• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Installation and Review: Mountain Performance Inc, Stage 1 & 2 Supercharger

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Managed to get my ECU removed from the sled today after a great suggestion that I try using a lady with SMALL HANDS.

Son's Girlfriend was able to extract it after only 15 minutes of trying WITHOUT me having to disassemble my steering column!!

I am going to overnight it to MPI Moday for them to do the safety/timing reflash on it.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1385250167.157555.jpg
Ready to bag and ship back for reflashing

Mountain Performance Inc. (MPI) in conjunction with our technology partner Evolution Powersports
are proud to announce a broad range of ECU Programs for the Yamaha Nytro. Our strategic development group has spent the last 3 years perfecting a variety of different OEM ECU software calibrations that are ready to be unleashed on the Yamaha community.

Safety Flash:
In this software recalibration, the engine timing is re-calibrated to reduce ignition timing as water temperature increases and the temperature light illuminates 20 deg F sooner than stock (stock 212F, now 190F). The stock parameters are not sensitive enough to protect the engine while under boost. When the stock program turns on the temp light while on boost, the engine may already have been damaged. Our software flash protects the engine by reducing timing as water temperature increases to help safeguard against engine damage. The rider is also alerted by illuminating the water temperature warning light.

Part # HSE-0060 $299 (or $99 when added to 550cc Injector Flash).

Reduced Timing Flash:
In this software recalibration, the ignition timing tables are re-mapped to compensate for boosted applications. Ignition timing is gradually reduced as the engines load (throttle position) increases which is essential in eliminating engine detonation. The reduction of ignition timing allows for more boost at any given octane fuel. Example: if OEM programming is safe at 5PSI of boost, this re-map would allow 8PSI of boost while using the same fuel. A second example: Vehicles running race gas to allow a given boost level could now be run with pump premium fuel. It many cases this flash can eliminate the need to run a head shim (and remove all the liabilities of having to disassemble and reassemble the engines cylinder head). A good rule of thumb is that this calibration allows for 2 to 3 more PSI of boost without further engine modification or fuel octane increase.

Part # HSE-0062 $299 (or $99 when added to 550cc Injector Flash).

Safety Flash with reduced timing:
In this software recalibration, the safety flash and reduced timing flash are combined to offer the ultimate performance and engine safety package.

Part # HSE-0061 $399 (a $200 savings

2008-2011 Nytro hand warmer fix:
Hand warmers on earlier model Nytros do not get as warm or heat up as fast as the 2012 and later models. This is due to the ECU’s programming and is actually not the warmers themselves. By simply re-flashing the OEM ECU grip warmer performance is greatly enhanced. The recalibration increases power output to the hand warmers which makes them function more effectively. After the re-flash the grips actually get hot while the engine is idling. The increased grip warmer is immediately noticed and appreciated by the driver.

Part # HSE-0066 $99.00 ($79.00 when combined with any other flash package HSE-0067)

550cc Injector Flash (used in conjunction with MPI/Bosch 550cc injectors):
This software recalibration replaces the OEM 330cc injectors with 550cc injectors. The 550cc re-flash is used in conjunction with your existing piggyback / auxiliary fuel controller. The 550cc injectors allow for 40% more fuel versus the OEM injectors. The vehicle maintains perfect drivability with 550cc injectors, with no hiccups, glitches, etc. It is widely accepted that supplemental fuels controllers do a great job of managing fuel for boost as long as the OEM 330cc injectors are maintained; unfortunately horsepower is limited by the injector size. With the 550cc re-flash, the OEM computer compensates for the larger injectors leaving the piggyback / auxiliary fuel controller to manage the boost fuel. Property scaled larger fuel injectors are the only way to increase fuel delivery and have an OEM like performing engine – without hesitations, stumbles, etc. The OEM computer contains all the knowledge and strategies for idle, acceleration, deceleration and all other transitional throttle changes. When the OEM injector size is changed, the OEM computer must have all of its tables re-mapped to compensate. If the OEM ECU isn’t remapped, the piggyback / auxiliary fuel controller must constantly try to second guess and correct for transitional changes that are miss-managed by a non-reprogrammed OEM computer. This also eliminates the need for a second set of supplemental injector; an alternate method sometimes used to overcome the 330cc injector limitation. Idle RPM has been increased by 150 RPM, eliminating the need to manually adjust the OEM throttle stop (manually adjusting the throttle stop often results in unexpected idle characteristics because the computer’s ability to electronically control idle has been overridden). This software flash is sold in conjunction with high quality Bosch 550cc injectors, which includes all necessary hardware for direct replacement of the OEM 330cc units.

Part #s HSE-0063 & HSK-1238 $799 (includes injectors and hardware).
Please specify Vehicle Year plus Supercharger or Turbocharger type>>

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1385250185.273712.jpg

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
New belt
New pulleys
New hubs and set screws
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1385250230.490095.jpg

31 tooth bottom
23 tooth top.
This is the maximum ratio the MPI Stage 1 Supercharger can support
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1385250289.656783.jpg

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
Heat is definately your friend when it comes to loctite. If it has loctite on it don't even bother trying without heating it first. We have some red Loctite here at work now that is good up to 650 degrees. Loctite is a very good solution but needs care on how to work with it when it is time to get it loose.

irondave86

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
N.W. Washington
Reflashed ECU arrived and has been Installed.
Ready to install the new Pulleys tonight!

