• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Los Angeles

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
This is the beginning of I suspect the only guy to care about Los Angeles area riding.

LET THE ABUSE BEGIN.

Oh ... one to two feet of snow above 6500 feet from weekend storm.
Frazier, Big Bear, Waterman, Wrightwood, Mt. Baldy, and 138 back side has snow.

Was told by forest service not enough to ride on designated areas.

Did not go yet but forecast to have more snow later this week. Flew over Wrightwood, Big Bear and lifts are in full swing.

Will try and go on Saturday for "search and rescue" training.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
I live in Newbury Park.

All the riding in Soutern california is just a few miles of trails with the exception of training in Big Bear Lake seasonal weekend "winter search and rescue" training.

There are two designated motorized winter snow areasfor LA. one about a 1,000 acreas on the back way to big bear. The other is in the Frazier Park area which I never found even with the "help" of the park rangers.

Also, some closed forest roads around Lake Arrowhead are designated snowmobile trails.

Also, Caltrans can close a road and designate it for snowmobile use. This can happen around Wrightwood and Mt Wilson especially near the off road motorized trails.

The next closest place would be Bakersfield (and the Bakersfield chap[ter knows more) then on the east side Huntington Lake, sno-parks. About 40 miles closer than Mammoth. You can also sled on the road at Bristlecone National forest on the way to Mammoth.

Bakersfield area has lots of trails.

I am going to Mammoth around the 12 of Jan to sled ... I hope.

Nice thread. I live up in Santa Clarita. I rode Sherman Pass yesterday up by Kernville. With only the one snowfall it was better than the 3x I rode up there last year. Snow level was not rideable but all the way down to 3500 ft.
Off trail riding was a no go but I put in 75 miles of road/trail riding. Anywhere from 2"-20" depending on where we were. There are a few down trees between the vista and warming hut, passable but could be a hazard to someone dazing off.

G

GarlandM8

Dec 1, 2007
Blanchard, ID
There's more of us than maybe we know..... maybe not, I love the looks you get hauling the sleds around. Try taking one to DMV to inspect and register, boy that was an adventure.

I'm over by Cajon Pass, between Wrightwood and Arrowhead. Sherman/Greenhorn are about the closest (around Lake Isabella area), couple of trails around Big Bear and Arrowhead aren't really worth the haul if you're coming from a distance.

Gonna try to get back up to Sherman New Years weekend if some more storms come in, then it's off to N. Idaho on Jan. 11.

Maybe we can get some South State rides together.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
taking one to DMV to inspect and register, boy that was an adventure.

I had to have one inspected along with my trailer. The trailer is a 2008 model and the DMV lady could not understand how I can buy a 2008 in the year 2007.

Now with the sled. After a half hour at DMV they said noone was qualified to inspect and to go get it smogged and take it to the CHP.

Another 1/2 hour to argue don't need smog that it's a two stroke.

Onto the CHP ! Holy crap they were not happy campers. CHP wanted to know the legal code stating it did not need smog. Called the DMV where I came from and two hours later at the CHP they came out looked at it matched the serial numbers and I was done. The inspection for the sled and trailer took 8 hours.

Where is Sherman Pass?

Last edited:
G

GarlandM8

Dec 1, 2007
Blanchard, ID
Where is Sherman Pass?

Northeast of Bakersfield, North of Lake Isabella/Kernville. Unload around 8000', runs around 9200' at the vista. Groomed and ungroomed trails, some meadows and lots of trees to boondock through. Not a real extreme area as far as hills, chutes, and bowls, but you can find interesting stuff. Get up to Bald Mtn. fire lookout and you can see from Tehachipis to Whitney. There are maps and snowmobile trail signs and a warming hut at Paloma Meadow.
The Sugarloafers Club out of Bakersfield keep up the area, check out their website, www.sugarloafers.com and click on riding areas for good directions and maps to the area.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
. There are maps and snowmobile trail signs and a warming hut at Paloma Meadow.
The Sugarloafers Club out of Bakersfield keep up the area, check out their website, www.sugarloafers.com and click on riding areas for good directions and maps to the area.

