• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Help me pick a turbo

B

big_red1a

Hey guys have a 10 nytro mtx looking at 3 possible turbos. I plan to install myself and do not want to spend the winter wrenching. i make it to the mountains a few times per year and mostly ride meadows and trees but occationally need to do some climbs to get to these areas. I never see myself as a chute climber. I will also ride back home at low altitude.
A.I do not want to upgrade later, is 180 enough? Will it outperform all current stock 800's
B.Is the larger Impulse standalone reliable?
C.Is the impulse very ridable at slower speeds in the trees and meadows or just point and shoot?

Here is what I have found, feel free to correct agree/disagree or add to these

1.Mcxpress 180hp 6psi+ auto altitude ajustment to 180hp $4479Cad
easiest install , no heat issues low cost, no head shim, very popular well tested, only need to set up clutch once (adding weight to stock arms) due to altitude ajustment in turbo, snow to air tunnel cooler may save weight, have dealer in home town, yamaha dealers seem to install the most, seems the most reliable, ships free in canada
Cons:No tunnel dump or Bov, weight of stock header and aftermarket muffler, add boost gauge? mid mount turbo lag?, does not correct yamaha exhaust donut issue, cut and weld oem exhaust? have also heard of headers cracking. ice build up at rear air intake from heat of exhaust? the 90 snorkle may help but what happens with tarp or rolling the sled? smallest (stock) fuel capacity. still may have ice build up in tunnel

2. Ulmers 6-8-10lbs high alitiude 180hp 8.5gal fuel $4599usd summer price
cast manifold, front mount (minimal lag), bigger gas tank, great service, locking header bolts, may correct exhaust donut issue??? 8hr install, air intake is protected from snow but may gey warmer air from undel panels Cons: heat under fuel tank? vent kit required, add gauges air/fuel, boost, water temp ($455usd) add clutching($300USD) not sure how clutching will react at differnet alltitudes/boost levels Add blow-off valve($300USD) must change exhaust (add tunnel dump exhaust maybe option ???) Not sure about having to reconfigure when changing altitude??? manual boost gauge required ($109usd), weight of header and turbo unsupported still may have ice build up in tunnel?
not sure if there is any power advantage over the mcxpess system due to the limitations of the stock fuel system

3.Impulse 17psi 285hp 10gal fuel $6775usd
no user ajustment gas and go, front mount with no heat on gas tank, biggest turbo, includes tunnel dump exhaust into front of the tunnel, (May correct tunnel icing??) Air intake and exhaust in the most effiecent loction for quick boost, rear tunnel open for storage, includes hudge blow-off valve, fuel weight moved to rear for more ballance, 10gal fuel capacity (largest), Most power with no need for future upgrades, stand-alone fuel system, Boost can be dialed down to 12lbs
Cons: cost, head shim required, retard timing, most difficult install reqires removing engine, clutch realignment ect. vent kit required, LOUD, no guages ($500usd) add clutching/gearing/shockwave ($550USD)shipping $300usd, does the headshim lower the bottom end power required for trees and slower technical riding or are you already into the boost??? I do not think that the stock skid will keep the skis down with this kit and we all know that this can become a very expensive snow ball (rear skid, track, drivers, tunnel.........)

The first 2 kits could be removed and the sled put back to stock. The third setup would not be worth removing and selling seperate.

I really like the lower boost kits but want to have enough power. I am also a bit concerned that with a 280 kit i will not have fun riding with NA sleds in the trees and meadows.

I am hoping that many of you have 1st hand experience with these options, if not i still value you opinions and ideas.

Thanks for you input and and please state if you are speaking from experience!

Last edited:
I personnally am looking at the MCxpress low boost kit, seems more tried and tested and I dont plan to do any crazy chute climbs. I heard that powderlites offers a low boost kit similar to MCxpress now also, but you might have to phone them and ask, because it seems it's not on their website. I know Quantum Velocity in Red Deer, AB installed one on an 08 Nytro MTX, they might be able to give you more insight on it. May be worth looking into thou?

Even though I ride a MCX 270 kit on my T-Nytro, if I had to choose from "your three" choices, I would spend the extra cash and go for the Impulse Kit. Just because you have the power that does not mean you are committed to climb insane chutes. To me, the throttle is your friend and the more power the better......no matter in the trees or on big pulls. Impulse for sure or I would not hesitate to go with the 270 MCX kit if I had to do it all over again. JMO!

I personnally am looking at the MCxpress low boost kit, seems more tried and tested and I dont plan to do any crazy chute climbs. I heard that powderlites offers a low boost kit similar to MCxpress now also, but you might have to phone them and ask, because it seems it's not on their website. I know Quantum Velocity in Red Deer, AB installed one on an 08 Nytro MTX, they might be able to give you more insight on it. May be worth looking into thou?

