like it was ALWAYS designed to do.. In The link posted above I TRY and explain this better but it is hard to put into words whatis really happening and still hold a reader's interest..:face-icon-small-dis

In short, when you make more HP at the crank you have the ABILITY to shift out further on the primary clutch and if you shift out further on the primary clutch then you have altered the
Center of Gravity (CG) of the ramp/roller... So, this changes the forces at play... This new LOCATION for the roller on the ramp is the NEW shift ratio and will change constantly..
Now, here is the simple but forgtettable part.. IF you are at further point on the primary (higher shift ratio) then you MUST also be at a different point on the secondary clutch as well.. This is a given?? WHY?? Because the belt length is fixed!!
So, add some HP, shift out further on BOTH clutches and guess, what ALL the forces (clamping and other) as well as, CG points are now different as well.. THESE "players" DIRECTLY effect the RPM at which your engine will allow with the NEW clutch "players" that were never "players" with the lower HP engine? WHY?? because the lower HP engine was never able to reach these new shift points in BOTH clutches.. This is why some ramps simply willnever work after a certain shift ratio.. the forces/players that show up are simply "unfriendly" to the engine personality...

Think of this.. "Tom" is 16 and 5'7" tall (Stock engine HP).. he can not dunk a basketball to save his life.. Over the next year he sprouts to 6'4" tall(860 ETEC RK Tek)... Now dunking is a breeze... He is still the same "Tom" but now he is able to REACH higher (farther shift) and get the job done!! Same thing applies with the big bore and GOOD/Proper clutching.. you are able to get into a higher shift ratio and IF your clutching is good (both clutches are in sync with each other) they will maintain the higher shift ratio and keep the rpm where it needs to be..

SIDE NOTE: IF you have a clutching setup where you are constantly needing to adjust the clickers with elevation change.. then you have poor clutching!! simple as that.. these clutches have the word "varying" inthem for a reason, they should self compensate and when calibrated well, WILL self compensate...

Example: I can run my sled at my house (5,000ft) and the rpm will be the same as when I run the sled at 9,000ft... No clutching changes and same rpm at both elevations.. This is how clutches SHOULD work!
I will tell you this the sled running at 5,000ft is MUCH faster (higher shift ratio) than when it is running at 9,000ft but the rpm remains the same!:face-icon-small-hap

Last edited:
Looks like a good storm coming end of next week. I will be around next weekend. Let's c where it hit's a go from there. Fairview got hammered last weekend was deep! I don't know what the snow is like up your way. But's it's great down here.

Yes, this idea that more HP MUST run more pin weight is "old school" thinking that still has merit but is not absolute by any means

We now have so many custom ramp profiles and helix options available to us that a CVT (Continuous VARYING Transmission) can self compensate like it was ALWAYS designed to do.. In The link posted above I TRY and explain this better but it is hard to put into words whatis really happening and still hold a reader's interest..:face-icon-small-dis

In short, when you make more HP at the crank you have the ABILITY to shift out further on the primary clutch and if you shift out further on the primary clutch then you have altered the
Center of Gravity (CG) of the ramp/roller... So, this changes the forces at play... This new LOCATION for the roller on the ramp is the NEW shift ratio and will change constantly..
Now, here is the simple but forgtettable part.. IF you are at further point on the primary (higher shift ratio) then you MUST also be at a different point on the secondary clutch as well.. This is a given?? WHY?? Because the belt length is fixed!!
So, add some HP, shift out further on BOTH clutches and guess, what ALL the forces (clamping and other) as well as, CG points are now different as well.. THESE "players" DIRECTLY effect the RPM at which your engine will allow with the NEW clutch "players" that were never "players" with the lower HP engine? WHY?? because the lower HP engine was never able to reach these new shift points in BOTH clutches.. This is why some ramps simply willnever work after a certain shift ratio.. the forces/players that show up are simply "unfriendly" to the engine personality...

Think of this.. "Tom" is 16 and 5'7" tall (Stock engine HP).. he can not dunk a basketball to save his life.. Over the next year he sprouts to 6'4" tall(860 ETEC RK Tek)... Now dunking is a breeze... He is still the same "Tom" but now he is able to REACH higher (farther shift) and get the job done!! Same thing applies with the big bore and GOOD/Proper clutching.. you are able to get into a higher shift ratio and IF your clutching is good (both clutches are in sync with each other) they will maintain the higher shift ratio and keep the rpm where it needs to be..

SIDE NOTE: IF you have a clutching setup where you are constantly needing to adjust the clickers with elevation change.. then you have poor clutching!! simple as that.. these clutches have the word "varying" inthem for a reason, they should self compensate and when calibrated well, WILL self compensate...

Example: I can run my sled at my house (5,000ft) and the rpm will be the same as when I run the sled at 9,000ft... No clutching changes and same rpm at both elevations.. This is how clutches SHOULD work!
I will tell you this the sled running at 5,000ft is MUCH faster (higher shift ratio) than when it is running at 9,000ft but the rpm remains the same!:face-icon-small-hap

.. So what exactly do you run for clutching

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Looks like a good storm coming end of next week. I will be around next weekend. Let's c where it hit's a go from there. Fairview got hammered last weekend was deep! I don't know what the snow is like up your way. But's it's great down here.

