• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

LSB - Cooke City Snow Conditions 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Rating
4.00 star(s)
L

LSB

we got pounded over the past couple of days. this is from the avy reports

"
The mountains around Cooke City and the Washburn Range:
Can you say POWDER! Since yesterday morning the mountains around Cooke City have received over 18 inches of low density snow. In most cases 18” on new snow equals well over an inch of water (SWE), but currently the Fisher Creek Snotel site is only recording .5 inches of SWE in the past 24 hours. This translates to cold smoke powder. A skier in Cooke City confirmed this saying yesterday was by far the deepest day of the season.
Fortunately .5 inches of SWE is not an overbearing load for the snowpack to support. Another positive factor is this storm came in with very little wind keeping slab development minimal. This means avalanche activity will likely stay confined to the new snow. However, 18+ inches is a tremendous amount of snow no matter how you measure it. Slopes steeper than 35 degrees and any slope that has been affected by the wind will likely produce human triggered avalanches. In deep conditions like these staying out from avalanche run out zones and avoiding terrain traps such as gullies and creek beds is advised.
Today, human triggered avalanches are likely on wind loaded slopes and slopes steeper than 35 degrees where the avalanche danger is rated CONSIDERABLE. Less steep slopes without a wind load have a MODERATE avalanche danger.

L

LSB

WE ARE GETTING DUMPED ON!!!

"The southern mountains are getting fire hosed. Over two feet has fallen in 48 hours and it’s still snowing."

Just remember guys that will raise the Avy danger! This is heavy snow and a lot of it quickly. Its pounding as we speak.
_________

On another note, thanks to the guys who are calling up taking advantage of our specials. Check them out if you haven't already.

L

LSB

3-20-11

I just got back from a quick TotW ride. We played around Clay Butte and also on the D Loop area. Ive got some pics of the ride. It was a great day and only saw two other riders while we were out all day. Snow depth varied depending on slope face, shade, etc, but no area was total concrete even in the more windblown parts. There should be good riding up there late into the spring, unless we get a super warm wave.

cc32011a.jpg

cc32011b.jpg

cc32011c.jpg

cc32011d.jpg

cc32011e.jpg

cc32011f.jpg

Last edited:
L

LSB

This was yesterday, we rode sheep creek, miller on the west side and crown butte. It was good everywhere all day. Yes the warmer temps will settle things up quicker than normal but thats what happens at this time of the year. Its going to start being spring riding, but with the amount of snow we have received this year it should last quite a while.

cc32311a.jpg

cc32311b.jpg

cc32311c.jpg

cc32311d.jpg

cc32311e.jpg

cc32311f.jpg

L

LSB

I left town for a week and just got back. The snow is ridiculous. I really don't remember seeing this much snow in a long time if ever since I've lived here. There are years we have a lot but when you start running out of places to plow it away and dispose of it you know your REALLY have a lot. There is more in the forecast as well. Unless something drastic happens you'll be riding here in June if you want, might be some trailering at that point, but doable.

Im just scared at this point of a quick warm up and we all wash into Yellowstone :D.

SPRING SPECIALS (Excluding Hog Roast, Corn Fest or Holidays)

Special 2 April 1- May 10: 2 Queens 2 People $65 a night. If you stay 2 nights your 3rd night is free.If you find a deal you think is better give me a call at 1-888-838-1190 and let me try to beat it. We still have our suites and house rental with kitchens which I can bring down in price a little.

Stay 3 nights at $65, $65, and Free
Stay 4 nights at $55, $55, $55 and Free
If you want to stay longer let us know.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Premium Features