• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Photographers?! Packs...

Back in the day when I snowboarded I made a pouch out of bubble wrap and slid my camera into it and never had an issue with any kinda damage.

Foam cutout on the top left is for the camera. We'll see how it works out. Still have plenty of room for extras.

Case is waterproof, and i've got four 1/4-20x1/2" vibration-isolating standoffs i'm using to mount it to the sled.

Hey Mule,

I was thinking of doing the same thing with a Pelican case. What are the isolation vibration standoffs? I'm going to come up with something to mount to my RAW chassis bolt channels.

Foam cutout on the top left is for the camera. We'll see how it works out. Still have plenty of room for extras.

Case is waterproof, and i've got four 1/4-20x1/2" vibration-isolating standoffs i'm using to mount it to the sled.

DSC00699.jpg

Mule..what kinda lense are you using..50mm?

mine goes in a small case from lowepro and then into the back pack. Doing ok so far.

I've tried a few different packs. The one I've liked the best is the LowePro Rover AW II. The camera bag is in the bottom of the bag, with a zipper that splits the bag basically in two. The bag keeps the camera bulk down around your waist, which helps with fatigue. There's also enough room in the top half to carry a few items.

I tried riding with Nature Trekker, but it's way too big and I have a tendency to overload it. I have never taken that pack where I was glad I had it.

I usually pack a 70-200, teleconvertor and a Canon 1D series body. You could probably get another lens in there. The Rover isn't waterproof, but I've not had a problem with it. It does have a cover for powder days. It also comes in a waterproof version, but it seemed like more than I needed: DryZone Rover. I'm pretty sure you can put a water bladder in the waterproof version. You could probably put one in the non-waterproof version, but it doesn't seemed to be designed for it.

Last edited:
I have tried a ton of different packs over the years,This one is by far my favorite, I can get my camera out quick without taking it off, the zipper is on the side that faces your back, so you just slip the shoulder strap off, flip it around front leaving the waist strap on, unzip and grab your camera.

I used a chest pack for a year, I bought a Pelican case to mount to my tunnel, I was going to do the same thing, mount it with some rubber half inch spacers between the case and tunnel, after looking at it for a couple weeks, I came to the conclusion that I did not want my camera bouncing around in the case on my tunnel even with all that padding, what if you are trying to climb something, lose it near the top, and your sled tumbles all the way to the bottom with your camera? no thanks! I would rather have it on my back with me :)

Good luck with whatever you decide on, it's worth it to get great pics!

Nice camera that 40d! its what i shoot!

I will put in two recommendations:
Dakine Sequence
http://www.backcountry.com/outdoorg...ckpack-w-Camera-Block-2000cu-in/DAK0586M.html

Dakine Mission Photo
http://www.backcountry.com/outdoorgear/DAKINE-Mission-Photo-Backpack-1500cu-in/DAK0588M.html

I recommend the sequence because its more built for winter, having a shovel pouch. In mine (mission photo pack) i fit the 40d, a 16-35mm wide angle, the 70-200mm IS lens, the 24-135mm lens, two filter kits, wireless remote accessories, and spare goggles, gloves, and the tripod mounts easily to the outside. Carries all my gear comfortably, safely, and protection is great!

Nice camera that 40d! its what i shoot!

I will put in two recommendations:
Dakine Sequence
http://www.backcountry.com/outdoorg...ckpack-w-Camera-Block-2000cu-in/DAK0586M.html

Dakine Mission Photo
http://www.backcountry.com/outdoorgear/DAKINE-Mission-Photo-Backpack-1500cu-in/DAK0588M.html

I recommend the sequence because its more built for winter, having a shovel pouch. In mine (mission photo pack) i fit the 40d, a 16-35mm wide angle, the 70-200mm IS lens, the 24-135mm lens, two filter kits, wireless remote accessories, and spare goggles, gloves, and the tripod mounts easily to the outside. Carries all my gear comfortably, safely, and protection is great!
Dakine makes really nice gear, I've always loved their packs. Wanna borrow some of your lenses?? :D Dunatic I agree with you of not putting it on the tunnel..it's my baby, it's going on my back!

I've had a few different setups. I shot a fair bit, and depending on the level of gear I'm taking with me. If I'm doing a pre-arranged photoshot, if I'm exploring, or if I'm just out riding and want to bring a camera along for snap shots. I have different bags. Here was my breakdown for last season.

