• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Hatcher Pass March 2nd Meeting - This is why we need lots of support

P

pura vida

Nov 26, 2007
So my wife is a teacher at the local middle school and received this email from one of co-workers. Emphasis added by me.

Skiers in the crowd:

If you support a world class Nordic and Alpine ski area at Hatcher Pass please try to attend the next MSB assembly meeting March 2/Tuesday, 6:30pm Assembly Chambers, Mat-Su Boroush Bldg (Reso. 10-11). The motor heads (aka snow machines, ATV, motor cycles) are trying to create a new motorized corridor through the Government Peak alpine and nordic ski areas. As you know a world class nordic ski venue has been planned to begin construction this spring off of Edgerton Park Rd. This will be a top quality venue, with day lodge, lighted trails and full time maintenance. If you've ever been to Eska Peak multi use area you will quickly and easily see that a ski venue and motorized use are not compatible. Snow machines, motor cycles & ATV's have few boundaries...

The proposed ski area will bring only positives to Mat-Su: Jr & Masters ski programs, professional instruction and exposure, another area for kids to begin healthy lifestyle choices, potential National events, AND its fun for the whole family! The list of positives is endless. Allowing a motorized corridor smack dab in the middle of it would be disastrous and many believe (including the motor heads) it would lead to the eventual demise of a ski area of any kind. I agree.

Please contact your assembly members in support of a non-motorized ski venue (www.matsugov.us/Assembly ). Specifically, Jim Colver (a Mat-Su ski club member) is one of our biggest supporters of a Hatcher Pass Ski area. The skiers out numbered the motorheads 5 - 1 in the last meeting. But, the motor heads use tea party tactics, yell, boo, and hiss and do a great job of being obnoxiously vocal at these meetings. Please try to attend and you are welcome to forward this email on to those who care. Thx, --**** ****, Mat-Su Ski Club Member

What:
March 2, 2010
Borough Assembly Meeting - Public Hearing
Proposed Hatcher Pass Motorized Corridor (Reso. 10-11)
6:30 PM
Assembly Chambers
Mat-Su Borough Bldg.
350 E. Dahlia Ave.
Palmer
www.matsugov.us/Assembly

P

pura vida

Nov 26, 2007
My wife forwarded his email to me and this is my initial reply.

Mr Jones,

My name is Cory *****, ***** is my wife and is how I received your email. I would first like to thank you for your email because it has and will be posted on a number of "motor head" sites and should help motivate more people who use the area to come to the meeting on the 2nd. I personally, have spend years listening to non-motorized users, more often than not nordic skiers complain about all motorized use of any area regardless of designation and frankly i have had my fill. I was born and raised in Alaska, have lived here my entire life and am now raising my own family in the Mat-Sue area. In the winter i am an avid snowmachiner and snowboarder. During our summer months I spend every weekend on either my mountain bike (xc or downhill) or dirt bike. Many of these weekends have been spent in the Hatcher Pass area which I have enjoyed since i was 8 years old skiing 16 mile while one of my parents shuttled me and my friends up and down. The reason i relate thise details is two fold: First i am not just a loud obnoxious "motor head" that has no respect or appreciation for other forms of activities, and second i have spent the last 25+ years enjoying the Alaskan outdoors and Hatcher Pass specifically. In all of my time in the backcountry, generally i have found the only people who have an issue with other users are skiers, most commonly nordic skiers. This group seems to be he ones that are either unwilling or unable to share the vast Alaskan backcountry. Also it is important to keep in mind Hatcher Pass is state PUBLIC land, it is NOT a wilderness area. Public land is designed to be enjoyed by the public, all of the public, not just limited to specific users. And yes i have heard the old tired argument that "we are not against motorized users but this just isn't the right place or time." Except it is irrelevant what the time and place is, you and those who think like you will NEVER be in favor of allowing motorized access and ALWAYS be in favor of limiting or eliminating it. I could go on and on but i'm sure my comments, opinions, and arguments will simply continue to fall on deaf ears. I am just sick of the close minded, hollier-than-thow, elitist attitude spewed forth by people who use terms such as "motor heads" and "tea party tactics" in the context of your email.

