• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

KTM300XC Build Project

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
The 300 is not a so called peaky engine like the 250. Get a 300 for summer. They are the bomb ! They don't push in the corners like a 4 stroke, are lighter and the power is nice and user friendly. The 300 feels like its on rails in the bush ! It will boost your confidence if your coming from a 450 !

I tried my old 450EXC this last summer and i felt like i was on a ole jalopy ha ha ! (sorry M5) It really is the ultimate woods weapon ! With a Rekluse even easier to ride, its called cheating LOL (Not that its my thing ha ha)

Last edited:

kinneyt

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Red Wing, MN
I rode a snowbike last week at my cabin in CO... Loved it...

Now I want to get one.

Thinking about a new 300 but I'm not a great dirt bike rider.. I have a 350xcf that I ride in the summer. Most 2 strokes are a little revvy for me. My theory(that I hope you guys have some opinions on) is a 300 with a Rekluse can be ridden slow too?

I would want this for summer as well..

Let me know your thoughts on this one.
Thanks

I have riden a 300 once and really enjoyed it. With a Rekluse I think it would be great.
Call Pat at Crosstown Cycle http://www.crosstowncycle.com/2013KTM300-XC-inventory.htm?id=518872&used=1&vin=VBKMXN235DM330103 for a real nice lightly used 2013 KTM 300. I know the guy that has it on consingment there.

J

jeffc

Mar 3, 2010
this build is about 8 months late for me....

Amazing bike. I'd like to see a video with the bike really pushing it's limits.

I thought about doing a 300 snowbike and the dealer shot that one down....Looks like I got sold but have a 300 and an sx now! Seeing this bike now would have saved me some dough.

R

relentless rider

Jan 25, 2009
in the mountians western mt
Amazing bike. I'd like to see a video with the bike really pushing it's limits.

I thought about doing a 300 snowbike and the dealer shot that one down....Looks like I got sold but have a 300 and an sx now! Seeing this bike now would have saved me some dough.

dealer said the same to me, but I'm hard headed and had to find out my self. Im very happy with the 300 both snow and dirt..its cool pass n your buddy's on big 4s two gears higher in a climb though the trees with the bike just a singing the best tune ever:present:

tillbuilt

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Henderson, Co.
Mtn-doo,

You have inspired me to build a 2014 KTM 300XC, Timbersled SX kit

picture.php

I was ordering parts today and found I didn't have all the PN I needed.
What is the Moose # for the Eline pipe guard? I have the Eline #
What is the KTM PN for the SX head I should use?

This combo needed a 15t countershaft sprocket. It is TIGHT, but it will stretch. The 14t was hitting the track.

I also had to remove most of the air box and run a pod filter.

Thanks

tillbuilt

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Henderson, Co.
I just heard back from Eline. Their PN is MPG300P2 Moose has not picked up this product yet, but they will carry it in 3 weeks.

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Hey Toby,
Sorry for the late response. Busy Busy...

Contact Slavens Racing. Order the 300SX head from them. Also the ECU you want is the 2013 XC ECU, also from Slavens Racing. The 2013 XC ECU is excellent. Advanced in the low and mid with a ton of over-rev. The 2014 pulled timing this year to compensate for their new head. With the 300SX head, you should swap back to the 2013 XC ECU. I see you found the pipe guard. The Pro Circuit pipe is magic on that engine. Red exhaust spring, "flush" with the case or 2.5 turns in from all the way out. Gearing, 12 counter to a 17 on the jack shaft, then a 16 over a 17 in the chain case will give you 13.5" rollout. Call me with any questions

Last edited:
M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
I did not on the first build. I have a new one starting soon. I think it is a great idea. I had SLP in Idaho Falls, Id coat pipes for me in the past. I will be doing this one.

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
I was reading some ECU results for the next 300 build and came across this article by Motocross Action. It is a good explanation of why the 300SX is so "fun" as a ST, tree blaster. This explanation hits it perfectly....

Q: HOW FAST IS THE 2013 KTM 250SX?

A: The KTM 250SX is the king of deuce-and-a-half smokers. By four-stroke standards, it is quick, explosive and difficult to manage. But by two-stroke standards, it has a sweet gun-and-run powerband. It is quick and aggressive. Riders not used to two-stroke power will be blown off the back of the 250SX when it comes on in the midrange. The 50 horsepower feels like 500 when it comes on, but once you get into the two-stroke groove, you can explode out of corners with an instantaneous snap that makes a four-stroke feel like a school bus. It is the ultimate weapon for getting to the first turn first, and while it may give up some manageability to a four-stroke’s powerband, a thumper can’t hold a candle to it on the fun scale.

That is what makes a well tuned 300 "SX" with a ST kit in the trees so insanely fun!!!

Last edited:
T

thejean

Jan 17, 2013
Mtn-doo,

You have inspired me to build a 2014 KTM 300XC, Timbersled SX kit

picture.php

This combo needed a 15t countershaft sprocket. It is TIGHT, but it will stretch. The 14t was hitting the track.

I also had to remove most of the air box and run a pod filter.

Thanks

So how are you liking the 300-SX combo? Is the fun factor worth the hassle of switching out the airbox twice a year?

S

slednut34

Mar 9, 2009
Great Falls MT
I'm am building an 09 Xcw with an sx head .4 base gasket and haven't decided on what ceu to use. I am waiting to see what smart carb to use. If any one has any input that would be great. I'm ordering a 15 Lt kit but I'm going to dyno my bike stock then do the mods and then do it again. I bought an egt gage for jetting but was just wondering if any one has used one and how you mounted the probe and how it worked. Thanks.

T

thejean

Jan 17, 2013
Same setup as me. Suggest the SX ignition. Can buy the whole kit at Slavens racing pretty cheap.

Draxxus

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2009
vancouver
I wouldn't recommend the xcw as a start , just finished doing an 09 xcw and the transmission is a huge disadvantage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
I'm am building an 09 Xcw with an sx head .4 base gasket and haven't decided on what ceu to use. I am waiting to see what smart carb to use. If any one has any input that would be great. I'm ordering a 15 Lt kit but I'm going to dyno my bike stock then do the mods and then do it again. I bought an egt gage for jetting but was just wondering if any one has used one and how you mounted the probe and how it worked. Thanks.

You want to install the probe at 5 1/2" from the exhaust port window. You can also measure from the piston skirt for 6". Add the length to flush with the exhaust flange then measure the remaining distance onto your pipe.

I agree the XCW trans is not ideal for the ST, so having that trans on a LT would be .... not good. The only way to make it workable would be to skip 1st and 2nd and dial your gearing in for 3rd. Still not good though.

T

thejean

Jan 17, 2013
I agree completely. If I was to stick with a 300 as my snowbike, I would switch to an XC. My xcw works ok but the gearing just isn't quite a match to the power band of the bike, particularly on steeper climbs. Great in the dirt, not so great in the snow.

Premium Features