• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

My running-board foot-loop injury: Who else has had their foot stuck in the footwell?

Have you had problems with your boots getting trapped in your Polaris ProRide or AXYS

• Total voters

Sunvang

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2010
Norway
This is my solution to the problem. Decided to breake them off today.
Grinded the edges alittle, and it is good to go.

IMG_9880.jpg IMG_9881.jpg IMG_9883.jpg IMG_9884.jpg

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
This is my solution to the problem. Decided to breake them off today.
Grinded the edges alittle, and it is good to go.

i did the same on my pro-ride.
then i reshaped the the piece I cut off, made nice butt joint ends, then took it to a local fab shop and had them rewelded higher up. after that, there was no way I would get my foot stuck and i had the structural rigidity back

idahosledder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Has anyone had any structual weakness from cutting off it all ?
I finally took a portapower to mine and bent them up a bit. I didn't want to cut them totally off because I like to use them.
This seemed like a good compromise.
The right side did crack though, luckily I just bought a Tig for aluminum.
080db5ff0756a3eefabc7ce97e4f9e00.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

S

Snopro_69

Mar 25, 2008
Saskatchewan
Yup I did the same thing by just prying with a long 2x4. . . My right one cracked too but I just left it. Was thinking that's fine if I really get stuck in it hopefully will bend up/break more. First ride with an axys this year for a week in the mountains and didn't have any boot issues with them bent up. You can see how much difference it makes here.
e5203e5154ee5f51289826e022806519.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

S
Oct 4, 2016
north pole alaska
that's enough room to let the boot out and no cost! as soon as I get about 5 of these sleds out my shop im grabbing a 2x4 and going to work on that ankle breaker! I have ben avoiding the saddle do to all of the injuries that have occurred and would love to get back up their! was convinced that I was going to cut it off but I like the 2x4 method.

S

Snopro_69

Mar 25, 2008
Saskatchewan
Only thing I suggest is get a hefty buddy or 2 to sit on and stand on the running board. . When I did it alone I was picking the side of the sled up and not bending it. So I had to do a bit of jerking /bouncing the sled. That's what probly cracked mine.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

R
Sep 22, 2012
I also just tore my rt knee miniscus due to my klim boots being stuck in the wells. My sled rolled to the left and rt foot was caught. Sled pulled me up and over!! I am a size 10 boot so its not big by any means. This is a serious issue as its ending my sledding days! 2 months off work and now the rmk is for sale! My switchback assault has 1 1/2 more boot clearance than the rmk!

S
Oct 4, 2016
north pole alaska
so I started in to this with a 2x4 and like it was posted above without a heavy guy on the sled you are just yarding it around like a rag doll! so I decided to do it a little more methodic. I decided before I proceeded that I was going to lift the toe loop until it started to tear just to figure out how far a guy could lift it without needing to weld or just junk the loop. as you can see I propped a 2x2 under the rail just to help relieve some of the stress on the rail, I cut it long to give some upward pressure. slid a small jack from a old car in the toe loop and proceeded to spread. the first loop I heated with a torch to about 120-130 degrease just enough to be pretty worm but not hot as to try to not temper or harden the aluminum. the other side I did at room temp. I was able to lift the heated side to about 4 3/4-4 7/8 before it tore and when it did it just went leaving inner and outer with no kind of structural integrity left. on the cold side it only made it to 4 3/8- 4 1/2 before the same damage occurred. I am a poor aluminum welder {at best} but do have a welder that welds aluminum. managed to weld it back together good enough that I can jump on either side and get no movement. so if you choose to lift those hooks heat until they are warm and don't lift them more than more than 4 3/4 measured off the rails on a square to the bottom of the toe hook unless you plain on welding or going without the hooks. I pushed mine up until I hade 5in just because well they were all ready tore but it did seem to have plenty of room to not hook your boot in at 4 3/4. just wanted to post this in hopes it would aid someone in not getting hurt or loosing their seasons riding! good luck to all on their way to recovery!

sorry the picts are bad! toe hook on the right it stock and the one with the jack in it is at about 4 3/4 to 4 7/8 and the one with the spool gun on the rail is at 5in

IMG_3047.jpg IMG_3048.jpg IMG_3049.jpg IMG_3050.jpg IMG_3051.jpg IMG_3052.jpg

Last edited:

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
Year 3?

How is Polaris on year 3 of this chassis and still has done NOTHING about this?

A
Jan 6, 2017
Alaska
While it is an issue I do think Polaris needs to address, I strongly believe this is directly attributed to the type of boots people wear. I had a pair of FXR boots that were bulky in the toe area, and got caught and dragged by the sled on more than one occasion Following upgrading to wearing winter wear Muck Boots for riding, I have yet to get caught in the footwell after falling off (I fall off a lot).

That being said, it would help if the foot loops were raised another inch, while also being cognizant of the effects of larger style boots and how the footwell hoops can cause damage.

neverenoughsnow

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 1999
Omaha, Ne.
toe hoop

i dont think they were all that hard to bend up. i found Sumtinwongs response helpful. i stuck lumber under running boards to keep them from bending.Then used boards on top of running board to pry off of, adding extra board thicknesses as needed. i used a long crow bar and just slowly massaged them up a little at a time in different spots. i didnt think the 2x4 worked as well for me.

B
Mar 15, 2012
Never had an issue or even heard of one till my left foot got stuck last sunday. Ankle badly dislocated and broken tib & fib. 2 plates, some screws and laid up for at least 8 weeks. I'll need to figure out a fix for next season, I have 2 2015 pro rmk's

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
Never had an issue or even heard of one till my left foot got stuck last sunday. Ankle badly dislocated and broken tib & fib. 2 plates, some screws and laid up for at least 8 weeks. I'll need to figure out a fix for next season, I have 2 2015 pro rmk's

bummer man.
i cut mine off my pro-ride then had them rewelded up higher

i have not done anything on my axys yet, but i do run the ankle savers.
I think I am just going to cut them off.
possibly run BM boards. $400 is sure less expensive than surgery:face-icon-small-sad

Snowbird11

Lifetime Membership
May 29, 2011
SLC/Samak, Ut

what boots were you running?

i had klim adrenaline's and switched to motorfist alpha's and haven't had an issue since. i'm sure it can still happen but the extra clearance from the boot size change helps.

Premium Features