• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

michigan U.P. snow depths + riding conditions

L
Just in case anyone was wondering, the Houghton lift bridge is not open yet. I called the city and they said it probably won't open until we get a few more big snows so there's enough snow to get the groomers across it.

Just because the bridge is not "officially" open does not mean you cannot use it! THey usually don't put the mats down (the bridge is always down) until the shiping channel stops being operational (they don't need to lift the bridge any more for the season).

We cross it all the time without the mats, it is a little dangerous as it is a 2x2 metal grid, but go slow and watch your skis and you will be fine.

We are heading up to Mass City right now. Speaking wiht people up there it is snowing like crazy up there! The weather forecast for today is 12-18 of Lake Effect Snow!

If you can get away, I would consider it! There are rooms available at:
www.thebluff.biz in Mass City
Peppermill Rentals in Rockland
and I believe the Adventure Motel in Mass City

A couple pics from webcams on the John Dee Northwoods Cam Network:

twinlakes.jpg
Krupps in Twin Lakes

snowcam.jpg
Lake Effect Supply in Mass City

camera.jpg
Porcupine Lodge in White Pine

See you up there! (Will post pictures when we get back!)

C

CuzzinOlaf

Dec 12, 2007
Just confirmed the gate is still shut on the Houghton bridge. I believe they are working on getting the crossing open. You CAN NOT ride a sled accross the bridge.

It will be opened soon but isn't covered yet.

Last edited:

Sxrlar

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Wisconsin
Just a reminder,the Adventure Motel, DOES NOT SUPPORT THE LOCAL CLUB!

Also, I would recomend Krupp's Resort in Twin Lakes. Awesome place to stay.:D

L
Lots of snow up here! 15" or so last night clear riding day today! Hopefully more LES shortly!

(I have confirmed what Olaf said, they are doing something different this year with the bridge - the gate is closed!)

It is over the hood deep or just about! Twin Lakes seems to have a little more snow than Mass City. There is no base but lots of fluff! Off trail isn't all exciting but we are breaking in a new sled so getting a few miles under the belt is always good! See you guys up here!

Some pictures from this morning in Mass City:

90470.jpg

90473.jpg

M
Jan 20, 2008
Whats it looking like up in the rockland area??? How much has it snowed and whats expected thru this weekend.....thinkin about leavin sunday morning and get the ich out of me. Is it worth a 5 hour drive yet?????

L
Sep 15, 2008
did not see this
yes we will be
look us up
m8
orange xp
assult
d8 155
switchback
and a few more!!

yeah,
we saw you guys we were in cabin 3, black m6, orange m7,black m8. you guys had quite the crew. i will be posting pics later today just got back now and am unpacking. i was exited to see how others rides went so i jumped on quick. i hope you all post some pics when you get home as well. i will fill in on our ride as i post pics when i get settled in. check back later...:devil:

M
Jan 20, 2008
Hey just wondering what kind of snow was recieved today (Sunday) out of this so called Huge storm.....and what the conditions are up there now. I am planning on coming up this thursday the 17th and just wondering what to expect? Thanks everyone

T

TurboMatt

Mar 23, 2008
We boonedocked in the White Pine/Bergland area all weekend. There is a lot of snow out there. I'd say in most backcountry areas: 3ft. of snow. You really couldn't ask for any better riding. I'd say we got about 14" of new snow thoughout the weekend.

C

CuzzinOlaf

Dec 12, 2007
Hey just wondering what kind of snow was recieved today (Sunday) out of this so called Huge storm.....and what the conditions are up there now. I am planning on coming up this thursday the 17th and just wondering what to expect? Thanks everyone

It warmed up on Sunday and rained a little. Monday it dropped to single digits and snowed a decent amount. I rode the powerlines a little but there wasn't much base on Saturday and Sunday. I would bet it is better with the new snow and warm weather. The seasonal roads around Twin were definitely a blast.

Premium Features