• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Help with picking a pair of gloves

Over the past 2 seasons I've been buying better gear for backcountry riding. Mainly klim and hmk. I'm looking to get another pair of gloves. I want something that will keep my hands warm on cold days but still allow my fingers to move freely for technical riding. I was looking through the first place parts catalog the only problem I have is no dealers around here really carry much so I can't hold them or try them on. So I'm looking for some real world input!

Over the past 2 seasons I've been buying better gear for backcountry riding. Mainly klim and hmk. I'm looking to get another pair of gloves. I want something that will keep my hands warm on cold days but still allow my fingers to move freely for technical riding. I was looking through the first place parts catalog the only problem I have is no dealers around here really carry much so I can't hold them or try them on. So I'm looking for some real world input!

Take a look at this glove
http://www.klim.com/Fusion-Glove-3087-001

KLIM-Fusion-Glove.jpg

http://www.klim.com/Fusion-Glove-3087-000
3087%20Fusion%20Glove%20Large.jpg

On those days that i do NOT want to carry multiple gloves with me, this is my choice.

As the most fully insulated glove in the KLIM lineup and redesigned with outseam construction from maximum comfort, only the Fusion incorporates GORE-TEX® Gloves + Gore 2 in 1 technology. With 200 grams 3M™ Thinsulate™ Insulation on the top of hand and 60 grams in an internal divider worn on top or below the hand, the Fusion adapts to every condition.

For me personally, most of the time I ride with the KLIM ELITE
and a pair of the KLIM POWERCROSS
and switch back and forth depending on Temp and how aggressive I am riding over the course of the day.

I don't know your preference, but I don't ride the backcountry with gauntlet style gloves. However, I pack Klim Summit gloves for the ride home. While boondocking, I've been using Motorfist WOT gloves and like them a lot, but will be trying out Fly Title gloves this season. They're a lot cheaper and I go thru gloves quickly...

3cd463649a75f01039c7ddca77b3c18d.jpg

I have had two pair of Klim Fusion gloves and it might just be me but after digging out my sled once they are damn near soaked. Also getting your hand into them when not completely dry is a pain in the butt. This is due to the material of the two in one system.
I have spoke to Klim and they suggested I try and spray them with waterproofing. I did and it made little difference. These gloves are about as useful as sponge in my opinion.

If you are going to spend the money I suggest the summit or Togwotee gloves with the removeable liner. They work awesome. 2.0 liner for on the ride out and then slip the liners off and use the shell for boondocking. I also keep a couple pairs of the Inversion in my bag. They are light I really prefer those. Then when you get stuck you can swap to the Togwotee or Summit shell.

If you want one pair of gloves for all day riding go with the Summit or Togwotee.

Check out Kinco to save money, what most ski patrol work in. Not gonna make a fasion statement, but real deal gloves for a fraction of sled gear prices.

Got a pair of Castle X G7 gloves for Xmas, and they've been pretty darned good.

Other than that I run my zillion dollar Hestra gloves from my skiing days.

i like the klim powercross for back country riding , i used a pair of togwotee for the ride out a little heaver and i like the gauntlets ,

Last edited:
I saw klim gloves for $250 in this years wps book. That's retarded. I use insulated leather gloves at work that cost $7 per pair. I think those are my new riding gloves. I'll bring 35.7 pairs and see if my hands stay dryer than using one pair of klims

Take a look at this glove
http://www.klim.com/Fusion-Glove-3087-001

KLIM-Fusion-Glove.jpg

http://www.klim.com/Fusion-Glove-3087-000
3087%20Fusion%20Glove%20Large.jpg

On those days that i do NOT want to carry multiple gloves with me, this is my choice.

As the most fully insulated glove in the KLIM lineup and redesigned with outseam construction from maximum comfort, only the Fusion incorporates GORE-TEX® Gloves + Gore 2 in 1 technology. With 200 grams 3M™ Thinsulate™ Insulation on the top of hand and 60 grams in an internal divider worn on top or below the hand, the Fusion adapts to every condition.

For me personally, most of the time I ride with the KLIM ELITE
and a pair of the KLIM POWERCROSS
and switch back and forth depending on Temp and how aggressive I am riding over the course of the day.

I have been looking at the powerxross glove and the elite. I normally carry a few pairs with me. The powerxross look like they'd still give you good movement.

I have had two pair of Klim Fusion gloves and it might just be me but after digging out my sled once they are damn near soaked. Also getting your hand into them when not completely dry is a pain in the butt. This is due to the material of the two in one system.
I have spoke to Klim and they suggested I try and spray them with waterproofing. I did and it made little difference. These gloves are about as useful as sponge in my opinion.

If you are going to spend the money I suggest the summit or Togwotee gloves with the removeable liner. They work awesome. 2.0 liner for on the ride out and then slip the liners off and use the shell for boondocking. I also keep a couple pairs of the Inversion in my bag. They are light I really prefer those. Then when you get stuck you can swap to the Togwotee or Summit shell.

If you want one pair of gloves for all day riding go with the Summit or Togwotee.

I'll check out both of those. I have an older pair of klim gloves I picked up a few years ago when I was riding in Wyoming and they were great for about a week then all of a sudden they would just get saturated very quickly when I would dig a stuck sled out.