Thank you. Found the map and website.

Do you come in from the 14 east side or the 99 Bakerfield west side.
Since I come up the 5 and stay on 5 to 99 then 178 or go the 5 to 14 then to 178?

Map shows parking on Bakersfield side which makes sense because the club is based in Bakersfield.

CAn you spend the night anywhere? ... Like the warming hut?

G

GarlandM8

Dec 1, 2007
Blanchard, ID
Thank you. Found the map and website.

Do you come in from the 14 east side or the 99 Bakerfield west side.
Since I come up the 5 and stay on 5 to 99 then 178 or go the 5 to 14 then to 178?

Map shows parking on Bakersfield side which makes sense because the club is based in Bakersfield.

CAn you spend the night anywhere? ... Like the warming hut?

From LA area you'd come up the 5 to Bakersfield and then the west side of Isabella into Kernville. I come up the 395 to the 178 on the East side of Isabella, but all roads end in Kernville, then north from there to staging area.

For the most part they plow to the staging area, sometimes lower if snow is lower. They park the groomer there, kiosk with maps, and a porta-potti, and can park quite a few rigs/trailers.

I've stayed at the stage area in my camper overnight a few times with no problems, and yes you could stay at the hut if you packed in gear. There is a wood stove and some cut firewood, emergency gear, stokes basket, tables, etc....

I go up the 14 to the 178 as well. I've driven across the 178 and headed east to Lake Isabella only once. I didn't think it would be too great w/ a sled trailer, it's definitely doable. Check a map but you also might be able to take the 155 in from Bakersfield, and that would take you by Greenhorn/Sugarloaf...I think. Never spent the night, but I would like to stay in the warming hut...be fun.

415small.jpg

J
Nov 30, 2007
Clovis, California
man...look at all the so-cal boys! don...you're gonna have to bring the crew up to fresno for a strike. we're only another 1.5 hours north of bakersfield and we've got a little bit better terrain than down by isabella.

good to see you guys get on here!

jeff

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Your area is really nice to ride.

I am gonna go up to Bear Valley right after new years.

Then to Mammoth the 11th of January.

I hope you have several nice storms before the year ends and I go up there.

man...look at all the so-cal boys! don...you're gonna have to bring the crew up to fresno for a strike. we're only another 1.5 hours north of bakersfield and we've got a little bit better terrain than down by isabella.

good to see you guys get on here!

jeff

Just say the word...please...I've yet to explore up that way. +74 miles yesterday @ Sherman. Lots of tree riding/exporing. Several bare patches on the road now a ways past the hut. The first couple miles were groomed and that is it. Still decent coverage. Keep your fingers crossed for more snow.
Tommy

G

GarlandM8

Dec 1, 2007
Blanchard, ID
Anyone down here want to ride Sherman on Sunday? Gotta do the In-law X-mas stuff on saturday, so I'll have to hit the closest snow for a Sunday ride.

I'll be at the Sherman Rd. stage area at 9am- Charcoal F250 and blue Summit. Let me know, would be fun to meet up with some "so-cal boys".

mike

I've got a tight week here @ work but, Sunday sounds tempting.
Hopefully the storm picks up some. A good foot would be real nice right for the weekend. Last Sunday it was getting beat up, I think we tracked up any of the logging trails that weren't hit up previously. 3 rides b4 Christmas would be sweet as well.

G

GarlandM8

Dec 1, 2007
Blanchard, ID
Alta Sierra Ski area on west side of Isabella is showing 6-8" new as of 9pm last night and snowing heavy. Hopefully they'll update this morning, and talk of more coming in on Thursday. Sherman is higher elevation so 12"+ is a pretty good bet. The remote site at Ponderosa is showing a snowpack of 2 feet, so things are looking up :beer;

Premium Features