If your installing new taper-locks don't forget to file the keyways to get a min clearance of .005 between the top of the key and the keyway and .002 - .003 on the sides. I forgot to do it once and it cost me a day of riding.

Reactions: christopher

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
If your installing new taper-locks don't forget to file the keyways to get a min clearance of .005 between the top of the key and the keyway and .002 - .003 on the sides. I forgot to do it once and it cost me a day of riding.
The taper lock looked fine so I just let it in place and didn't touch it.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Time to put this bad boy back together again.

Made several dry runs "test-fitting" the pulleys to make sure I remembered exactly how they fit and what they looked like when fully tightened down.

As before first thing to do was to HEAT up the new pulleys.

This time around I invested in a digital Infrared Thermometer so I had SOME clue how hot they were. Temp varied from one side of the steel core to the other by +/- 100 degrees!

picture.php

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Placed the HOT pulley on the output shaft and began the process of torqing down the set screws.

40 Inch pounds, top then bottom
100 ect..

Once the pulley was in place, torqued down, then I backed out ONE of the set screws, applied a liberal amount of RED Locktite and re-torqued that one screw, then repeated with the other.

picture.php

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Repeated the process with the upper pulley but WITH the belt attached at the same time as the pulley was being installed on the Supercharger drive shaft.

NOTE:
There was a HUGE GIGANTIC ENORMOUS difference this time!
Because I had changed the upper pulley by reducing 2 teeth off of it (Smaller pulley) there was MORE play in the drive belt. This meant that it was SO MUCH EASIER to install. I can't begin to say what a difference this made in the ease of installation. This was a joy, whereas the first time was a HUGE ORDEAL getting the upper pulley on with a VERY TIGHT belt!

This time around I also bought a really high quality straight edge to ALIGN the upper and lower pulleys with! This also made it MUCH easier to get the alignment on the upper pulley EXACTLY where I wanted it to be in relation to the lower pulley.

picture.php

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
And with every step of this process there have been numerous moments of STUPIDITY..

Here is my latest example.

When I was taking off the old pulleys I noticed that the bolt on the tensioner was fully extended OUT, meaning that it was TOO LONG for the belt that I was using. I needed a shorter bolt, so we trimmed the bolt so it would fit better with the new install.

picture.php

picture.php

M

MotoPsycho

Jan 4, 2008
Wyoming
PsychoSled.com
Ummmm... I might be mistaken, but I think you only heat the pulley - not the steel hub. Kinda counter productive in the expansion process. Make sure you check for tight a bunch during first few rides.

Sent from Moto's iPharce 5
PsychoSled.com - Got snow?

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Of course, your's truly utterly failed to realize that be installing a SMALLER PULLEY that would add MORE SLACK to the belt!

Longer Belt needs a LONGER BOLT on the tensioner.

So, now my bolt is MAXED out in the opposite direction!!:face-icon-small-hap

picture.php

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Now we cut to the chase.
Saturday I took the sled out for her first run of the year.

I admit, I was VERY nervous for the first hour or so.
Constantly checking those pulleys and the belt alignment.

I was VERY gentle on her as I slowly built up my own level of confidence that I hadn't done something really stupid that might cause my pulleys to come flying off at any moment.

Snow was THIN at best with LOTS of hidden land mines.

Sled ran STRONG at all altitudes from 6,000ft to 8,000ft
Ran 91 octane + 1.5 gallons of 110.

Because the snow was poor, there was no where for me to open up the sled fully and see what she could really do. By the end of the day I was 100% confident in the new pulleys and took her for several high speed runs back in the valley of Island Park.

The Sled is now scary fast on acceleration.
I never saw above 8,300rpm, not because it maxed out, but because I just ran out of space and the trails had TOO MUCH ICE on them to go above 75mph.

At 8,300rpm the sled was PULLING HARD and there was LOTS still left untapped.

Will go back up next weekend and see if I can't find better snow and a bigger long straight run to open her up 100%.

Monday I plan on getting another O2 Sensor bung welded into the exhaust pipe so I can get the new gauge cluster mounted!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
2nd Ride Report.

NO overheating warnings at all today.
But then again this was the 2nd COLDEST day I have ever ridden!
Windchill was running right around -25!
Lots of fresh COLD COLD COLD snow to keep the engine cool.

Max RPM was 9,150
Max Speed was 83mph
Elevation was 6,500 for the test run on a smooth flat mile long trail.
Ambient Temp was negative in the single digits (-5 to -7)

Engine ran STRONG and SMOOTH.

Very Very Happy with the performance of the MPI Supercharger today.:face-icon-small-hap
Absolutely ZERO ISSUES with it.
Just ran and ran strong & hard.!

Premium Features