• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Man Cave/Trophy Room...Let er Rip!

Back on track this weekend, we have all the trusses ready to rock, just need the weather to cooperate. Vegas was...interesting. The problem with Vegas is that there is no "off" button. It has taken me most of the week to get back to normal. Should have some pics this weekend. Of the man cave, that is.

Updated pics

Well, we got the trusses set...barely. Then we had a complete sh*& show and about lost the whole enchilada. You can see the progression of the weather from the pics. The last pics were taken about 1 minute before a severe t storm hit with some 60 mph winds, maybe more. It was the worst possible scenario for erecting trusses.
settingtrusses.jpg

northelevation.jpg

eastelevation.jpg

inside.jpg

As the weekend warrior project continues...
Weather pending, we will be attempting to get the building enclosed and ready for some shingles. Have some pretty complex framing to complete the tie-in between the old roof and the new, gable end wall framing, platform framing, and roof sheathing. I am hoping we can get all of this done, and maybe even install the windows and doors. Then I can turn it over to some subcontractors for a while and take a little break. I will plug back in when we are ready for some finishes. Going fairly well so far, although it is difficult balancing my "real" job and this little project. The goal is to have it ready for hunting season. Wishful thinking perhaps....

So just curious, don't builders typically build the roof first so that way if it rains its not all puddling up inside? I saw that you built the walls first and was curious.

Top Notch is correct...very difficult to set trusses without walls:face-icon-small-win

It has been killing me I haven't been able to get the roof sheeted, but like I said earlier, balancing my real job and this project has been challenging. Luckily, we have a very heavy duty subfloor and it has been able to withstand some moisture. I am actually typing this as I wait for the dang rain to subside so we can get back to work. Last few weeks the weather has been beautiful on the weekdays and horrible on the weekends. I hate it when it gets stuck in that cycle. Onward and upward I guess.

Ha I didn't mean the complete walls I meant putting the sheets over the skeleton, but after looking at the pictures it appears that was all done at the same time probably.

Nice build -

We are planning our basement and I have done a bunch of reading on Home Theater stuff - you might want to consider two subwoofers (.2 system) for a room that large. It all depends on your appetite for bass and what you will be watching/listening to though.

Siding

Got some siding on and the interior is pretty much finished with Mechanical, Electrical, and Plumbing. Waiting for a state electrical inspection on Monday, then it's time for some spray foam insulation. We then will install a bunch of plywood sheathing for hanging mounts and turn loose with some sheetrock. Been kind of slow on the progress, been relegated to weekend work since I have been really busy with my "real" job.

photo-7.jpg

A window in that peak would look pretty cool.

We thought a bunch about that, and wrestled with it for a while. But, since it is a trophy room, we decided against it. Sunlight is harmful to mounts and we felt the benefits didn't outweigh negatives. If he were selling the house soon, or if it wasn't such a specific room, we would have put a window up there no doubt. We will put a louver up there to pretty the facade up, but no window. We still have a fairly complex fireplace to frame up, and some other miscellaneous framing to complete this next weekend. Sheetrock will be next, and then we will start on the finishes. I will take an actual camera there next weekend and take some pics with it. All of the previous pics were with my iphone.

I thought about those too. The challenge is that the window would have to be mounted fairly high on the gable end, and the ceilings are about 20 feet tall at the peak. It would be extremely inconvenient to try and open and close the shade. They make motorized shades...but hey, it isn't the Taj Majal:face-icon-small-hap

Why not just frame it, put it in, then block it off. Or at least frame it so that you can easily cut it open and put one in without a lot of work..

Just a suggestion..

Premium Features

Back