• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

ReKluse Clutch thoughts?

Iowa__Freeriders

Premium Member
Dec 31, 2010
NW Iowa
Hey Guys, wanting some opinions on guys running the ReKluse Auto clutch. currently I have a '09 CRF450 efi with '16 ST+TSS, thermobob, FMF programmer. rest is stock.
I ride 50/50, iowa/Wyoming. go west 3-4 times a year.
is it worth spending all the $$$ for the ReKluse Clutch setup?? haven't rode it out west yet only in the ditches and that seems to be fine but im wondering when it gets technical out west? any input helps thanks!

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
plus or minus

a recluse can mask some problems with poorly tuned bikes. Hower the biggest problem with a poorly tuned 450 4 stroke is usually killing the motor when you need it most, like jumping logs, real tight woods etc.

On the snow the rotational force of the track/chains etc usually wipe out stalling problems, so motor killing really ceases to be a snobike issue.

down side to reluse is cost and installation obviously. harder to find neutral, on some bikes like next to impossible on some of the ktm's so you learn to hit neutral while still hooked and moving forward. can't coast it to start it for sure.

I ride without one. My partner has one. We swap bikes, I hardly notice it.

Had a recluse on a yz250f i turned into woods racer, rode that for 5 years, was a novelty at first, by the time I had sold the bike and moved on, I had been too lazy to take it back out, just wasn't necessay thought, did help me adjust to racing 4 stroke in tight woods.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
For summer i think they are pretty trick, for winter, save the 900 bucks and put it towards paying for another trip west.

As mentioned above ,the inertia of the track helps prevent stalling, also, because you have a track, you can be so much more aggressive on the throttle/clutch which again reduces stalling. You have to be so smooth with a 450 in technical dirt riding because of the aggresive powerband. In the snow it is tamed down so much that you can hit the rev limiter and dump the clutch without issue.

Ryanexcr

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2011
Washington State
ReKluse

It is a no brainier takes all the stalling issues out of the picture and yes the snowbikes do still have this. Loading bike is easier, getting unstuck is easier. I used to think I did not need one until I got one and life on dirt and snow is so much better. I will not own another bike without one. :scared::jaw::rockon::fish:

C

Corban_White

Dec 30, 2009
My bike (KTM300) came with one and I love it on dirt but I don't really like it on snow. I'm trying to minimise summer to winter changes on my build but if I wasn't I would remove it when I put the kit on and put it back on with the wheels.

mnsnowhawk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2007
Dayton, Minnesota
Guys running it in the summer, are you changing any rekluse settings for your winter setup? Springs, weights etc. For my bike, rekluse said to run the exact same setting it came from their factory. 500exc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
Rekluse is the god mod for summer tight and gnarly. In the winter it's meh.... nice but really doesn't provide much benefit if you know how to ride the bike right. I've had it for the winter before and I no longer even think about putting it on anymore. Non-issue really.

lundracing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 14, 2011
Rolla, ND
I put one on my bike and wish I would not have. I am new to snowbikes and did my first trip without and then one with. I liked shifting better and the bike seems to perform in the deep snow better with the standard clutch. Letting off and pulling in the clutch to shift seemed to let the bike climb back on top the snow. With the recluse I noticed that the bike trenched and you did not have to let off so it seemed to just keep trenching. Just what I noticed.

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
save the money. if you know how to ride a dirt bike and you get how to operate a clutch, save the dough. If you wanted to get into snow biking and had little to no experience on a dirt bike, it is very helpful.

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
I have an 09 CRF450R with a z start pro and a 16 TS LT

Personally I really like it in the summer. Still stalls on occasion but way better then a manual clutch in the technical stuff

I think I would rather have the manual clutch in the snow. The reason I left it in is the z start makes the clutch pull really light and the stock 4 spring clutch is junk. You get more clamping force with the z start.

I just ride it like a manual clutch summer and winter

If you do get one, get the core exp 3.0. Way better then my z start. Couple of buddies have them and they are killer in the summer.

Around here people say to take the rekluse out because they don't hold up in the snow.

Who out there has had failures?