Sounds like perfect weekend.. Big John will be riding with me this weekend with his full mod SHR880 , so, great timing... so, since both of us are here and we have MUCH more snow than you, how about making the trip up this way and we can ride?

Would Love to.. We have 8ft base in Fairview.. They are saying 2ft by thur's and up to another 3ft over the weekend.. Another south storm.. Kinda tuff to pass that up... I might be able to come up one day. But I know you guy's arn't getting this storm like we are. If you have 3ft of fresh I will come up.. Give me a call. 406-633-0434.. I might come up fri.. Have John give me a call. He know's me...Maybe we can grab some drinks fri evening

Matt

Last edited:
Here's an idea... I have a Trygstad 860... Lets get a shr and rktech and settle it. I am in Utah and I know there is a ton of 860's out here.. Oh and some one to record it.. Lol! Next 2 ft dump... let's line it up.. Oh personally these treads are such a joke! But I would like to see in real word conditions how they stack up. U guy's can all see mine run in the Utah section.. Black 163... That was a 2ft powder day.. Stockers were stuck half way up..Fairview and mill hollow thread.This is to be all in good fun btw. Haha!

I guess I am a bit confused.. You wanted to have RK Tek and SHR together and as you say "settle it"
NOW, I have SHR and Me (RK Tek) together this weekend.. with a 15ft base of snow and new snow on the way.. and you think that you might not want to come up??:face-icon-small-con:face-icon-small-con This is exactly what you wished for:face-icon-small-con

So, you can see where my confusion stems from??

John's sled is full mod with bored carbs, exhaust, light weight, special valves, the works..
Your sled has many of the same items installed... and the awesome Paragon clutch which we KNOW works very well..

My sled is BONE stock with a big bore installed...

So, I think that this is ideal and not to mention, was YOUR idea to begin with...

so, how about it??? Cruise on up, and ride literally twice the amount of snow and have the people you wanted to compare against here and ready to go..

Seems like a "no brainer" to me...

Anybody else??

yep..i don't understand...it was clear that it was going to be apples to apples and Kelsey has been lenient on a couple infractions...then the old story...get an inch take a mile..
come on guys and man up to Kelseys fair offer for fair comparisons or not even start the concept in the first place...

Willikers....

I guess I am a bit confused.. You wanted to have RK Tek and SHR together and as you say "settle it"
NOW, I have SHR and Me (RK Tek) together this weekend.. with a 15ft base of snow and new snow on the way.. and you think that you might not want to come up??:face-icon-small-con:face-icon-small-con This is exactly what you wished for:face-icon-small-con

So, you can see where my confusion stems from??

John's sled is full mod with bored carbs, exhaust, light weight, special valves, the works..
Your sled has many of the same items installed... and the awesome Paragon clutch which we KNOW works very well..

My sled is BONE stock with a big bore installed...

So, I think that this is ideal and not to mention, was YOUR idea to begin with...

so, how about it??? Cruise on up, and ride literally twice the amount of snow and have the people you wanted to compare against here and ready to go..

Seems like a "no brainer" to me...

Anybody else??
Ur kidding right? I left you a detailed message on how to get ahold of me.. And I have heard nothing... Check your messages!!!!! I called you around 445 today.. I am In 100%... I Would like to know where your riding so I can book a room. I am In Wy working till Thurs.. But can Travel Up Fri like I said in the voicemail! You can also reach me at 507-993-9011. Whatever works!

Last edited:
:whip:Maybe his woman won't give him the keys to the truck to drive that far

:behindsofa: :whip:

She was killed by a drunk driver in MN in Sept.. So I would bet she doesn't care! But thanks!!! I gonna be honest.. Thought this was a sport? You guy's are kinda taking the fun out of it.. Just wanted to have some fun... I am a garage tuner not a builder.. Like i said before I do not represent trygstad in any way shape or form.. Just wanted to have some fun. Maybe I was wrong???? To be honest I bought this sled for 7 grand with 500 miles on it in nov. I have done nothing to it but clutching. I totaled it in dec. Rebuilt it myself. I have a total of around 9 into sled. Has 1000 miles on it. Big bore was put in when new in 2009. This sled is a pump gas 860 which dave does not make anymore. Just wanted to have some fun with the sport I love! Didn't mean to start a civil war!

Last edited:
She was killed by a drunk driver in MN in Sept.. So I would bet she doesn't care! But thanks!!! I gonna be honest.. Thought this was a sport? You guy's are kinda taking the fun out of it.. Just wanted to have some fun... I am a garage tuner not a builder.. Like i said before I do not represent trygstad in any way shape or form.. Just wanted to have some fun. Maybe I was wrong???? To be honest I bought this sled for 7 grand with 500 miles on it in nov. I have done nothing to it but clutching. I totaled it in dec. Rebuilt it myself. I have a total of around 9 into sled. Has 1000 miles on it. Big bore was put in when new in 2009. This sled is a pump gas 860 which dave does not make anymore. Just wanted to have some fun with the sport I love! Didn't mean to start a civil war!
scratley sorry for your lose.

I would love to see how a 3 or 4 year old sled would stack up with the latest and greatest from SHR & RKT.:cheer2:

Premium Features

Back