• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

RK Tek 860 ETEC out there and running great!

The install, IMO, is not real difficult.. But is a little more tricky than the PTEK install. Nothing too difficult

This engine is capable of making the LONG pull and still maintain power!

This is a critical component with engine building... It is very easy to make power on a dyno (never been highmarked by a dyno yet) for short durations... The REAL KEY is t obe able to make big power and HOLD it under the long and loaded pull! and THAT is EXACTLY what this kit does! and does very well!
All these thermostat changes do nothing...

ALLof our kits are designed around the octane and elevations YOU ride and are kit specific... no Generic, one size fits all, parts out of my shop.. We have been doing this FAR too long to not have it correct for the application.

gearing and belt drives... These do not effect the engine kit.. The engine still produces the same power regardless of what is attached to the clutches or chaincase

Hope this helps

Kelsey

Kelsey, I'm very interested in your kit but I've got a few questions...

I've got a 163 XM estart, carbon can, C3 belt drive (25T, 63B), stock clutching

Riding generally 6-8000 ft, but sometimes 2-3000 ft

I do have an rk tek dealer (Specialty Sled) nearby. I live in Edmonton, AB. I plan on doing something in the off season when I know I've got something reliable to work with.

I don't know a whole lot about BB's, fuel controllers, and fine tuning clutches but I'm fully capable and I want to learn.

I don't necessarily need to ride around home and I do plan on buying another sled in the next couple years. I'm not sure if a fuel controller is absolutely necessary... However, a lot of the trail rides into where we ride are 3-4000 ft and go up to 6-8000 ft. Does this require a fuel controller (again I don't know much about them?)

What are your recommendations? (As far as:

-clutching
-cooling- Terra Alps racing offers a lower temp/higher flow thermostat and housing (opens @ 90F and closes bypass @ 120F... is it necessarily a good thing?
-venting- keep the CVT cooling shroud? panel venting? "Blow hole" hot air eliminator ok?
-fuel- VP C111 race fuel & 91 octane mixture ok?
-we still have 1/2 a barrel sitting in a dry cool dark place for a couple years now... is it ok?
-What fuel ratio?
-gearing- I want to keep the C3 belt drive... Should I be worried about gearing or field test first?
-carbon can... Do I need to run the suitcase? What about pipe and y pipe?

-Is this a job a competent HD tech can take on without really having to worry?... I rebuilt one top end, on my old rev, but the locator pin failed a few hundred km into its rebirth, took out the cylinder & kind of has me wondering if I made a simple mistake that cost me a lot or if it was just a fluke! I ended up putting in a short block.

I really want to do the work myself. Mostly to learn but also to save $...

Yes that would be great.. I know there are alot of updates on the 872 that my 860 does not have. So in all fairness It's not a current motor. I am sure there are alot of guy's that have there 860's running top notch. Just thought it would be fun to get a bunch of us together and run em... Tired of all the trash talk on here... Buy what you buy. Set it up, run it and have fun with it!

Didn't hear from ya.. So, are you ready to get together?

Sounds like we should all hold this up cub river? I can round up some pump gas pros and race gas iq and maybe a big bore pump gas pro. Just throwing more oranges into the mix :). But really if this does happen Id like to come watch. Ive never seen a 860/872/880 go.

The install, IMO, is not real difficult.. But is a little more tricky than the PTEK install. Nothing too difficult

This engine is capable of making the LONG pull and still maintain power!

This is a critical component with engine building... It is very easy to make power on a dyno (never been highmarked by a dyno yet) for short durations... The REAL KEY is t obe able to make big power and HOLD it under the long and loaded pull! and THAT is EXACTLY what this kit does! and does very well!
All these thermostat changes do nothing...

ALLof our kits are designed around the octane and elevations YOU ride and are kit specific... no Generic, one size fits all, parts out of my shop.. We have been doing this FAR too long to not have it correct for the application.

gearing and belt drives... These do not effect the engine kit.. The engine still produces the same power regardless of what is attached to the clutches or chaincase

Hope this helps

Kelsey
REALY ?All these Thermostat changes do nothing.Please enlighten me on this one .Thanks

Has not any body else figured out that this clown is playing with everyone!
Time to move to better things,

No joking here... I want to get together...and compare these sleds.. It was n0t my idea, but I want to get it going..
How about this weekend?

Last edited:
No joking here... I want to get together...and compare these sleds.. It was n0t my idea, but I want to get it going..
How about this weekend?

I am pretty sure scratley and i are going to be on skyline tomorrow, after that he is headed to MT for work for 2 weeks.

Kelsey... C'mon... Quit gloating.... doesn't really add to the discussion.

No "Gloating" would be when I post the TIME SLIPS of the 872 (full race $7000 kit) vs. the RK Tek 860 (stock pipe on pump gas).. That has not happened yet.... THAT would be gloating...

But sitting idle while a fellow engine builder calls you dorrogatory names... Sorry... not called for, respectful, nor tolerated...

Last edited:
According to rkt standards
The TRUE test of a good kit is how long you can remain in the throttle under EXTREME LOAD and MAINTAIN the HP level that you had at the start of the ascent.. not these little 10-15 second runs that have very little to no load on the engine...
Barry started climbing at 30 seconds getting into the meat of the ascent to get his sea-legs, then about 41 seconds full throttle. This is his 45~46 second pull.
Barrys 2012 RKT860 163x3inch
Barry has a comment at the end of the vid.

I have another video of a BB in private meadows in a 65 second full throttle pull. Hopefully youtube can clean up the brightness and shaking.

Thanks to Kelsey I was able to ride his new 860 in a couple feet of powder Saturday. All I can say is impressive! It would pull away from stock xm like you were on a pump gas turbo. No fuel controller, stock clutching, stock exhaust.
47 to 50 mph track speed at 8500 plus ft in powder. And it doesn't fade whatsoever! Great build kelsey!
And don't let Todd demo your sled with any known rocks on the hill :face-icon-small-sho

Thanks to Kelsey I was able to ride his new 860 in a couple feet of powder Saturday. All I can say is impressive! It would pull away from stock xm like you were on a pump gas turbo. No fuel controller, stock clutching, stock exhaust.
47 to 50 mph track speed at 8500 plus ft in powder. And it doesn't fade whatsoever! Great build kelsey!
And don't let Todd demo your sled with any known rocks on the hill :face-icon-small-sho

did you choose to gear down? and track length?

Premium Features

Back