• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Poll, Best mountain ski's for XP.

Best XP mountain ski's.

• Total voters
Thread Rating
3.00 star(s)
why not make this a meaningful poll and list a few other ski's, that way everyone can see what the majority like to use. maybe keep the name calling to yourself or is that your only defense. A better explanation would have helped.

This Isn't about what "other" people want, Im trying to find a set that I would like and that fits me the best.
If you want to run your own poll about ski's go right ahead. I wont come in and try to run yours!

J

JROD

Nov 6, 2004
Bozeman, MT
Another vote for Simmons. Great control in the deep for carving and sidehilling. Very controllable in harder conditions yet forgiving enough and not overly aggressive.

My vote for a more aggressive race or extreme trail type ski would, however, be the C&As. The longer, deeper keel can be harder to turn sometimes.

Note: Very much of the way a ski reacts to various conditions relies a lot on ski pressure and rear suspension set up. I'm also a firm believer that one ski reacts differently to one model sled differently than another. Won't find a better ski than a Simmons for Ski-Doos is what I've found. The Slydogs have a tendency to not handle much abuse. Burned through a few pairs of those in one year. Had my Simmons for 4-5 years now on three different sleds.

Last edited:
G

gman086

Feb 5, 2008
Portland, OR
I've spent plenty of time on them all except Slydogs and can say, without a doubt, that Mods are the best pure powder ski by a large margin. You'll rarely see someone who's tried them actually go back to stock, Simmons or Powder Pros. Get C&A's if you're an aggressive trail rider (which might be the case considering your list?).

Have FUN!

G MAN

S
Dec 1, 2007
BC
powder pro's. stock pilots fliped left to right (so outer runner is inside) works alright but powder pro's fight you a lot less on set up snow compared to stock.

D

deep_doo

Nov 30, 2007
Sheridan
i like simmons for everything but wet spring snow . It sticks in the center of them and adds weight and makes them hard to steir

Leaf27

Premium Member
Oct 24, 2008
I was debating to get new skis, but starting to think the stock pilots work fine.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
fred, with your sled I imagine the ski's dont see much of the ground!

again, I really like the simmons for all around! and they can take a solid hit!

D
Nov 20, 2005
rode snowies this past weekend ...put my ole simmons on . they were on my 03 zx summit , i took them off and put them on the second day ...with spring snow (a foot of fresh or less) riding in the trees , i liked the simmons a lot better they tracked better when i turned they hooked up and made going through the trees better ... in the open meadows they did not throw the snow up in my face like the stock ones did..
my friend took his stock skis and switched them around ,, he said it took a little getting used to, but he was leaving them on backwards .. he said he c ould put it over on its side a lot easier./
i will leave the original simmons on .. i like them .....but if i was to buy new skis i would listen to xrider and buy the mods....just because i have heard so many good things about them.. my .02

B
Nov 29, 2007
MN & WY
Powder Pros. I weigh about 150 lbs and am 5-10. It was hard for me to throw around the xp. I couldnt do circles. I could get about a horse shoe turn and then it would fall back on both skis. I threw on a pair of PP and WOW, seriously the sled is a breeze to ride now. Myself and 4-5 other guys ride Ski Doo XPs and Poo RMKs and even M8s. On the XP it was a must, on the Poo you really dont need dif. skis the stock are great, and on Cat it is optional. However in crusty snow, the PP will dart and just about buck you off! To me it is still worth it, 99% of the time theres is no crust. And if there is, by mid-day the snow is soft again. Ride in western Wyoming about 5-6k miles per year, BUT 4k are on a Polaris 700 RMK. The rest I ride the XP 154 X.
Just my 2 cents, havent tried too many others, and there may be better skis,
I found Powder Pros work great for myself so I aint changin yet.

I
Dec 14, 2001
Archer, Idaho
3 votes for SLYDOG's, for all around mountain riding NOT just trail.

Simmons are exceptional Trail SKi's. But they are not my favorite for off-trail riding, IMHO, stock are a better choice for 'All -around" ski perfomance, with SLYDOGS being the best for my needs, (mostly boondocking / powder mountain riding with a little trail thrown in). Now this may sound funny, but I find the SLYDOG trail ski's to be my perfect ski, they help on the trail handling (which I dont really care about) are lighter than the SLYDOG powerhounds, and are still exceptional in the Pow, which is what I care about. They are lighter, and give me boondocking /powder performance while still giving me acceptable trail handling, not as good as Simmons trail manners, but without the "heavy" forcefull handling of the Simmons "offtrail".

All 3 of our DOO's run on SLYDOGS, as doo several of my riding partners, two of who are young riders who do not have much $$ to spend on mods, and they LOVE their SLYDOGS. That makes 5 SLYDOG riders that won't give them up.

Hope this helps.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Slim, did you or your buddies find the Slydogs to feel "darty"? We ran them on the shop XP last year and found we had to go with close to 1" toe-out to help with the darting/"twitchy" feel. They were fine in deeper snow but I didn't like the twitchy feel in the heavier spring snow or hard snow. These were the wider version-

Premium Features