• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Good avy beacons

B
Dec 19, 2021
Alberta
So i did a little reading about avy beacons and i think its time for me to upgrade from my peips freeride my uncle gave me to something new. So what are some good options out there currently doesnt have to be mega fancy but still something decent. I believe we have all 3 main brands bca, orvotox and mummut in town

K
Nov 30, 2008
Reno, NV
I upgraded to a BCA Tracker S a couple of years ago. It's three antenna, compact , very simple to use. Has a manual switch from transmit to search. It really shines in the >30m search, very fast display when bracketing in the fine search. Has two cool features for multiple burials. One is Signal Suppression, the other is Big Picture. Not complicated to use, which is why I bought it.

Only con so far is when signal is in that 40m-50m range. Can be spotty, need to just do your search pattern and pick up a stronger signal and then it's real quick.

B
Dec 19, 2021
Alberta
I upgraded to a BCA Tracker S a couple of years ago. It's three antenna, compact , very simple to use. Has a manual switch from transmit to search. It really shines in the >30m search, very fast display when bracketing in the fine search. Has two cool features for multiple burials. One is Signal Suppression, the other is Big Picture. Not complicated to use, which is why I bought it.

Only con so far is when signal is in that 40m-50m range. Can be spotty, need to just do your search pattern and pick up a stronger signal and then it's real quick.
Ok will defientlt consider that one. Im intrigued by the tracker 3. i heard the tracker 4 is the same with a few feature that arent worth the extra

Bowtie496

Lifetime Membership
Jun 7, 2010
Carey, ID
Check out the Arva Neo Pro. I got one last year using a SAR discount and spent the season testing it. I normally use a BCA Tracker and Ortovox. I found the Arva to have great range and is really fast and easy to use. You can find them under $300 if you look. Like every transceiver, practice and familiarity is the key.

LoneViper

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Great Falls, Montana
I think I would look at what the other riders in your group use and maybe go with the same brand. That way everyone is used to the same equipment. We all use Tracker 3

B
Dec 19, 2021
Alberta
I ended up getting the tracker 3. Happy with the float 25 turbo pack my uncle gave me and the stealth probe that came with with it. Same I’m happy with with the bca radios my and my dad bought last year. Also wasn’t to damaging on the pocket lol

Premium Features