Bag 1) Crumpler - I have one of the larger crumpler bags, I used to use then as my "general" bag, it had a good "chest" strap but wasn't really suited for sled usage. I still use it when I'm doing "non-sledding actives or as a secondary pack for my lighting that I strap to the tunnel if I'm bringing out everything. It's really well insulted and tough (I've accidentally had it drag from a sled, with no damage to my gear) what I like best about it, is it looks like a real backpack, not a camera pack.

Bag 2) Waist pack Video Bag, I have a smaller Dakine Video bag it's as messenger style pack made for a camcorder. It has a really solid waist strap that holds the bag in place on your hip. It's good for a DSLR camera and 1 lens, (70-200, and a smaller lens like a 24-70, or a fish). If you don't have alot of gear and don't need an "avy pack" as well this is the way to go, it's light and easy to assess while riding, (since you don't have to take your pack off to pull out your camera.

Bag 3) Dakine-Nomad "Camelbak", (this is what I usually take out my main riding bag with or without my camera). I picked up the largest mountain bike hydro pack. It allows me to fit 1 Body w/lens attached usually my Canon 1d, and 70-200 lens. It has a ton of pockets for extra stuff like food, tools, GPS, cell, I can strap my shovel to it, my probe, or my helmet, having a hydro pack is a huge plus if your like me and ride a Sled with no seat pockets. It also has Waist and chest straps which keep it everything snug, and take alot of the strain off your back.

Dakine-Nomad.jpg

Bag 4) Dakine Sequence, this replaced the crumpler as my main "photo bag", It's by far the best bag I have had. It has padded waist straps, and adjustable shoulder straps which really helps disperse the weight and make it alot easier to lug around a full to the brim bag of gear, as somebody who has 3 broken verts..anything I can do to ease stress on my back when riding is a huge plus. When I started using this bag I found myself much less fatigue after riding for a day. This pack does it all (if you have alot of gear) I can fit 2 bodies, 4 lens, portable flashes, tripods, all my riding gear (shovel, probe, gps, food, water, ect), even strap my skis or board to it. the bag it's self is not that heavy, but once loaded down adjustable correct it really molds to your back. Between the removal insert and all the front pockets you can really load this thing down. This is the second version of the sequence I've used and I am beyond impressed. If your going to be in the BC I highly recommend this pack. It was made for the backcountry photographer. Everything is highly water proof. The only draw back is having to stop and take your pack off to get to your gear.

dk9-810046028bk-300x300.jpg

Last edited:
Great packs guys, I may need to try one.

I have a 20D and a 40D and carry a 70-200 f2.8 with a 16-35 f2.8 and teleconverters to get a little more length if needed. I like to have my 24-70 f2.8 for people shots but the weight gets to be too much for my small frame. I don't always carry both bodies but changing lenses can be a pain

I always carry the camera on my back, I just dont want my baby on the sled. I usually just shove the camera into my pack with gloves and towels to cushion it. I tried a photo pack last year but it was too big and bulky, no space for the shovel, probe, etc. Weight is a huge issue for a smaller women so any suggestions would be helpful also.

Just a pointer from personal experience... Leaving the lens attached to the body as it sits in your pack (I use a Lowepro Mini Trekker) while you ride can ruin the rings inside the camera body. Bigger lenses increase the chance of damage while left attached. Probably safe riding with a 50 on the body, but something like an 18-200 or a 70-300 can (and did) jack things up. Very expensive fix...

I would recommend the Dakine Sequence and Mission Photo packs also, it just depends how much equipment you will be carrying. If you are concerned about weight, the Mission Photo is probably the way to go. The Sequence is a bigger pack and weighs 6lbs on its own. The only packs I've found that are designed to carry camera gear and snow/avy gear are the Dakine and Burton packs.

Just a pointer from personal experience... Leaving the lens attached to the body as it sits in your pack (I use a Lowepro Mini Trekker) while you ride can ruin the rings inside the camera body. Bigger lenses increase the chance of damage while left attached. Probably safe riding with a 50 on the body, but something like an 18-200 or a 70-300 can (and did) jack things up. Very expensive fix...

What pack, body ect?

I would check these guys out. I used to use other brands but once I ponied up for the hb-207 I never looked at another brand. I own a few packs from these guys now. The guys who started this company were in the Israeli forces and they started designing better gear for their needs and other special ops. Then it carried over to the civi market. These things are bullet proof. Other packs the zippers have failed, buckles have broken etc etc. Have not hada single issue with these. I pack a lot of gear and weight distribution is by the the best also.

Ok my love rant is over. Here is the link. Take some time and look around.

The worst pack I owned was a Lowepro Trekker.

http://www.kata-bags.com/index.asp?UP1=OK

Last edited:
Premium Features

Back