• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

M1000 piped vs. M8 Turbo

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
I'm on the hunt for my next sled.

I have to wonder how a 2009 M1000 with performance goodies would perform compared to a 2009 M8 turbo for boondocking and hill climbing?

I'm looking for a sled featuring low maintenance, non tempermental, rock solid dependable, flickable, very high power to weight ratio, and as light as possible.

Which one of these two sleds would better suit the purposes of a guy used to riding a Yamaha for reliability and dependability?

Thanks

Pump gas turbo up to 200hp, piped m1000 180hp and 30lb heavier. Race gas 260hp no contest. Turbo,s don't lose as much hp at elevation either. Not putting down a piped m1000. they work very well for a simple mod. I am taking out a 09 pump gas turbo tomorrow to get tunned in. Will let you know how it goes.

Pump gas turbo up to 200hp, piped m1000 180hp and 30lb heavier. Race gas 260hp no contest. Turbo,s don't lose as much hp at elevation either. Not putting down a piped m1000. they work very well for a simple mod. I am taking out a 09 pump gas turbo tomorrow to get tunned in. Will let you know how it goes.
Hugh????

In all aspects it is just what you really want. I had a m1000 last year with slp pipe, boondocker box cutler clutching and a few other goodies. I rode with a m8 turbo (big boost) and there was no comparison on the 2. the m8 was awesome in every aspect rather it be boondocking climbing or flat out ripping down the trail! Awesome sled i loved the m1000 and have no complaints but this year it is a m8 big boost for me not to mention with the turbo and all the other goodies stil 50+ pounds lighter might i add! the m8 had no issues what so ever last year with almost 2000 miles!

I went to Revelstoke with a Linderman built m1000 and a pump gas turbo built by Shain Stanger(I had to go back to the truck because of a coolant leak)but the boys said race after race accross a little pond it was m1000. Linderman built motors are as turn key as they come.

a motor breathing from an artificial atmosphere will make more power, and wont be effected by elevation (to a certain degree). thats why planes and heli's are boosted. as for reliability, so long as you can withstand the urge to play with the boost, you should be ok. you have to treat it right as well. things like letting the turbo spool down before shutting down the motor, and keeping the oil clean are essential. it would require a bit more maintenance, and probably wear out quicker than a stock sled, but if its set up right you shouldn't have to much to worry about on a day to day basis. as for weight... ever tried picking up a turbo charger? the extra parts you add to the m8 would probably put it in the same weight class as the m1000.

...not to mention with the turbo and all the other goodies stil 50+ pounds lighter might i add! the m8 had no issues what so ever last year with almost 2000 miles!

sorry, i didn't read snoman8's post before i posted. ignore what i said about the extra parts putting the m8 up there with the m1000 in terms of weight. the guys that are currently boosting will be your best source of info. i'm just up on the theory, not that practice. i heard that the turbo sleds go through belts quite quickly. any truth to that?

Thanks for the great info guys.

I have been riding with guys on turbo Yammy's for years. Granted they were the first generation turbos and they all had issues. One thing I always said was "turbo guys always have a theory why their sled isn't running just right". I have spent so many hours working on boosted sleds in the mountains that it makes me sick to think about all the riding time I have wasted.

I know the new turbos are MUCH more relaible and advanced than the first generation sled turbos but, from past experience I still have a little bit of skepticism.

I'd only be interested in a pump gas version but, I tell you from my experiences

"Boost is a gateway drug"!

First it's innocent enough, then pretty soon it's "how many pounds of boost are you running"? Then you're off to low compression pistons, low compression heads, additional head gaskets, race gas in increasing doses, as your sleds reliability hangs in the balance.

Huh, I guess I didn't realize I was so jaded about turbos....................... Don't get me wrong. I love them when they work and hate them when they don't. Yes, there really isn't much more in life as exciting as riding a boosted sled up a hill you'd have no prayer of making on a naturally aspisrated sled.

Frosty

As Far as belts go you will go through them quickly if you let them get to hot like a long long drag race i have seen them blow but just normal boondocking, shots at the hill you should be fine... but yea i think there is some truth to that won't deny it. one good thing about my 1000 last year did not go through one and i hope i keep it close to that this year. who the h*** can afford those dang things anymore! I just wish i could have afforded to keep the 1000 as well as build a turbo then i could have the best of both worlds!

I'm on the hunt for my next sled.

I have to wonder how a 2009 M1000 with performance goodies would perform compared to a 2009 M8 turbo for boondocking and hill climbing?

Which one of these two sleds would better suit the purposes of a guy used to riding a Yamaha for reliability and dependability?

Thanks

There is no, I mean no comparison between the two! I rode with a M8t last year against my modified M1k and I got my a$$ handed to me. (In every aspect) If you want a boondocker, you got the wrong sled. An XP would be far better suited. An M1k is like a muscle car. (fair in all catagories)

"I'm looking for a sled featuring low maintenance, non tempermental, rock solid dependable, flickable, very high power to weight ratio, and as light as possible. "

Who isnt? None of this is synonamous with turbo. Buy an M1k and put a turbo on it and just put up with the down side:beer;:beer;:beer;

Hmm should be an interesting year, we will have good info to pass along, from our Pro-Lite Sled for 09' we will be riding;

1-M1200 D&D Single pipe, weighs 426 dry, we are going to peel off a few more lbs...

1-M8 OVS Race Gas Turbo, 430 dry, trying to peel more weight there as well

1-M1200 BMP Twin Pipe, not done yet.

SOOOO I will be posting reports as we ride throughout the year!!

Mike
BDX

BMP 1200 in an M1000 and lighten 'er up a bit and that'd b a keeper!! There is no replacement for displacement!

Besides Boost that is , the M8T would stomp the NA 1000 . Unless you bought the wrong brand turbo . So i guess the only replacment for displacement , is to build your own air supply .:beer;

There is no, I mean no comparison between the two! I rode with a M8t last year against my modified M1k and I got my a$$ handed to me. (In every aspect) If you want a boondocker, you got the wrong sled. An XP would be far better suited. An M1k is like a muscle car. (fair in all catagories)

"I'm looking for a sled featuring low maintenance, non tempermental, rock solid dependable, flickable, very high power to weight ratio, and as light as possible. "

Who isnt? None of this is synonamous with turbo. Buy an M1k and put a turbo on it and just put up with the down side:beer;:beer;:beer;

Just wondering I thought Heston road a turbo m1000 or was it a M8 either way what pulls ive watch him do on video looked sweet!

^^^ Its an M8T and it sounds like it doesnt run all that well . Just imagine what a perfectly tunned one could do . It sounds like he cant hold it wide open .:beer;

Premium Features

Back