The skiers out numbered the motorheads 5 - 1 in the last meeting. But, the motor heads use tea party tactics, yell, boo, and hiss and do a great job of being obnoxiously vocal at these meetings. Please try to attend and you are welcome to forward this email on to those who care. Thx, --Chris Jones, Mat-Su Ski Club Member

Gee, how hard is it for me to use the same ignorant stereotypes. Sounds like another elitist, left wing, blind following NEA member, liberal to me. See that is the easy way to go. The difficulty comes when one tries to open their mind to other opinions and choices of recreation. Not to even mention you chose to use a public school work email to send out clearly personal opinions. Enjoy your day.

Cory ******

P

pura vida

Nov 26, 2007
This is the attitude we are up against and they have the ear of the DNR so we really need more people to come to he meeting to represent motorized users. Some may not agree completely with my response but i didn't feel it was over the top. we have talked back and forth again through email and he almost seemed reasonable the second time around... but it is the underlying attitude that is the real concern. come and support your activity.

pv

P

pura vida

Nov 26, 2007
damnit, I can't edit my title and my dumb**s misspelled why as way. cool!

I

IQRIDR

Nov 27, 2007
Mountains, Alaska
I tip my hat to you, sir.

This really goes to show their state of mind and attitude towards "motor heads", we need to be showing up to these meetings, and apparently boo, hiss, and use our tea party tactics.

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
I can not say it enough people. If you care about being able to ride, to one evenig out of your life and attend this meeting. NUMBERS DO MATTER! Like was also pointed out in that letter, and I have pointed out many times before as well, leave your attitudes in the truck. They have no place in a meeting/debate. They only make us look like the stereotype that is already painted upon us. Good luck all with this round.

kev_alaska

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
Anchorage Alaska
Hatcher Pass Meeting

We are gathering lots of attention for this meeting. In order to get our support of the motorized resolution as coherent as possible, several organizations have secured the train station in Palmer for a pre meeting gathering. This will give us a chance to go over some salient talking points and gather as many people as possible. The Pre-meeting will be at 5:30. There are lots of people going from Anchorage to the meeting, so if someone needs a ride, lets get together and coordinate these items. If everyone who advocates or uses motorized recreation calls or tells 2 people about this meeting, we can begin to use our combined voice to begin to reclaim areas we have been losing to the lock out artists.....

Lets keep this on top until after the meeting. Then we can report back the results for everyone.

Kevin Hite
Alaska State Snowmobile Association

P

pura vida

Nov 26, 2007
thanks kevin

i should be able to make the 5:30 pre-meet. ( i do only live a couple of miles from there...) sure would be nice to get a large number of people there to show support. it would be nice if we had enough to surprise the "other side" of our turn out. we will see. as i am sure most already know, yelling and obscenities are usually not helpful. i'm not real concerned about it but lets not look like a bunch of back woods hillbillies (no offense to those wonderful back woods hillbillies that we all know!). you know that if they have a chance, especially if we have large numbers, they will try to divert the focus from our numbers to an incident or two of someone acting less then civil. and then try to paint us all with the same brush.

ok, i'm done lecturing. call your friends, get people to come out and show support. it is important.

pv

Last edited:
R
Nov 23, 2001
Sterling, AK
Why am I always on the Slope when these meetings take place? Do they have my schedule?

You're going to have to speak up for me too Cory. I'll try to send a couple people in my place ok!

Thanks for bringing this to our attention!!!

B
Feb 12, 2006
Eagle River
I have been to three of the DNR meetings regarding the proposed changes for the Chugach Access Plan ~ which by the way is available for review and comment at http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/units/chugach/chugachaccess.htm they are also hosting more public meetings so that the public can ask questions and make comments.

I have never seen the above mentioned behavior of motor heads at any of these type of meetings. Opinions were very eloquently, professionally and respectfully delivered. It is disappointing that one persons perception of our community is so tarnished and thrust upon others in such a manner. Many of us are avid outdoorsmen/women, using all forms of motorized and non motorized venues for our recreation. I have been hiking (summer and winter), cross country skiing, gold panning, berry picking, four wheeling and snowmachining in the Hatcher Pass area. It is not a regular playground for me as much these days, but I don't want to see any more limitations/closures for motorized use in this great state of ours.

We have been disappointed by yet respectful of the lack of compromise on behalf of the planners and non motorized users of public land, only to be further restricted in the process. Contrary to the opinion of some, it is possible for us to cohabitate and recreate within the same boundaries.

I will see if I can round up the Tuesday night dinner crew and head out in support... promise not to yell, boo or hiss ;) ;)

W

Winter Project

Dec 3, 2007
Anchorage / Gwood
www.myspace.com
I get out of class @ 5:15 tomorrow. I will try to leave a tad bit early and if nothing else will make 6:30 meeting.

