• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

M8 Turbo clutching help needed

P

pengilly

Dec 21, 2008
Iron Range
I have a 2010 M8 PG Turbo My set up from Vohk for trees riding is perfect. But at 1350' elevation it was over reving at 8470-8500 @ 7.5 lbs boost so I called one of our site recommended vendors and ordered two new clutches ,a primary with a billet spider and a new secondary both balanced. The first problem is the secondary shows up with a helix with no reverse notch, no biggie just more screwing around He sends me MDS weights all"set up" for the primary. The MDS weights bring my engagement from 38-3900 to 5300 and my rpm is now 8550. He sends me a new helix after telling me the best helix is a 36 and nothing else works as good, it's a 38? I'm thinking he's sending 40/36 like he said in a earlier conversation I get a 38. I try the 38 and have to say the stock cat 36 with no reverse notch pulled better but it seat of the pants and you know that can be wrong. So, right now all I want is around a 80-85 gram stock cat weight . I had 75 in it from Vohk. The MDS are 80 now but are farther off than I was with the 75 gram cat weights. I think the cat 36 with orange spring and shift assist works good. I ordered the new clutches because I had a spider break and the secondary bushing was toast. FYI any recommendations?

Whimp

Lifetime Membership
Oct 4, 2012
Laurel Montana
clutching

why did you change if you were under the 8500 mark? I would ride it like I stole it until it hit the rev limiter..The HO motor likes RPM..VOhK has a lot of experience with these and knows what works..... You will be chasing your tail for a long time trying to make something work that isn't tested and true on your given system.... I would go back to what you had and if you think you are too high in the RPM Range then just add a touch of primary weight........good luck

P

pengilly

Dec 21, 2008
Iron Range
Your so right and thats exactly what I did. I do not want to shim the spider with the MDS weights to get the engagment rpms down I just want to get the revs down from 8450-8500 to 81-82 thats all I wanted. The vendor recommended this....total fail. Im back to Vohks set up it engageing at 38-3900 again and reving to 8450-8500. If its ok to rev it this high im fine. I thought it might pull harder at 8100. I will say the MDS weights seemed to pull pretty hard but the engagment was the deal breaker along with it reving even higher with 5 grams more weight.

A

ArcticJunkie

Mar 16, 2009
Nashwauk, MN
I have a 13m8 no turbo and live pretty close to you I run the mds I cant remember the wieght but I have it loaded with the long hex bolt and the 2 washers in the tip and then the short solid allen in the center the spring is a speedwerx its like a dark pink or something like that I got it from racingstation on here.

Also looking into turbo myself how do you like it around home here as far as tuning and evereything?

P

pengilly

Dec 21, 2008
Iron Range
I live on Swan just give me a call and come try it out. It's set up from Vohk for tree riding. It's spot on. The sled never gives me any trouble except for clutches which I replaced both with new this year had RS balance them and put in a billet spider. It's a blast. I'm at 7-1/2 lbs and run 50/50 110 here and a couple gallons at elevation. I'm just a little disappointed with the money I spent because a vendor said he knew just what I needed and he couldn't be farther off. I'm done trying to give this guy the benefit of the doubt he's either to busy or don't really know ****.

Jeff

P

pengilly

Dec 21, 2008
Iron Range
Vendor got ahold of me, parts got mixed up new stuff on the way. Everything is good. Will report back how 80 gram cat weights work.

P

pengilly

Dec 21, 2008
Iron Range
Still waiting.....as the snow melts. Im pretty sure the parts never got sent out as promised on March 25th....we'll see.

tjcatman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 22, 2008
Greenville Ca.
clutching

I woulkd call Steve at MDS and talk to him. I have MDS on my m8 RG and had to change the weights a couple of times to get it where I wanted it but it's crazy how well they work. He is a welth of information and will help you out a ton. Also the weight in the primary is only part of the engagement equation. The spring is the other part. MDS weights will most likely require a different spring than what you were running. Call Steve

Premium Features