SuperchargedWS6

Lifetime Membership
Nov 14, 2010
I love my core EXP 3.0 Great in the summer for technical riding and I find it only helps in the winter too. If you want to ride it as if it doesn't have an auto clutch, you can too.

Is it worth it on a dedicated snowbike? It is if you have the money. If buying it causes you to do without in other areas, then no, I don't think it is worth it.

For the reasons listed above (easier loading, easier unstucks, and I find easier on tight narrow hard pack trails), my preference would be to have one.

I'm not an amazing rider, but have been riding dirt and street for 25 years. It helps even experienced riders at times.

Oh, and no setting changes between dirt and snow, unless you change your idle.

D

DieselTwitch

Dec 23, 2007
Gunnison, Colorado
IMO, it really depends on what type of ride you are.

Reasons not to get one:
- Advanced rider that enjoys the solid connection to a clutch
- On a budget
- Have been riding a clutch all your life and don't care to change it
- Dont stall the bike much
- Riding Mostly trails with the above being true
- Want to ride at 110% all day for a short period of time

Reason to get one:
- New to riding or an older rider who doesn't ride as fast and wants to just enjoy the ride and doesn't care about being the fastest
- Stalls from time to time
- Spends a lot of time in super technical areas where you find your self needing to ghost ride your bike
- enjoy exploring at a slower pace for the view and the experience of the ride its self and not worried about the rush.

That being said, I have them in both my bikes. KTM 500 and Husa 570. I love them. I don't spend much time in the front of a pack, and I don't leave the ground very much. I enjoy the getting into hard to reach places. the Autoclutch makes the bike feel smooth and just flows for me. Its really a personal preference. I suggest your try it if you can afford it. they have a full money back guarantee, so theres really nothing to lose but a little bit of time.

Im 32, have 4 year of combat duty and I'm tired, I don't pin it to win it but enjoy watching others. and I love reaching the top of obscure places!

Apr 22, 2009
Bought a 650 Husaberg one already in it. It just slips and turns oil black with all tungsten balls took it out but it back stock no more slipping

D

DieselTwitch

Dec 23, 2007
Gunnison, Colorado
Bought a 650 Husaberg one already in it. It just slips and turns oil black with all tungsten balls took it out but it back stock no more slipping

Sounds like you had one of the older model pro clutch's. these didn't fair to well and where pain, the new ones don't slip (expect when they are meant to)

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
That had to be the zstart ... I know on my modified cr500 I had to triple the tungsten ball count to get it not to slip... They are way touchier then the new cores... Which are great ...I would get one for the cr if they made one .. Just make sure you get the full kit and not the cheap one if you are going to snowbike with it ...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

scottbilt95

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
golden, colorado
scottbiltracing.us
rekluse

this is my first serious year on a snowbike. 2014 yz450 with 2015 ts lt. best dyno run was 59hp (adjusted) at rear wheel. have never rode on dirt with a rekluse. where am i going with this? i thought it would be an advantage for keeping the engine from stalling. it is which is especially cool with no e-start but the coolest feature i am seeing is that on nastier descents, or anywhere where the steering gets heavy, i can concentrate on where i want to go without having to have a finger(s) ready to pull in the clutch if things slow down. also, haven't noticed any slippage whatsoever on the recommended setup. easy to install. core exp is a great product. is it critical; no but it has definite advantages in certain conditions in my opinion.

jeff

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Like everyone has said, not needed so much on a snow bike. If you single track in the summer and don't have a lot of experience it is a God send. I have one on my husky 450 mostly for summer. Hardly use it for the snowbike.

yooper01

Lifetime Membership
Mar 18, 2014
I ride a lot of tight technical places with a core exp 3.0. My friends with regular clutches seem to struggle in awkward situations that I can just fly through.

In more open trees or meadows its not really necessary in my experience, but in the real tight stuff its great.

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

W
Mar 13, 2013
Kirkland
Probably enough said on this topic, but thought I'd chime in that I finally broke down and bought one after seeing how darn easy it makes loading and getting unstuck. I've been riding clutches for couple decades but the Rekluse makes a ton of sense and helps in nasty stuff, as mentioned above. No matter how awesome you are, a big bore 4 stroke flames out A LOT more often without a reckluse than with one - that's just a fact.

Premium Features