• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

most reliable mtn sled?

R
Dec 3, 2001
CO
For the most reliable. I don't think you can touch the M7 or M8. I have never seen one towed out. Always run good.

*cough* i towed the same M7 out twice last year.

sorry pauly!

but, it was modded and may have had fuel control issues?

just facts. ;)

but, i also towed out a yamaha (viper??) .... after it ghost rode into a tree. =\ even with a mangled pipe it started right up though! ;)

a simple answer to the topics question... a 4 stroke... statistics prove this. but there is always a give n take. adding reliability, you gain .. well weight. you gain one thing and lose another. basically the way the whole universe works essentially. :p but we don't need to go there atm.

Last edited:
P
Mar 30, 2008
'06 Summit 800ho.

3500 miles of all very hard mountain riding and still dominates the hills. haven't done anything but fill up the tanks. also ride with the same sled with 4000+ miles. same thing never been touched.

N

Nate

Apr 22, 2006
Northeast Wyoming/Mission Viejo California
03, 04, 05, 07, and 08 skidoo are about the most reliable sleds ive seen to date ;)

:rolleyes:

2 stroke id give it to the Mtn Max or the Kingcat 900. Polaris 700 is a pretty reliable machine.

And for the record.....my Turbo M7 was very reliable :) Only prob I had was when I broke my steering post it broke the ground wire and fried my ECU. Other than that, gas and booooooooooost

We got two tripple yamis in the group, never ever had any issues and both have more miles on'em them all ours comb.....but they are just not as much fun to ride in my opinion.....if you on a budget I find a EFI King Kat 900 plenty of power on they also ride very good on the bumps to be a mountain sled.....

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
For the most reliable. I don't think you can touch the M7 or M8. I have never seen one towed out. Always run good.

The guy I rode with has an 05 M7 and he went through 3 motors last year. There are plenty of pics floating around here somewhere.

IMO, you aren't gonna get a un-biased opinion here. A Cat guy is gonna say M-series or a King Kat, a Poo guy is gonna chime in saying Vertical Escape or an IQR, A Doo guy is gonna say a REV and, well you get the picture.

I have seen all of the Big 4 on the wrong end of a tow rope many times. Including my 05 REV. The only problem on my XP was the DPM went out and defaulted to a rich setting and it ran like crap.

You can get a decent sled out of any one of the 3 for 5grand, heck you might even be able to snake an Apex for 5000, if there are any around that don't have a turbo on them. My buddy sold his 08 Nytro for 7000!

***Note*** I didn't read all of the posts before I wrote this, but I'm not gonna say the M-series. I have ridden them before and I don't like the ride. I have ridden Poos though and I did like it. Reliability, that is a tough question. All sleds have their problems.

So, it really comes down to your personal preference and how well you maintain the sled.

Last edited:
L
Nov 26, 2007
Laramie, Wyoming
IMO, you aren't gonna get a un-biased opinion here. A Cat guy is gonna say M-series or a King Kat, a Poo guy is gonna chime in saying Vertical Escape or an IQR, A Doo guy is gonna say a REV and, well you get the picture.
sled.

I'd say that isn't right.

I was a doo guy who switched to poo (have an IQR, wouldn't recommend it to anybody for reliabilty, but that's because of the way I set it up). I vote M-series.

Others on this thread:

Several Doo guys saying Cat.

Several Doo guys saying Yamaha.

Cat guy saying yamaha.

My Dad's a yamaha dude, but he says newer cats.

I think sledders can be objective. Give us some credit here.:)

Last edited:
R
Dec 3, 2001
CO
I'd say that isn't right.

I was a doo guy who switched to poo (have an IQR, wouldn't recommend it to anybody for reliabilty, but that's because of the way I set it up). I vote M-series.

Others on this thread:

Several Doo guys saying Cat.

Several Doo guys saying Yamaha.

Cat guy saying yamaha.

My Dad's a yamaha dude, but he says newer cats.

I think sledders can be objective. Give us some credit here.:)

Several Doo guys suggesting other brands, maybe is something to consider in and of itself... hahah

Honestly, I'm a Doo guy at heart.. but in reguards to this topic, and only considering "reliability", I gave my mostly unbiased suggestion.

But then you have the fanboys and diehards...think of the age old Linux vs MicroSoft debate...that still will never end. hah

P

pumpnlead

Jan 14, 2008
Nebraska Panhandle
I'm suprised no one said anything about the 4 stroke yammies. Heavy but you do have to give them the reliability credit.

Chaz

As far as the engine department goes, there is no question that a well maintained 4 stroke will be much more reliable than a well maintained 2 stroke. I would say if you want reliability then go with a 4 stroke yami. The reason I went with the 700 dragon over the 800 dragon was simply for reliabilty, haven't had any issues yet, but we'll see...

ndmtnsledder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
ND
I'd say for the 5000 range you should be able to pick up a clean M7, not sure if you can get a Dragon for that but any of the late model RMKs are good, also the 600 Rev seems to be pretty bulletproof. The M7 in my experience are bulletproof especially if you leave them stock the EFI takes care of the rest.

Premium Features