I've heard many people say they will attend these meetings - and seen about half show up. Quit talking and start doing. Ya it might be an inconvenience, but at least its one that is worth the effort.

Thanks for the post(s), and hope to see everyone there!

kev_alaska

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
Anchorage Alaska
Pre meeting

We will be going over the resolution in detail during the pre-meeting. I will be bringing out lots of pens and paper for people to make thier own talking points prior to the assembly meeting. Nothing is better testimony than using your own words to let the assembly know where we stand.

Once again, let us know if anyone needs a ride and we will coordinate if possible.

Kevin

B
Feb 12, 2006
Eagle River
Heads up everyone... the Assembly meeting starts at 6pm, but the Special Orders section of the meeting doesn't start until 7pm and the motorized corridor resolution is the second item on the agenda at that point. This is from the Assembly Agenda in regards to what we are going in support of:

2. Resolution Serial No. 10-011: A RESOLUTION SUPPORTING A MOTORIZED OFF-ROAD RECREATION CORRIDOR ALONG THE APPROXIMATE ROUTE OF THE CARLE WAGON TRAIL AS IT ENTERS THE HATCHER PASS MANAGEMENT AREA (HPMA), GOVERNMENT PEAK SUBUNIT, AT MILE 1 EDGERTON-PARKS ROAD TO THE EXISTING MOTORIZED CORRIDOR GOING FROM THE GOLD MINT TRAIL PARKING AREA TO THE TOP OF HATCHER PASS AND SUPPORTING A MOTORIZED OFF-ROAD RECREATION CORRIDOR FROM THE CARLE WAGON ROAD AS IT ENTERS THE HPMA, GOVERNMENT PEAK SUBUNIT WEST TO THE AREA OPEN TO MOTORIZED USE BEYOND GOVERNMENT CREEK IN THE HPMA, HILLSIDE SUBUNIT.

Reactions: akrevrider
P

pura vida

Nov 26, 2007
good info thanks. as many others i'm sure, i just go this from dnr.

Dear Alaskan,

The Alaska Department of Natural Resources, Division of Mining, Land and Water (DMLW), has released the Public Review Draft of the 2010 Hatcher Pass Management Plan.

The State would like your input about the information in this management plan. To facilitate this, two scoping meetings have been scheduled to provide information and to obtain your comments and recommendations. You are welcome to come to all meetings that are held. Please see the attached letter for detailed information regarding this public review draft and the dates, times, and locations of each meeting.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact me. Thank you!

Philana Jarvis

Philana Jarvis

Land Use Planner

State of Alaska Department of Natural Resources

Division of Mining, Land & Water

Resource Assessment & Development Section

550 W. 7th Ave., Ste. 1050

Anchorage, AK 99515

Phone: (907)269-8529

Fax: (907)269-8915

kev_alaska

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
Anchorage Alaska
Borough Resolution Meeting

Ok we got kicked last night. 34 testifed for, 34 testified against. We had a lot more people there than they did, but the public testimony went on past 11 PM, so lots of our side (you know, the ones with jobs...) had to take off for home and family.

Looked like the assembly had this worked out ahead of time, Assembly person Bettine at one point looked to be reading from notes as she moved to postphone the resolution until the assembly could form a work party on possible changes of the resolution to match and augment the DNR public comment process. Only problem was that she set the assembly work session for mid april. That is six weeks away and the DNR process closes in 8 weeks. That would only leave the borough two weeks to gather the stakeholders (that is us), work out a compromise and present it to DNR for inclusion. Not likely that the borough can make anything happen in six weeks, much less get a compromise agreemet from all the user groups in the two week window after that. Basically Bettine procedurally killed the resolution. Assembyman Arvin argued that this motion would kill it.

Only assemblymen Arvin and Ewing supported the corridor throughout the night. Every other assembly person voted to essentially kill the resolution. Lets remember that during election cycles. We will all remind each other.

Sorry I didn't bring back better news. The resolution was amended so many times during the evening that it was at best, confusing to everyone. We would have had better luck with a simple resolution stating support for a motorized corridor and left all the details out.

Thanks to all the people who showed up. They will eventually get the message that we are not going away. Now we have the DNR Hatcher Plan to comment on and work through. As mentioned earlier, only 60 days for written comments and workshops. The workshop dates and locations are on the Hatcher Pass Management plan string...

kev_alaska

Premium Features