I like the idea of having a liner I can remove as it gets warmer throughout the day!

509 Free ride gloves, hands down the best glove I have ever bought. Can get them for about $80.

I saw klim gloves for $250 in this years wps book. That's retarded. I use insulated leather gloves at work that cost $7 per pair. I think those are my new riding gloves. I'll bring 35.7 pairs and see if my hands stay dryer than using one pair of klims

i am now dumber for reading this thanks a lot. bibs are to expensive too i'm going back to wearing jeans to ride in. p/s a good frostbite doctor is much more expensive than a expensive pair of gloves.

Last edited:
i am now dumber for reading this thanks a lot. bibs are to expensive too i'm going back to wearing jeans to ride in. p/s a good frostbite doctor is much more expensive than a expensive pair of gloves.

Your hands will still get wet in $250 gloves. If you don't change them once wet you'll be right there with me at the "frostbite doctor". So for $21 I can change my gloves three times per ride, it would cost you $750 for those same three pairs of gloves if you buy klim....but I'm the dumb one?

I own a klim coat and bibs, hmk boots, I even have a tobe onesie. I have no problem paying high prices for quality gear when it's important that it keeps me warm and dry all day. I've owned many klim gloves and my experience with them hasn't justified the price. They still get wet, they don't last a whole season, and klim doesn't warranty them.

I am somewhere in the middle on this. I wear klim powerxross gloves. I have 2 pair and always put on dry gloves after lunch. Also carry a pair of klim klimate with me and fleece liners.

Your hands will still get wet in $250 gloves. If you don't change them once wet you'll be right there with me at the "frostbite doctor". So for $21 I can change my gloves three times per ride, it would cost you $750 for those same three pairs of gloves if you buy klim....but I'm the dumb one?

I own a klim coat and bibs, hmk boots, I even have a tobe onesie. I have no problem paying high prices for quality gear when it's important that it keeps me warm and dry all day. I've owned many klim gloves and my experience with them hasn't justified the price. They still get wet, they don't last a whole season, and klim doesn't warranty them.
i wouldn't buy a 250.00 pair of gloves but i certainly wouldn't use a ten dollar pair either, i ride with a pair of klimate gloves and a pair of powercross, they both stay very dry if you use your head. wet gloves are not a problem unless you don't have access to your handwarmers . both pair are around 90 bucks each . so your math is asinine. secondly when using hand warmers your gloves get very warm and if you get your hands in the snow they will get wet , if you are using good gloves they will dry out and still be functionally warm. the leather gloves will turn to icicles and also have very little insulating value. what about wind chill ?i ride all day my hands may get alittle wet towards the end of the day so i slip on my dry pair of klimates and ride out warm. goahead do what you want their your hands . me i'd rather use common sense .

Last edited:
Another vote for the togwotee. I tried the summit, has more leather around the fingers (so in theory warmer) but very restrictive in movement I found out in riding. Luckily I had a warranty issue right away with the summits (as they were driving me crazy with the restrictiveness when riding) and exchanged for the togwotee. I used to ride with the powerxross all the time (always thought a little thin and after a few dig outs wet) and wish I would have went with the togwotee sooner.

I don't know your preference, but I don't ride the backcountry with gauntlet style gloves. However, I pack Klim Summit gloves for the ride home. While boondocking, I've been using Motorfist WOT gloves and like them a lot, but will be trying out Fly Title gloves this season. They're a lot cheaper and I go thru gloves quickly...

Do you stay dry with these? The one short pair of fly gloves I have are a b*tch to get on and off after my hands start to sweat.

Some may not like this manufacturer, which is understandable, but these 2 pairs have worked very well for me for a few years now.

On the ride out or on very cold days I wear the Guide glove....hands down warmest glove I've ever worn.

http://blackdiamondequipment.com/en_US/ski-gloves/guide-BD801516_cfg.html#start=1

For riding I mainly wear the Punisher glove.....warm, waterproof, some padding on the back of the hand and still dexterous enough.

http://blackdiamondequipment.com/en/climbing-gloves/punisher-glove-BD801659_cfg.html#start=1

Screen Shot 2016-11-02 at 2.28.24 PM.jpg Screen Shot 2016-11-02 at 2.28.35 PM.jpg

My go-to gloves for those deep cold days are the Klim Powerxross. I've had the best luck with them to keep my hands dry and warm while not being bulky.

When the temps are mid twentys and up and not over the hood pow, I almost always use my Klim Inversion gloves.

I also carry a pair of thick gloves for the ride in or out if it is on the colder side. I use Klim's Summit gloves but I imagine any larger warm glove will suite.

Do you stay dry with these? The one short pair of fly gloves I have are a b*tch to get on and off after my hands start to sweat.
Heck no. With the way I ride, there isn't a glove made that will stay dry. I bring multiple gloves for the day and pack the Summits only for the ride home. I've never tried the Fly gloves, so we'll see how they do...

I had Klim Powerxross gloves and loved them, until I bought some gloves that don't fall apart after one year of riding.
Currently using True Adventure Storm X2 gloves. Carry and extra pair to swap to on the ride in on the trail. Have yet to have wet hands riding with these on.

I just bought two pair from TAG. They're not making them any more.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Premium Features

Back