Are you sure that wasn't the Alpine low boost kit they installed?

I've never wished that my sled had less power...but IMO 8-10lbs of boost is enough for the average joe, and is where I run mine most of the time.

Being able to turn up the boost is worth its weight in gold on the big days though.

its like buying a cupcake with out icing. sure its still good, but pretty soon you want the sweetness. dont cheap out. do it right the first time and just run less boost. then if you want more? your not spending more money and time doing the upgrades. thats my 2 cents.

I rode the 180 porogram for a couple days last year on a 2010 Chasis. Great package for 90% of the riders out there. Plus its upgradable in the future with 2 parts.
happy boosting
rs

Have the MCX 240 kit on my 09 Nytro and love it. Put gas in it and go. It does well in the trees and enough power to get you out of a lot of situations. Has been a very reliable kit. Would definitely buy MCX again. Good quality product.

Are you sure that wasn't the Alpine low boost kit they installed?

You very well may be right, I have been wrong once or twice before in my lifetime and it wouldn't be the last im sure. But the Alpine low boost kit comes with, from what I read, a Mountain Mod seat and a new 40L Fuel tank, the kit that Quantum Velocity installed never had either of those upgrades. Please correct me if i'am mistaken. Quantum Velocity or Powderlites would know more about this kit than I would tho.

Last edited:
I have Impulse kit, I mostly ride in trees and meadows....and lots of family days on lakes etc....have never regretted the power (and there is a ton of it). I can outperform any 800 out there, but I can't out perform most of the riders on an 800 lol. I am working my way to big hills then chutes, and in the interim, I am having more fun than all my buddies on 800's :face-icon-small-win so when I am ready to hit the steep, I have an adequately prepared machine, unlike my wits :face-icon-small-coo

Of your choices I'd say MCX low boost for your riding style. Don;t count out an Alpine low boost or Stage 2 kits tho. Remember once you get boost you will want more so 180 may not be enuf lol.

I went with an Alpine Stage 2 and couldnt be happier......my .02.

Diamond S turbo's

I put one on my apex last year and I can't believe how fast it is. I know Diamond S is doing turbo kits for the Nitro and the Apex and they are insane

MCX 180

I installed the mcx 180 kit on my 2010 Nytro 162 last winter and was very impressed with the performance, excellent throttle response and ease of installation of the kit. The manual lacks a little, but with the help of the dealer and snowest members it took me about 20hrs. The cut and weld on the muffler was the toughest part, I didnt go with the tunnel dump because of the noise issue. You will smoke all 800 class sleds and will beat most if not all na 1000 class sleds. All you have to add is a little weight on the primary and a boost gauge and away you go. You may want to buy some wider skis(gen 2 with mod) when the snow gets deep. There is no turbo lag with this kit, stock throttle response. I have had no problems with the stock donuts yet 2300km. Buy the kit. :face-icon-small-hap

I agree, no regrets with the 180kit:smokin:. It actually makes a 800-2s look pretty darn silly:Cry:. The throttle response is great - lag is really not even an issue. I too, said I wasn't really big on climbing bigger stuff (you have to come back down) but this package makes the hills seem a bit smaller & tricks you into trying things that you wouldn't have before. Be careful with that one.
The torque is amazing feels like a really fast snow tractor....

Last edited:
IMO:

I think you will want more power later.
I havent had any problems with my standalone.
Trees no problem, you can always Turn your boost down. just not the other way. throttle response on the 2871 is incredible. so its nice for "sticky" situations.

I have the impulse kit on my apex. I know it is a different sled and not standalone. But the rideability is great. I can run in the trees as much as I can handle the weight of the sled, I always have power right there. There is literally such a small amount of lag you would never notice it and will always get you out of a situation in the trees. The impulse kit is a bit more money but the amount of extras you get more than add up for it. I installed mine myself last year and never had a problem. He let me know what clutching to use and a baseline for the fuel controller. My clutching was spot on and have not made an adjustment, I adjusted a little on the low end for the controller to lean it out to my liking. You won't be disappointed with the impulse kit. And Paul's customer service is one of the best I've seen in the aftermarket department.

I have a 180 kit on my 09 and love it. It's a every day rider and I never have to touch it. easy instal and has great throttle response. There are times when i wish I would have bought a larger turbo, but only if you're riding with someone that has more hp then you.

Impulse

Once you go boosted you will probably not be happy with 8-10 lbs but 17 lbs on pump gas now that is a big diffence.

If I was to pick one right now I would find a way to go Impulse and probalbly go with the pump gas set up.

Premium Features

Back