• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

M1000 belt eating moster

AKhunter,

What dealer did you buy the sled from? Brad at ASAC seams to be fairly good with clutching and belt issues. I run his secondary set up on my M8 and have 800 miles on the same belt. Is the string coming out of only one side? Is it rolling the belt over?

JasonAK

;)
what? belt problems on a cat you say? You better rethink this thread........the almighty cat has no problems ever.......most reliable sled ever built, period!!!! did you not get the memo?

Hmmmmmm rather realign some things (clutches,motor) than RERING every year!!!!;):D;):beer;

Dealer

I asked for more help from the dealer. The new plan is to gear down to M8 gearing.... I really think this will help . I know on the old chain drive sleds that was the first thing we did. I don't need my M1000 to do 80+ mph. Next I plan to put a PC fan in to help with the air circulation problem. I have tryed to line the clutches up like the dealer said too , but my new plan is to take the primary spring out, clamp the primary at full shift out with the belt on, and then try to move the motor so it's slighty angled forward. (As well as line it up with the secondary) This worked on the old sleds, I'm just not sure how easy it will be to move the motor. I knew if I posted I'd get a lot of replys...thanks for the help. The dealer is not so sure about the side vents , and neither am I, or I'd have then already. I am putting two SLP round vents in up under the speedo though, and the fan. The alders are like a jungle here early season , and think I'd loose a side vent every ride. Were do I find info on the floating secondary set up, and extra motor mount??

:face-icon-small-sho OMG not the amazing m1000 i dont believe it...

That’s a shocking statement from you. You should be used to it. You know riding a ski doo!
I heard that you have to have a pit crew to ride with you to change all of the belts on the unmighty XP!LMFAO:face-icon-small-ton

I put the Two flow rites in front of the clutches and the side vents on and you can not believe how much cooler the clutches would run. I have over a 900 miles on the belt right know and it still looks good.

There is a well known problem with many M1ks. Do a search and read about the "black pen" trick. I believe DD secondaries need to be aligned at speed. If someone has done a floating secondary on a DD I would sure like to see that.

I was having problems last year with my 07 1000, about 6-7 belts in 1650 hard miles. My y pipe was cracked and my diamond drive was leaking a little oil causing my belt to slip. Once I sealed, cleaned, and aligned the clutches all is good.

I would use side vents before using a fan... Not saying the fan won't help, but then you have more draw on the lighting coil and you need a place for the air to exit. IMO, side vents will draw more air then a fan with no other venting.
The 046 is a harder compound and will net you a gain of 100-200 rpm, and is half the price.
I run the slp side vents and they have taken a beating and never had a problem with them being damaged.

YOU CAN'T FLOAT A DIAMOND DRIVE!!!!!!!!!!!! It's fixed to the splined shaft!!!
Please fill me in on how a person goes about aligning the clutches by moving the motor?

Last edited:
I know some guys that i ride with that were running some side panel vents that were molded plastic, I think they were boondocker but not sure, they are tuff though.

I laughed when i read this. My new M8 popped a cord in under 30 miles. Cat wont cover it. I put a new belt on, rechecked the setup on the clutches and it seems my driven needed to be moved in a bit more. Flow rite in the shock tower, Sundown Solar Gill vents... Buddy said it best when he said "Well, if mine eats belts, im trading it in on an XP, at least doo doo warranty's their belts" haha.

M series

Hard to get a handle on belt issues on an M1000 when they are geared stock for flat land trail riding.

If you try to ride the steep and deep you need to gear down.

Don't use M8 gearing its still too high. Need 54/66 or so.

I've geared M8's 53/67. Still not as low as what most guys gear their King Kats.

Wildcat's / T Cats / all the ZRT's /800 /900 Mtn cats all geared to high stock and all had smoking belt issues 1st year, you need something in the 20/41 ratio in the old chain case and you're way higher than that ratio in the DD chain case. Just a product of the old flatland Thief River Falls production, always wanting to make sure you are the fastest cat across the lake.

So how did Doo mitigate their smoking belt issue this year? you had to gear them way way down to ride the hills.

yes i would try the gearing the m8 is better but i can still hit 85mph down the road and get rid of that 44 40 helix and try a straight 36 and load up the primay clutch

That’s a shocking statement from you. You should be used to it. You know riding a ski doo!
I heard that you have to have a pit crew to ride with you to change all of the belts on the unmighty XP!LMFAO:face-icon-small-ton

No xp for me but dont worry about it i can change the belts by my self because the poo riders cant help cause there at the bottom with a broken crank and the cat guys have a broken diamond drive and brag to each other about how much better there new sled is and how much faster then last year because cat changed the decals. haha :face-icon-small-win

No xp for me but dont worry about it i can change the belts by my self because the poo riders cant help cause there at the bottom with a broken crank and the cat guys have a broken diamond drive and brag to each other about how much better there new sled is and how much faster then last year because cat changed the decals. haha :face-icon-small-win

Nice try Pud! I have read enough of your post to know that all you want to do is get an reaction. I think you need a new past time!:D

Premium Features

Back