• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How about our great President!!!

Thread Rating
3.00 star(s)

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
With Donald Trump reportedly preparing to pull the US out of the Paris climate agreement, companies are speaking out — and saying that the American economy will suffer if he does.

In 2015, every country in the world except two signed the Paris agreement in a joint effort to combat the rising threat of global warming. Under former President Barack Obama, the US agreed to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 26% to 28% for 2025.

Here is a list of companies that have urged Trump not to abandon the Paris agreement:

Facebook
Google
Microsoft
The Gap
Exxon Mobil
ConocoPhillips
National Grid
Apple
Adobe
Danfoss
Levi Strauss & Co.
Mars Incorporated
Hewlett Packard Enterprise
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts
Morgan Stanley
Unilever
Tiffany & Co
Dignity Health
Ingersoll Rand
Intel Corporation
PG&E Corporation
Johnson Controls
Royal DSM
The Hartford
Royal DSM
Salesforce
Schneider Electric
VF Corporation
And the list is growing!

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
Why would the economy suffer for him pulling us out of the agreement? That agreement was not binding in the slightest, but could be used by groups here at home to try and force Caliesque restrictions on vehicles. Most of the companies that didn't want him to pull out have something to gain from this (electric companies or O&G companies with a lot of natural gas). In all honesty, the private sector is already taking us towards reduced emissions which is why coal more than likely will never come back as natty gas is cheaper and less polluting.

Regardless, I personally did not think the downside of the agreement was substantial enough to justify leaving. No matter what though our emissions will continue to shrink and we will still probably have better results than the countries that did sign the piece of paper. I wonder what their excuse will be when the data comes out...

Idcatman3

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Why would the economy suffer for him pulling us out of the agreement? That agreement was not binding in the slightest, but could be used by groups here at home to try and force Caliesque restrictions on vehicles. Most of the companies that didn't want him to pull out have something to gain from this (electric companies or O&G companies with a lot of natural gas). In all honesty, the private sector is already taking us towards reduced emissions which is why coal more than likely will never come back as natty gas is cheaper and less polluting.

Regardless, I personally did not think the downside of the agreement was substantial enough to justify leaving. No matter what though our emissions will continue to shrink and we will still probably have better results than the countries that did sign the piece of paper. I wonder what their excuse will be when the data comes out...

We should have better outcomes than most, as our emissions per person are higher than most others. Total emissions are lower than China, but higher than any other nation. China emits only about 1/3 the CO2 per person that we do.

Agree with most of the rest of your post though.

black z

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2014
MN
We should have better outcomes than most, as our emissions per person are higher than most others. Total emissions are lower than China, but higher than any other nation. China emits only about 1/3 the CO2 per person that we do.

20 UNITED STATES $57,300 2016 EST. of GDP per capita

112 CHINA $14,600 2016 EST. of GDP per capita

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/rankorder/2004rank.html

An actually useful statistic rather than C02 per person. Shows how efficient we are, thanks for disproving your own point!

Idcatman3

Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO

yeah, but they have 4x the population we do. I don't think the environment cares how much pollution there is per capita I think all that matters is gross output. That said, I imagine China's production of CO2 will continue to increase as it continues to industrialize and the US's will drop as our population continues to shift into urban areas where mass transit is more available and electric cars start hit the market. I also think geothermal heating/cooling will become more popular as well as solar panels and perhaps wind power too when these options become more economical. Economics could easily fix our power/pollution issues assuming technology makes these things more efficient.

Idcatman3

Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
yeah, but they have 4x the population we do. I don't think the environment cares how much pollution there is per capita I think all that matters is gross output. That said, I imagine China's production of CO2 will continue to increase as it continues to industrialize and the US's will drop as our population continues to shift into urban areas where mass transit is more available and electric cars start hit the market. I also think geothermal heating/cooling will become more popular as well as solar panels and perhaps wind power too when these options become more economical. Economics could easily fix our power/pollution issues assuming technology makes these things more efficient.
Most studies show that China's total CO2 emissions have actually peaked already, and they are ahead of their targeted reductions, even as their economy grows.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
Most studies show that China's total CO2 emissions have actually peaked already, and they are ahead of their targeted reductions, even as their economy grows.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Ehh I'm skeptical. Their economy has stalled for the last couple of years which tends to reduce energy needs/consumption which means alternative fuels Wind, nuclear, and hydro-power can lessen the amount of coal needed for power. Once their economy picks up steam again and its steel plants and manufacturing are back they will be using more coal than ever. They have made great strides by forcing certain companies to stop working when air pollution levels get really bad. The fact of the matter is that in 2015 they were making nearly 1/3 of the world's emissions.

Idcatman3

Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
The more you produce, the more emissions you produce. There is no free lunch in energy consumption.

GDP per ton of CO2:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_ratio_of_GDP_to_carbon_dioxide_emissions

We are 80th on that list. The EU as a whole has a higher GDP, with lower emissions than we do.

You're right that there's no free lunch, but there are more efficient ways to do things than we are currently doing them.

And just for anyone who is bored:
http://edgar.jrc.ec.europa.eu/news_...n-global-co2-emissions-2016-report-103425.pdf

Last edited:

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Back to our great President Trump, testimony yesterday laid to rest any speculation about collusion between Trump & Russia and election manipulation.

But don't worry, fake news will fabricate another lie for the sheeple to believe.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
As the truth came out it became very obvious that firing Comey was yet another decision by Trump that was in the best interest of our country.

J
Jan 15, 2010
Back to our great President Trump, testimony yesterday laid to rest any speculation about collusion between Trump & Russia and election manipulation.

so you don't think it laid to rest anything about obstruction of justice? Sounded to me like Donny pretty clearly cleared the room and told comey in no uncertain terms to back off or else.

Personally im gonna avoid the media speculation and wait for Mueller, but if I got one thing outta all that jazz yesterday it's that Donny is a lying imbecile who will say absolutely anything to save his skin. Not exactly endearing qualities of a great leader... drain the swamp-yea right, this fool is deeper in the swamp than any politician in recent history, he feeds on the bullsh$t that's so prevalent in politics.

BLITZKRIEG

Lifetime Membership
Aug 30, 2011
MT
ca4b7fb99b2a8951bcfa0bf2ee07a646.jpg

Idcatman3

Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Screw the wall!! Just cut along that line, and send that whole useless mess out into the ocean!! :D

California pays more in taxes than they get back, as do Oregon and Washington.

This is from 2005, I'm on the email list for if/when it's updated:

https://files.taxfoundation.org/legacy/docs/fedspend_per_taxesbystate-20071009.pdf

Is the solution to people we don't like always to just get rid of them? You realize there are more people that voted for Clinton than Trump, right?

BLITZKRIEG

Lifetime Membership
Aug 30, 2011
MT
You realize there are more people that voted for Clinton than Trump, right?
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups. Thank god our founders had the brilliance to realize this would happen thus created "the electoral college!"

Premium Features