• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Pump gas turbo clutching

J

Jamesrulz

I installed a cutler stage 1 in my 2010 m8 last year and I get a nasty hard engagement with the gold and white spring in the primary. This hard engagement also makes my sled bog out of the hole in hard going. Mountain magic told me to install the stock primary spring stick with the weights they sent me because I am getting my 8200 RPM and put a Dalton 40/44 helix in. I'm not doubting these guys opinion just wondering what everyone else thinks

Last edited:
What helix now? What elevation? How much boost? What weights now? 40 seems like a high start if you're trying to gain low end.

Thought about mds weights? I'm going to give them a whirl this winter, hoping for better belt life and better low end/back shift.

Brad

I installed a cutler stage 1 in my 2010 m8 last year and I get a nasty hard engagement with the gold and white sponge in the primary. This hard engagement also makes my sled bog out of the hole in hard going. Mountain magic told me to install the stock primary spring stick with the weights they sent me because I am getting my 8200 RPM and put a Dalton 40/44 helix in. I'm not doubting these guys opinion just wondering what everyone else thinks

I am running 8 psi with I think 78 or 80 gram cutler adjustable weights. Currently has stock helix and secondary spring with gold and white cutler primary spring. I run at average 7000 feet.

Last edited:
The MDS weights work great with stock helix, ran them last year and was very impressed.

I also wouldn't rule out MM's opinion, I think he knows his stuff.

I am running 8 psi with I think 78 or 80 gram cutler adjustable weights. Currently has stock helix and secondary spring with gold and white cutler primary spring. I run at average 7000 feet.

Kevin definetly knows his stuff, but at that elevation seems a bit high. What are your complaints with stock 36? Give the mds a try if you've already got a stock secondary, then you don't need to change anything except primary weights and perhaps a new pri spring.

At 10k I'm at 10 lbs pulling 80 g stock cts weights and a 36/46 helix. Black purple primary. Just to give you an idea.

My complaints are I have a major issue getting this sled moving in 3 feet of fresh snow it engages really hard and bogs. It seems like when it engages it drives the belt into the secondary causing it to start off in a higher gear. I already bought that helix so I guess I'll see what it does with the stock spring back in the primary.

You need my weights

With my turbo weights you also get a smooth engagement. It will actually roll start very smooth.

What Mountain Magic are you talking about.
If that is me I would never tell you to run a stock spring.
a 40/44 would work

I installed a cutler stage 1 in my 2010 m8 last year and I get a nasty hard engagement with the gold and white spring in the primary. This hard engagement also makes my sled bog out of the hole in hard going. Mountain magic told me to install the stock primary spring stick with the weights they sent me because I am getting my 8200 RPM and put a Dalton 40/44 helix in. I'm not doubting these guys opinion just wondering what everyone else thinks

It was mountain magic in Edmonton, what spring would you run in the primary? I know the cutler gold and white isn't the ticket for me.

Have you. Ever thought of using adjustable weights and putting more weight at the base? It will smooth out the engagement. I have supreme tool adjustable weights and I tried heavy tipped and it was too high of an engament too hard as well. So I put most of the weight a the base and it really smoothed it out.

I just have the cutler adjustable weights with the different set screws but you can't adjust heal weight. Maybe if this set up that was suggested by MM in Edmonton isn't right that will be the next move.

You might want to PM about some new weights we are building that hinge on the heal to change the angle of the ramp for rpm adjustments and shifts at different rpms, we also added height to the ramp so that there is always a smooth engagment on the M clutches.
Jared Cook, Between the lines designs.

clutching is key between good turbo and turd.

I find that most turbo clutching is way off . I like to load a turbo but you need to let it spool first. That is why most put a 36/46 and a high engagement spring thus you get that clunk or harsh engagement.
Even the turbo companies clutches different for example.

Bd. Uses light top weight. Like 80 g cat weight high engagement spring and a 36/46 helix.

Ovs uses heavy tips high engagement spring a multi angle torsion set up.

I like to use a turbo weight with high engagement spring with a straight 44 or 46 helix. The key is the weights. Gives you smother engagement let's turbo spool then loads the crap out of sled. Results is pull your arms off feeling. Clutches work together and turbo is loaded getting max power good for boondocking hill climbing.

Hope this helps.

I had mine with MDS so you could make it roll off engagement also, they are heavy all over and really load the turbo for max track speed, but at times some may want to take a little of the tip weight out for better spool up like mm said, either way still got way more track speed and performance than the twisted setup.

I'm gunn a give the cutler weights stock springs and 40/44 helix a shot next weekend and see what it's like hope it's works good if not I'll be looking at some of these options, I want this thing to jump out of the hole hard.

I finally tested this set up with yellow and white primary spring orange secondary spring 40/44 helix and cutler adjustable weights. It works way better then before but doesn't take off hard like stock still. Will a turbo ever be able to have instant throttle response like stock or am I expecting to much?

drag race

I drag race all the time and rarely get beat out of the hole by none turbo sleds. So yes if you clutch it right no lag.

Hah old topic but still.

My clutching setup as follows:
- 63/57 gearing, stock m8 2008
- MDS weights, don't know the current weight, orange-white spring
- Cutler torsional secondary helix 44/36, green spring, , because have not bought a new one since bought the turbo.
- 046 belt

Engine non-HO 800 setup:
- 3 degree e-key to retard, 2 degree key on crank to advance
- BoonDocker turbo kit:
- GT2860rs turbo, 7psi
- Intercooler
- HiCap fuel pump with external pressure regulator, set to 35psi

Track is 153"long with 3" lug PowerClaw

I am a flatlander, running on pump gas.

Any ideas on clutching?

I think would start on the helix? But what angle?

Almost lost in drag race to stock 800 etec.

Last edited:
Premium Features

Back